Food? Is it going downhill all over or is it ship by ship?

We have been going on 3 cruises per year and remain very satisfied with the food.

DW has quite a few food allergies and they do an outstanding job of making food for her special needs.

They have cut costs on beef but do like what they are serving now.

The short ribs for example are outstanding.

They're basically serving banquet food. That's about all you can expect when they're trying to feed several thousand people at once.

I'm not sure about the lasagna, but I'm pretty sure that spinach is edible.

As for their melting cake, I've never really liked Carnival's. A proper molten cake is made with a piece of real frozen chocolate in the middle, which melts when the cake is cooked. Carnival just squirts chocolate flavored corn syrup on the cake. Again, that's a banquet version of the cake, and really all you should expect in a banquet environment.

Wrong Hershey breath. I've watched them make the melting cake. It's not made with a squirt of syrup. It's made with melted semi-sweet chocolate.

Here's a link to the recipe. http://www.examiner.com/cruise-ships-in-charlotte/carnival-cruises-warm-chocolate-melting-cake-secret-recipe-revealed

The only thing missing on that recipe is the fact that on Carnival the ramekins sit in water for even heating while in the oven.

I've been on 4 CCL cruises since 2007, including 2 short cruises, and am planning a fifth in May 2011. I went on Princess Sapphire last March, and thought the food was better on all 4 CCL cruises than Princess. I tend to eat mostly in the MDR for most meals, and visit the buffet only occasionally. I don't go to the late night or chocolate buffets because we don't stay up that late, so I can't comment on that. My meals in the MDR have always been well prepared, artfully presented, and served at the right temperature. I have not noticed any decline in food, but while I enjoy the food very much, it's not the central focus of my cruise. If CCL is saving money by cutting back on portion size or reducing waste in the buffet, I'm all for it. It may keep my cruise cost down. Still the best vacation vaue!:)

Give me something of high quality and it won't go to waste!!! How many times have you been to the buffet and picked something that would normally appeal to you, but tasted terrible?

So the way I see it they are actually spending more money on food cost. An unhappy guest will order another entree or throw away food not b/c they are full, but b/c the taste or quality is bad.

Imagine if you knew your entree was going to be spectacular and of appropriate size would you even consider order 2 entree at MDR or loading up you plate at the buffet?

Give me something of high quality and it won't go to waste!!! How many times have you been to the buffet and picked something that would normally appeal to you, but tasted terrible?

Or my eyes are bigger than my stomach when I make a salad and grab a few things to try.

But I have to admit the spicy fried chicken the last sea day was the best Iv had it. Crisp for a change. I really thought this last time the food was better, not worse. .. and Im not a carnival cheerleader, but the food was good to me.

In 30 cruises I truly cannot remember seeing any food returned for a quality issue by us, our tablemates or other tables around us.

That doesn't mean that everything has always been spectacular. Just never a real problem.

Charlie

In 2006, we did the Liberty with the Georges Blanc menu. We decided to forgo CCL for awhile, as the food was awful. It was my parent's first cruise, and they liked it, but they had never tried it before! I actually lost weight on that cruise. 12 oz pieces of meat with 4 little green beans on top of a tomato is just not that appetizing. The only thing that we enjoyed were the new desserts.

The opportunity arose to take a short cruise a few months later, and we decided the price was right. Am glad we did, as it proved to us that sometimes it's the sailing (eg. EC or kitchen crew) that just don't put the love into it.

And FYI - my DH has a Red Seal in cooking here in Canada, and we enjoy a large variety of foods, no food snobs here!

They're basically serving banquet food. That's about all you can expect when they're trying to feed several thousand people at once.

As for their melting cake, I've never really liked Carnival's. A proper molten cake is made with a piece of real frozen chocolate in the middle, which melts when the cake is cooked. Carnival just squirts chocolate flavored corn syrup on the cake. Again, that's a banquet version of the cake, and really all you should expect in a banquet environment.

I am glad that someone else realizes that mass market cruise lines do not serve gourmet food, or that there is anything special about it.

Wrong Hershey breath. I've watched them make the melting cake. It's not made with a squirt of syrup. It's made with melted semi-sweet chocolate.

Here's a link to the recipe. http://www.examiner.com/cruise-ships-in-charlotte/carnival-cruises-warm-chocolate-melting-cake-secret-recipe-revealed

The only thing missing on that recipe is the fact that on Carnival the ramekins sit in water for even heating while in the oven.

However they make it I think it is horrible.

Just a point to make. Carnival is the lowest price cruise line. Price = quality. So one of the biggest hospitality expenses on the ship is food. So say goodbye to Filets, and hello to chunks of undistinquishable meats.

However, it doesn't stop me from going, just my expectation is based on Price = quality.

Just a point to make. Carnival is the lowest price cruise line. Price = quality. So one of the biggest hospitality expenses on the ship is food. So say goodbye to Filets, and hello to chunks of undistinquishable meats.

However, it doesn't stop me from going, just my expectation is based on Price = quality.

We feel the same way...you get what you pay for. If you have cruised for 5+ years things have changed, most would agree for worse, and not just food quality.

The question I have for the cruise industry, is how far can they push the passengers with cuts before they will no longer cruise with that brand? Does anyone pay attention when past passengers stop cruising with their brand?

I guess if you elected to no longer sail with say Carnival and moved on to Princess, then technically they have not lost your business...

I think it varies not only by ship, but by chef to chef. I was on the Fascination in early November and the food was some of the best we've had along with the Pride. But when we did the Behind the Fun tour the head chef told us that was his last cruise before vacation and he'd be home for Christmas for the first time in 25 years. So I'm wondering if the head chef has more to do with it since I know the normal one for the Fascination is on vacation now?

A few years ago on the Glory we had not so great food all week. Not well prepared, cold sometimes, fatty cuts of beef that were inedible at times and thought things were going downhill. The our last three cruises the food has been great again.

I've been in the galley while they were making it - it's made from melted blocks of Swiss chocolate - can't remember the brand now but they even showed us the wrappers.

Price = quality??

I don't agree at all. With quantity comes buying power. Block buying avails getting product at a reduced price, where you can offer the same item at a discount, if you so desire.

I've always thought I got a superior product for a cheaper fare making it all a superior value.

Until my last cruise.

I believe most of the main stream cruiselines are cutting costs wherever they can. I have family just back from a Celebrity cruise, and they say that the food was not as good as previous cruises on that line. It wasnt bad, but just not quite as good as before. As for Carnival, I cant say I feel that the food has gone "downhill" as such, just that there have been some changes. Some of those changes I like and some I dont. As of my most recent cruise on the Freedom, I thought the food was very good if not excellent. Sure there were some things I could no longer get in the MDR that I enjoyed in years gone by, but there were plenty of new things on the menu that I thougt were outstanding! JMHO.:)

A year ago I thought the food had gone downhill. This year I thought they had improved it a lot. Especially the pork chop on the first night. A very large cut, very tasty and well prepared. All of the food seemed to be improved from my previous cruise. It's amazing how they do it at such a low cost per person per day.

I spelled it incorrectly as part of an inside joke (I have raging ADD) . I changed it, not as funny if your not in on the joke. Thanks:)

Actually after reading his post, I went back and read your signature and I got it right away....I also have raging ADD! LOL! I kind of like the original.....:)

The declining food quality is evident.

As in most things in life, you get what you pay for.

Carnival allocates about $8 - $10 per day per passenger for food.

However, they do offer alternatives for more $$$.

We were on our second CC ship back over Thanksgiving on the Fascination. Overall it was a great cruise, we had a blast and loved the slides on the back of the ship. The food however left something to be desired. We had been on the Triumph , her second week out of refurb, prior to that and it was a great trip. The food was fantastic, the staff was on point and it was a great family trip. However on this past trip, I noticed that the food was not up to what we had on the Triumph. The buffets were "okay", the chocolate buffet was not even recognizable as the chocolate buffet. I ordered the lasagna one night and it had so much spinach and other stuff in it that I found it impossible to eat. Now before I start getting slammed. I am really not hard to please with regards to food. When I see people say "oh the food was awful, it was like apple bees" I am completely happy with that. A day I don't have to cook is a good one but this was seriously lacking. Even the melting chocolate cake was hit or miss half the time. We are thinking about booking again on the Triumph but have seen recent reviews and the complaints have been about food. I saw one review even speak about the same lasagna. Is this fleet wide, industry wide or what?

Thoughts?

I have found the the quality of food on the mainstream lines has deteriorated over the last 10 years according to my taste. In particular, I will no longer sail with Carnival and NCL for that very reason. Having said that, there are still a few cruise lines that manage to produce high quality food on a consistent basis. I now sail with them.

The declining food quality is evident.

As in most things in life, you get what you pay for.

Carnival allocates about $8 - $10 per day per passenger for food.

However, they do offer alternatives for more $$$.

$8 - $10 I eat that much in smoked salmon for breakfast !

I suppose not every one wants or appreciates fine dining on a cruise ship. If there is a segment of the population that is quite happy to dine out at Applebys, Perkins or McDonalds at home, why would they want to spend more $$ per day to have a fine dining experience on board a cruise ship? Some cruise lines are going to cater to that travel segment, and good for them. But since I enjoy fine dining, I am going to search out those cruise lines that deliver that experience on a consistent basis. And I am willing to pay more for it.

Archived