dollar ride taxi

mono

hi all, i will be going to st thomas in jan 2011 in royal caribbean adventure of the seas. i will be docking at charlotte amalie port. i would like to go to sapphire beach and would like to take the dollar taxi. does anybody know if i can take it near the port? i call royal caribbean and they told me the only name for the port they have in their system is charlotte amalie. this sounds like the name of the town. not sure if port has some other name. they told me the harbor is near by. i been to st thomas before in charllote amalie and at the end of the dock terminal where the shops are i saw taxi which charge $10 pp. i was not aware of dollar taxi. however, this time i would like to take the dollar taxi. can somebody provide info on this. thanks a lot

Not sure where you will be docking, when we were there 3 weeks ago, the RCL ship docked at Havensight.

At Crown Bay were a HAL and a Celebrity ship.

You can take the $2 taxi from Crown Bay. Its very easy and a fun way to get to a beach or just see a bit of the island.

Full instructions as to where to find the $2 taxi near Crown Bay is in another thread. Just do a search if you need that info.

thank you everybody. warmwater, did you took the same ship for RC (adventure of the seas) leaving from puerto rico? i called royal caribbean and they couldnt tell me what is the name of the port. i heard the $2 taxi will charge tourist regular rate of $10. is this true? how can i make sure i get charge the $2? thanks

thank you everybody. warmwater, did you took the same ship for RC (adventure of the seas) leaving from puerto rico? i called royal caribbean and they couldnt tell me what is the name of the port. i heard the $2 taxi will charge tourist regular rate of $10. is this true? how can i make sure i get charge the $2? thanks

This was the info I found... I found this post, and see below for comments I read from a local st. thomas person as well...

"This trip, we opted to enjoy Sapphire Beach on our own and shop Havensight at the pier. Despite what everyone at the pier will tell you (and they will lie to you), you can get local transportation for $2 per person in an open-air taxito Sapphire Beach. Simply walk out of the Havensight pier main gate, cross the street, turn left and walk until you get to the Bus Stop (there is a pullover area) across from K-Mart and cross the street so that you are standing on the K-Mart side of the street. It is a leisurely 10 to 15-minute level walk. When you see an open-air taxi drive up, flag him down, tell him where you wish to go and enjoy the trip. The drive takes about 20 to 30 minutes each way to Sapphire Beach depending upon traffic. Pay upon exiting the taxi. If you are going to Sapphire Beach, you will be dropped off at the entrance to the Sapphire Beach hotels which is at the top of a hill. A short 5-minute walk will get you on the beach.....Pick up the taxi again where it dropped you off."

Another post I found said these safari taxis that the locals use look similar to what the group groups use. So when they stop you have to ask where they are going, to see if in the same direction you are. You get in the back and don't expect people to move over for you - just find an open spot and sit down.

When will you be on the Adventure? Our family will be as well in Jan.!

Archived