Freestyle Cruising?

LittleMissMagic

My wife and I just returned from our first ever cruise, the Norwegian Sky to the Bahamas. A big reason we selected NCL for our first cruise was the freestyle concept. I'm a huge foodie - and the specialty restaurants were interesting to me. Also, we have to be in the right mood to socialize with strangers - so the ability to enjoy a private meal at whatever time we chose was perfect. We enjoyed it so much - that we took advantage of their Cruise Rewards program and already plunked down a deposit for a future cruise with NCL.

We did notice that people wore all different kinds of attire (we wore nice jeans, and collared shirts) and it didn't seem to bother anyone. We did bring semi-formal attire, with the intention of dressing up for our night in Le Bistro. But, the beauty of NCL is when we pulled our attire out of the suitcase and realized it was too wrinkled to wear to dinner - we could still dine in Le Bistro and no one batted an eye.

I suspect that the move away from formal nights may be due, in part, to the luggage restrictions that are now being imposed by most airlines. Fancy duds are great, but they can take up a lot of room if one has only limited space in a suitcase.

We sailed on the Sprit from Boston to Bermuda last spring, and were initially happy to have the freestyle dining option, as we hate to have to follow a schedule when on holiday. However, we found the freestyle experience to be impersonal and rushed. The waiter would appear, take our entire order (including dessert), and proceed to drop each menu item on our table with very little interaction. On some evenings, it was barely a notch above "fast-food" dining.

Were we to do it over again, I think we would opt for a set dining time.

what would make you remember to eat by having a set time anymore than having choices? That being said I am thinking you seem to be someone who likes regimentation more than a relaxed atmosphere. Probably other lines would be more to your liking.

Nita

Because if I have a scheduled time that I am supposed to go to dinner, then I will watch the time and get ready for dinner. If I have a large margin of time during which I can eat, then I'll probably put it off, thinking oh, I'm not hungry and I'm having a good time, I'll just eat later. And then the time will be gone.

On other vacations that aren't cruises, I often accidentally skip meals. But since it's not a cruise, it saves me money. On a cruise, I want to get as much out of the prepaid food as I can! :D

then I guess its time for me to learn which ones appreciate versus those who "expect" :eek:

I never fully understood the dress code thing. I guess folks think that people will be better behaved if dressed in a $1,000 suit. I've seen CEOs come to work in jeans and T-shirt, and do fine. Prime example, look at Mark Zuckerberg of Facebook. He offended others daily, by showing up to their meetings in pajamas.

I guess that comes with age. sorry to go too far off topic.

The "appreciate" lines are typically your less expensive ones.... Norwegian, Carnival, and Royal Caribbean.

We sailed on the Sprit from Boston to Bermuda last spring, and were initially happy to have the freestyle dining option, as we hate to have to follow a schedule when on holiday. However, we found the freestyle experience to be impersonal and rushed. The waiter would appear, take our entire order (including dessert), and proceed to drop each menu item on our table with very little interaction. On some evenings, it was barely a notch above "fast-food" dining.

Were we to do it over again, I think we would opt for a set dining time.

We had exactly the same experience last spring on the Spirit. Maybe we were on the same cruise! The service was terrible and the waiter usually dropped our food on the table and ran. I guess when they don't have to wait on you every night, the level of service deteriorates.

We recently went on our first Freestyle cruise, pretty much expecting to not like that mode of dining... but we were pleasantly surprised! We loved our waitress the first night in the main dining room, so from then on, we came to dinner approximately the same time every night and asked for a table in her section. After the 3rd night or so, we didn't have to do that-- they knew us and had the same table ready for us! Our waitress was not only efficient, but warm and friendly, and getting to know her was one of the highlights of our cruise. BTW, we found the food as good as, if not better than, the food we've had on other cruises.

And for those discussing dress codes, please note that I personally saw several shorts-and-tee-shirt-dressed folks pleasantly turned away from the main dining room (but they're allowed in the other main dining room). On "dress up or not night," there were plenty of dressed-up folks, and there were also lots of places set up around the ship for them to have their formal photos done.

I've never done the Hawaii cruise, but I've heard many times that the service (all by Americans, since it's the only US-flagged ship) was poorer than on other ships.

Also, somebody asked when "anytime dining" was implemented on other cruise lines. We had it on Princess in 2004.

Some (most?) lines have a children's menu that include burgers, fries, hot dogs and banana splits. I've seen adults order from the menu at dinner . . . . no problem:)

Charlie

We cruised with a friend who ordered every meal off of the childrens menu! He would not try any food that he did inot know exactly what it was. I felt bad for him, but was happy he could order kids food to eat!

Thanks for the responses, guys. I'm not sure that freestyle is for me. I like having a set time for dinner because otherwise I might forget to go (that happens to me a lot at home... please no flames). And I like looking at other people's outfits on formal nights. I don't think I would be bothered by someone sitting beside me in jeans, but I'm a big people watcher and I love to stake out a spot in the atrium to watch other guests take photos on formal nights.

I might give it a try sometime... maybe for Hawaii? They seem to have the most Hawaii itinerary options.

The very things that Freestyle stands for is what DH and I enjoy about it. We can eat when

and wherever we choose. He dislikes formal night, but always wears nice shirts & slacks. I'll bring a cocktail dress for dress up or not night.

My latest cruise was Boston to Bermuda on the NCL Spirit. We did sit in the atrium, and watch people take formal pictures. There was an entire family (babies included), dressed in formal wear. The babies wore tuxes for the photos.

I did the Hawaiian cruise aboard the NCL Pride of Aloha. That ship is now reflagged back to international, and known once more as the NCL SKY. Because the ship cruising Hawaii is American flagged, the staff & crew are Americans. You might find the level of service different from international crews.

We were part of a group of 16 friends, and loved the Hawaiian Islands. Each Island you visit has its own flavor. Maui was our favorite------loved the beaches. We hava a friend who lives there, so we were able to spend some time with her.

One good feature of freestyle, is disembarkation. You do not have to gather in a public room with carryons in hand. You can wait in the comfort of your own cabin, until your luggage label color is called. Labels are issued according to the time YOU choose to disembark. If you have an early flight, you can self disembark. This means that you must carry off all of your luggage.

I think that NCL has a good product------worth trying.

Barb

We cruised with a friend who ordered every meal off of the childrens menu! He would not try any food that he did inot know exactly what it was. I felt bad for him, but was happy he could order kids food to eat!

our foster daughter's partner is almost that bad, she orders steak, well done almost every night.

Nita

our foster daughter's partner is almost that bad, she orders steak, well done almost every night.

Nita

Once dined with a gentleman on a Legend of the Seas cruise years ago who was a former professor at Berkley. Every night he ordered a well done steak, baked potato and salad. Didn't matter what was on the menu, that's what he ordered.

His meal was so exciting that you would nod off between courses but always seem to wake up magically when the next course was served.

His evening post-meal was just about as exciting as we'd always see him sitting in the front row of the theater, in the same seat, every night with his head bowed in a sleeping pose until the curtains opened, nod off between acts and then look perfectly awake when the activity began again on stage.

Different strokes for different folks.:D

Dianne

I just did a 7-day cruise to Cabo/PV/Marzalan on the Norwegian Star. IMHO, I think the "free" aspect is not as good as a expected. Like other posts mentioned. Since you are not assigned to a restaurant and dinner time, most ppl would have dinner at around the same time, hence a long wait to be seated. You can avoid the waiting by having dinner very early or pretty late. Or, you can pay extra and eat at the specialty restaurants. But I didn't like to "pay" extra for my dinner after I pay for the cruise. The food selection of the breakfast buffet wasn't that great. It's the same thing everyday and the variety is sub-par compared to my experience on the Celebrity ships. I did feel that there were some corner cuttings in the food department, but it may be the same case in other cruise lines.

The only thing that I really care about the "free" style is no formal night, but many ppl do dress up for the photo shoots.

I just did a 7-day cruise to Cabo/PV/Marzalan on the Norwegian Star. IMHO, I think the "free" aspect is not as good as a expected. Like other posts mentioned. Since you are not assigned to a restaurant and dinner time, most ppl would have dinner at around the same time, hence a long wait to be seated. You can avoid the waiting by having dinner very early or pretty late. Or, you can pay extra and eat at the specialty restaurants. But I didn't like to "pay" extra for my dinner after I pay for the cruise. The food selection of the breakfast buffet wasn't that great. It's the same thing everyday and the variety is sub-par compared to my experience on the Celebrity ships. I did feel that there were some corner cuttings in the food department, but it may be the same case in other cruise lines.

The only thing that I really care about the "free" style is no formal night, but many ppl do dress up for the photo shoots.

wow, I can understand all you comment whether I agree or not except for the part about the breakfast buffet. We have cruised every mass marketed line and always thought the breakfast selection on NCL was as good or better than any other line. Yes, we have cruised the Star, so we can judge fairly. What more could you want? Lox daily, eggs benedict a couple of mornings, omeletes, homemake waffles, eggs cooked to order, hot and cold cereal, breakfast meats, pancakes and french toast. I could go on and on, what did you get on Celebrity that wasn't available on the Star? I found their buffets to be very similar.

Nita

wow, I can understand all you comment whether I agree or not except for the part about the breakfast buffet. We have cruised every mass marketed line and always thought the breakfast selection on NCL was as good or better than any other line. Yes, we have cruised the Star, so we can judge fairly. What more could you want? Lox daily, eggs benedict a couple of mornings, omeletes, homemake waffles, eggs cooked to order, hot and cold cereal, breakfast meats, pancakes and french toast. I could go on and on, what did you get on Celebrity that wasn't available on the Star? I found their buffets to be very similar.

Nita

Actually on our Dawn cruise, we had breakfast in both MDRs (Venetian and Aqua) never did go near the buffet. Service at breakfast time was very good in both MRDs, ditto food. Best of all is you didn't have to stand in line like a cafeteria with the crowds and somebody was serving you.

We never did go neat the buffet for any meals...........

I agree. If everyone eats dinner at the same time there's going to be a long wait. We don't go to dinner at peak hours though and we never experienced a long wait on any of our cruises, maybe 5 or 10 minutes at times and usually we were seated immediately. The only newer NCL ship I've been on is the Jewel and I heard a comment or two (or maybe read it in reviews here) that the breakfast buffet is the same every day. That's true. However, I can't imagine what else they could include. The variety of food to pick from is huge.

Actually on our Dawn cruise, we had breakfast in both MDRs (Venetian and Aqua) never did go near the buffet. Service at breakfast time was very good in both MRDs, ditto food. Best of all is you didn't have to stand in line like a cafeteria with the crowds and somebody was serving you.

We never did go neat the buffet for any meals...........

Since the MDR is open upon embarkation we are in the "never in the buffet" class also.

I believe NCL is the only mainstream line to have the MDR open at embarkation and on port days for lunch.

Charlie

Once you go freestyle, I swear you will never go back to another traditional cruiseline again! This March will mark out 3rd cruise in a row taken on NCL. I cant get the family to agree to even go back to RCCL?! Freestyle is the only way to go! Just ask my BF that wakes from a dead sleep, to go eat chicken wings at 3am at the Blue Lagoon! :rolleyes:

Enjoy your new freestyle cruising life!

Once you go freestyle, I swear you will never go back to another traditional cruiseline again! This March will mark out 3rd cruise in a row taken on NCL. I cant get the family to agree to even go back to RCCL?! Freestyle is the only way to go! Just ask my BF that wakes from a dead sleep, to go eat chicken wings at 3am at the Blue Lagoon! :rolleyes:

Actually, I have gone freestyle twice and can't wait to get back to traditional cruising. I guess it's really all about what you look for in a cruise experience. I think if I was traveling with children I would like it, but traveling with adults I prefer the traditional dining.

Actually, I have gone freestyle twice and can't wait to get back to traditional cruising. I guess it's really all about what you look for in a cruise experience. I think if I was traveling with children I would like it, but traveling with adults I prefer the traditional dining.

And the 3rd opinion is we love 'em both:p I'd hate for either one to disappear from the cruising scene.

It's all about choices. Last cruise was traditional dining; next cruise NCL Freestyle!! (With a bonus day on each end in NOLA - - Whoooooeeeee)

Charlie

We do travel with our children so eating when we want and where I want works best for us. I do love traditional dining when alone with my love. Its nice to have adult conversation while sharing good food and great wine! ;) Ok, So maybe its just that I love to cruise, PERIOD any cruise, doesnt matter as long as you take me too! Im easily pleased!;) LOL

We love what freestyle has to offer...dine where you want, when you want and with whom you want! When going to dinner, we dress as tho we were going to a nice restaurant at home, and there are many passengers who dress in more formal attire...and there are those who dress in shorts and a t-shirt. NCL used to refuse entry to those not dressed in "resort casual" but it seems the dress code is no longer enforced. I think it should be, but it really doesn't bother me to be sitting next a table of folks dressed in shorts & T's if NCL is OK with it. I am more interested in what's for dinner :D!

Why don't you give NCL a try...you might just sell yourself on Freestyle!

We do travel with our children so eating when we want and where I want works best for us. I do love traditional dining when alone with my love. Its nice to have adult conversation while sharing good food and great wine! ;) Ok, So maybe its just that I love to cruise, PERIOD any cruise, doesnt matter as long as you take me too! Im easily pleased!;) LOL

I so agree! Your post has me longing for a great bottle of wine, my hubby in a tux, and the sway of the sea! Now where did I put that cruise brochure...

There will always be those who prefer traditional dining, I can see why, but to me the positives about Freestyle outweigh the negatives. The only thing missing in freestyle might be the overall dining service, but what we love is not getting stuck at a table with people we have nothing in common with for 7 to 10 days. it has happened more times than not. I like to be able to choose when I want to eat with just hubby or when we would enjoy meeting someone new plus the idea of eating at 5:30 one night and 9pm the next.

There is no right answer.

Nita

It sounds to me like you will not be happy with the freestyle concept. Personally I don't like it either, but since I live in Maine it's the only cruise line available to me out of Boston that goes somewhere warm. The problem with freestyle is that some people construe it to mean that they can wear anything they want, anywhere they want. I don't think that's what NCL had in mind when they created the concept, but they lack the desire to enforce what they created. Not only will you see a lot of people who have made no effort to dress for dinner, but many will show up in the dining room in their Sunday best tee shirts and shorts. Some will disagree with me, but it ruins the dining experience for those of us who still strive for the classic cruising experience.

I too enjoy having the same table/table mates and waiters nightly; I have some friends to this day that I met at the dinner table years ago. I miss formal nights as well, when the dining room looks so elegant and magical. But, there are many reasons to choose a cruise, and you have to decide which details are deal breakers to you. For me, the ease of cruising without having to fly to port is more important than dining options. So, I wait for the day when other cruise lines decide to offer cruises out of Boston. One can only wish!

We are thinking NCL as it does Boston (and goes somewhere warm!). Have you ever just taken Concord down the day of the cruise? Thanks, Jan

Archived