Cruise ship in Naples/Capri in June

nana629

Relatively speaking, the attractions in the area are Pompei, Sorrento, the Amalfi Coast and Capri. Naples has some minor attractions, but nothing like the surrounding area. To be honest, what we saw of Naples (and it wasn't a thorough look by any means) wasn't all that attractive.

Similar situation in Livorno. Many head out to Florence, Lucca and the other walled and hill towns, and Pisa.

It seems everyone lands in Naples and then heads out to Capri or Pompeii. Is there not much to see in Naples?

CruiserBruce summarizes things well. There are famed museum options in Naples, but most regard the city has as a little "challenging" or gritty or worse. Since you are fairly new to these boards, I would welcome you to Cruise Critic. Here are a couple of other suggestions to help you and other future travelers. FIRST, scroll back through all of the earlier postings. You will see many different items on ports you would visit and/or at the board for each separate cruise line in planning for your upcoming cruise. SECOND, do a search on these boards by each city and you will see lots of postings on various subjects connected with each port stop. Then, after taking the time to get that background, see other experiences, etc., you can post with more specific questions in each port city. Be sure to have a title that is narrow to your question so that other can know what you are seeking. There are lots and lots of great people and information here on these boards. Don't be shy in asking follow-up questions. Folks are happy to share more when they know what you are seeking and background on your timing, cruise ship, travel party, personal interests and travel style, etc.

Below are some visuals for what I would consider the top three areas of most interest in this Naples area.

If anything, your problem is too many good options and too little time. This is true for the port nearby to Pisa/Florence, Rome and for the Naples area. You might grab, maybe from your public libraries or ask for them to do a book transfer they can process for you, such super excellent visual books such as Eyewitness, Insight, etc. Rick Steves, Fodors, Frommers, etc., can work well, too. In my opinion, no one travel book has it "ALL", perfectly and completely for all of your needs. These resources, especially the visual ones, can you help better figure out your priorities, in advance, for what you want to do and see. That early research is very important. Don't wait until you get on the ship to "GUESS" what might be of interest. I always build a "file" on my laptop computer for each port stop with highlights from that reading and then pulling up stories/articles from the travels sections of the New York Times, Telegraph of London, Wikipedia, etc. All of those help to consider your many great options. Amazon can be very in providing such books at reduced prices, plus some used books websites. Lots of great options!!! Especially in these days of the Internet, it makes things easier to research and plan ahead. You can use Google.com for great access to various text items, plus a wide variety of visuals and maps.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 27,800 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here are some samples of what we saw in Pompeii with our guide. There are a wide variety of buildings, interiors, art and architectural objects, etc. Very interesting and super historic!!!:

PompeiiOne.jpg

PompeiiTwo.jpg

As we approached Capri, here is one of the large rock formations with a boat shown circling the island, plus some other sights on and around Capri.:

CapriRock2.jpg

CapriHarborMountains.jpg

CapriRoofMountainView.jpg

Positano is uniquely built along the slopping mountain side along the scenic Amalfi Coast. Here's an artist's view as he paints this scenic site.

It-Positano.jpg

Thanks, it looks like I have lots of work to do.

The good news is that you have time to do it and prepare. We are scheduled on the Solstice from Barcelona June 7-19. We'll try not to drink all of the booze and eat too much of the food.

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 27,800 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

I couldn't disagree more with Bruce and Terry on this. Naples has a wealth of things to see and do - art, history, archeology, and amazing food, among others.

I'm afraid many Americans suffer from hearing bad things about Naples prior to ever going there, and then they find what they expect to see. Of course, this works well for those of us who have ventured beyond the stereotypes to enjoy the city - we don't wait on lines, or stand shoulder-to-shoulder with other tourists at every venue.

Consider any of the following:

• the world famous Archeology museum, which houses the finds from Pompeii, among other things
  • the museums and cloisters of Santa Chiara, which are stunningly beautiful
  • the collections and views at the Certosa di San Martino, which overlooks the port and houses an eclectic range of art and history
  • Castel Nuovo, right in front of the port
  • the royal palace and apartments at Palazzo Reale
  • Capodimonte art museum - huge, and housing one of the finest collections of paintings in Italy
  • the underground tour - fascinating, and wonderfully cool on a hot day
  • Dozens of churches loaded with art, including the Duomo, Capella Sansevero (housing the famous Veiled Christ), Gesu Nuovo, and San Gregorio Armeno
  • The excavations under San Lorenzo Maggiore (remains of the Greco-Roman city of Neopolis)
  • Pizza at Da Michele
  • Sfogliatelle at Mary's in the Galleria

When people tell you how awful a place is, Naples or anywhere else, ask them what they actually did there. If they tell you they saw all they needed to from the safety of their taxi, car, or tour bus ... well, take that for what it is.

I couldn't disagree more with Bruce and Terry on this. Naples has a wealth of things to see and do - art, history, archeology, and amazing food, among others.

I'm afraid many Americans suffer from hearing bad things about Naples prior to ever going there, and then they find what they expect to see. Of course, this works well for those of us who have ventured beyond the stereotypes to enjoy the city - we don't wait on lines, or stand shoulder-to-shoulder with other tourists at every venue.

• the world famous Archeology museum, which houses the finds from Pompeii, among other things
  • the collections and views at the Certosa di San Martino, which overlooks the port and houses an eclectic range of art and history
  • Capodimonte art museum - huge, and housing one of the finest collections of paintings in Italy
  • Dozens of churches loaded with art, including the Duomo, Capella Sansevero (housing the famous Veiled Christ), Gesu Nuovo, and San Gregorio Armeno
  • The excavations under San Lorenzo Maggiore (remains of the Greco-Roman city of Neopolis)
  • Pizza at Da Michele

When people tell you how awful a place is, Naples or anywhere else, ask them what they actually did there. If they tell you they saw all they needed to from the safety of their taxi, car, or tour bus ... well, take that for what it is.

Oh yeah; I'll have to agree. We had not heard much about the city of Naples when we took our kids, ages 12 and 8, for a lovely day to the museum, castle, palace, and on a walk in the shopping areas. On a subsequent trip we took a tour of the Amalfi Coast and Pompeii. In many ways we liked the day in Naples better! You just have to watch out for the crazy drivers, even when you're on the sidewalk.

At the very top of my post I noted: "There are famed museum options in Naples". Some love museums and great "old stuff", including me. Others don't care that much for those options. Clearly I noted you've got lots of great options in this port area. Depends on what folks like, where and how. But time is limited . . . versus . . . so many different potentials.

Maybe I'm just a bit odd, but I'm planning my first Med cruise and am as excited about Naples as anyplace else in Italy.

Capri, Almafi, etc. are beautiful. Naples is not. That's probably the biggest reason many people flee Naples for the coutryside. And there's certainlly nothing wrong with wanting to visit beautiful places.

But if you can deal with a bit of grittiness, there seems to be a ton to do in Naples. And it's right there.... no train/boat ride required. After long travel days in the rest of Italy, that should feel real nice.

Here's one website that got me excited for a day in Naples http://www.thefoodmaven.com/guide/one-day-walking-tour-of-naples.html .

Of course, this is all just dreaming. I may come back and report that Naples was horrible and wished I had gone elsewhere. But I doubt it.

Maybe I'm just a bit odd, but I'm planning my first Med cruise and am as excited about Naples as anyplace else in Italy.

Capri, Almafi, etc. are beautiful. Naples is not. That's probably the biggest reason many people flee Naples for the coutryside. And there's certainlly nothing wrong with wanting to visit beautiful places.

But if you can deal with a bit of grittiness, there seems to be a ton to do in Naples. And it's right there.... no train/boat ride required. After long travel days in the rest of Italy, that should feel real nice.

Here's one website that got me excited for a day in Naples http://www.thefoodmaven.com/guide/one-day-walking-tour-of-naples.html .

Of course, this is all just dreaming. I may come back and report that Naples was horrible and wished I had gone elsewhere. But I doubt it.

Thank you for that link. Even though I'm not planning on eating all day in Naples! It sounds just what I want to do in July. We have been to Capri and Herculaneum on previous stops, and Pompeii and Amalfi on land holidays, but never seen anything of Naples except for a very scary taxi ride!

We did cross the road once- we were fortunate a nun came along at the right time!

kate

We took the train to Herculanium when we went to Naples. On the way back, we walked around Naples and there's a really beautiful church. i'll be darned if i could remember the name though. Might have been Santa Maria Della Pace. There's definitely some things to see in Naples, and of course, gotta have the pizza. Personally I'd not want to be there at night though as I don't feel I'd feel safe there (despite the fact that I can roam NYC at 3am with no issues lol). It's all what you're used to, I guess.

• Pizza at Da Michele

The Capella San Severo is a site I've always wanted to visit. Unfortunately, our stop in Naples is on a Sunday, and the Capella is only open from 10 to 1, so it's impossible to squeeze it in and still make it out to Pompeii. Sammartino's Veiled Christ is an amazing sculpture, I'm always surprised that I never heard of it until I was in my late forties!

http://www.museosansevero.it/index_ing.html

Archived