Smuggling beer onto cruise ship

iurebekah3rt

I'm cruising Century on Jan 17th. I do not mind paying for alcohol prices on the cruise ship, but I dont drink regular beer. I'm a cider kind of girl (woodchuck, strongbow, etc). Celebritys website does not show that they carry any of these drinks on board.

Does anyone know how to smuggle beer on board?

I'm not trying to cheat the system, but Id love one of my favorite beers while laying out :)

All carryon luggage are x-rayed and scanned in airport style detectors. This quote is directly from Celebrity's Guest Conduct Policy:

On Celebrity Cruises, with the exception of embarkation day, when Guests are permitted to bring on board with them two (2) bottles of wine (which are subject to a corkage fee), per stateroom, guests are not permitted to bring alcoholic beverages on board for consumption or any other purpose. Alcoholic beverages that are purchased from onboard shops or in ports of call (which must be presented to security upon re-boarding), will be secured by ship's personnel and delivered to the guest’s stateroom just prior to the conclusion of the cruise. Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage, etc.) at any time, and those concealing or attempting to conceal alcohol will be subject to action pursuant to the "Consequences Section" of this Guest Conduct Policy. Guests under the age of twenty-one (21) who possess alcohol in violation of this policy will not have alcohol returned to them and appropriate consequences will be considered, including but not limited to loss of privileges to use the disco or other areas or facilities of the ship.

Guests who violate any alcohol policy, including but not limited to underage drinking; providing alcohol to minor(s); possessing, concealing or attempting to conceal alcoholic items in their luggage, when boarding, or while on board; or failing to consume alcohol responsibly, will be considered for discipline under the provisions of this policy.

Consequences

Failure to act in accordance with this policy may result in:

• Intervention by Security, other management personnel, or law enforcement

•*Removal of certain onboard privileges, which may include being detained, quarantined or confined in a cabin or holding cell

•*Confiscation of illegal/contraband/prohibited items (may be turned over to law enforcement authorities)

•*Denial of boarding on the current or any future Celebrity Cruises cruise

•*Reporting of incidents to government and law enforcement authorities for follow-on legal action

•*Removal from a ship at the next port of call. Guests removed from a Celebrity Cruises ship pursuant to this policy, are responsible for their own accommodations and transportation home, at their expense. Documentation requirements for re-entry into the guest’s home country are also the responsibility of the guest.

If you are lucky they may have Strongbow available, it's listed in their list of drinks. Perhaps someone that has cruised on the Century recently can post something about that. That said...

In the past I've smuggled a variety of beers onboard, simply because the selection of brew was so pitiful, I'm a microbrew person. The hardest part is getting bottles through - it requires careful packing. I'm sure that there is a posting somewhere on CC indicating proper packing techniques, usually requiring bubble-wrap and multiple large ziplocks. The last time I cruised I put some in my checked luggage (carefully packed), and, also included a 6 pack in a backpack which I carried on, both went through the embarkation port's security's x-ray without any issues at all. However, there are numerous stories of people being called down to the 'naughty room' to claim their luggage, my guess is that these are the folks with a large quantity of booze and/or beer. Some of my cruisepals have smuggled 2-3 cases of beer and multiple liters of booze onboard in the past, that required some ingenious packing.

One year, leaving out of San Francisco, I purchased quite a few IPA's (a very hoppy beer, with a strong smell). I placed these 22oz bottles in 2 ziplocks each, and wrapped them with various clothes. Well, short story long, as soon as I opened my luggage in the cabin I detected a very noticeable smell of hops, needless to say, I was doing laundry before we even pulled out. :)

This time around I'm going with the 'alcoholic package', although I may still bring a few bottles of IPA aboard in my backpack. If people can bring bottles of wine, why can't I bring a few bottles of quality brew?

Good luck if you try it...

I had a cider at the Aft bar on Summit in December (can't remember the brand but it was prob. one of those you mentioned). I agree that is a silly policy to limit pax to wine anyway. There are some beers now that cost much more than wine. I can understand not wanting people to bring on their own bar set up but they should not discriminate against beer drinkers!

I had a cider at the Aft bar on Summit in December (can't remember the brand but it was prob. one of those you mentioned). I agree that is a silly policy to limit pax to wine anyway. There are some beers now that cost much more than wine. I can understand not wanting people to bring on their own bar set up but they should not discriminate against beer drinkers!

I think the difference of wine vs. beer is that a lot of people actually do bring their own (favourite) wine on board to drink in the dining room, for which the ship charges a corkage fee. Now, if they could guarantee a large number of the passengers would bring their shore bought beer to the dining room and they could charge a cappage fee, I'm sure they'd allow it.:D

Wrap the cans in Xmas paper, put it on a skate board, attach a rope to it and pull it on board. If stopped, advise them that its a mobil cathetar bag and you have a medical condition that requires you to stow your 'medical sample' in an air tight container !!

:D

Yep you cant beat Scrumpy!!! So many bad memories lol....

I'm cruising Century on Jan 17th. I do not mind paying for alcohol prices on the cruise ship, but I dont drink regular beer. I'm a cider kind of girl (woodchuck, strongbow, etc). Celebritys website does not show that they carry any of these drinks on board.

I'm not trying to cheat the system, but Id love one of my favorite beers while laying out :)

Just put the stuff in a roller carry on. As it goes thru x-ray, if there are no weapons, you most likely will not have any problems -- it's the Port security, not the ship's security that's checking you, and they are looking for weapons and the like. If in a rare moment someone questions you, just tell them it's cider, you know, like bringing soda on board.

You'll be just fine. Enjoy your cruise.

Just put the stuff in a roller carry on. As it goes thru x-ray, if there are no weapons, you most likely will not have any problems -- it's the Port security, not the ship's security that's checking you, and they are looking for weapons and the like. If in a rare moment someone questions you, just tell them it's cider, you know, like bringing soda on board.

Have you seriously done this?? I can't imagine security just ignoring it from all the stories I've read on these boards.

You can attempt to "smuggle" anything on you want. If they find anything on the prohibited list, it's gone.

If you don't mind the loss and don't feel you have the right to fight it after signing the X contract, then do what you'd like.

You can find anecdotals from people that lost their "stash" as well as those who survived the security check. :)

You can attempt to "smuggle" anything on you want. If they find anything on the prohibited list, it's gone.

If you don't mind the loss and don't feel you have the right to fight it after signing the X contract, then do what you'd like.

You can find anecdotals from people that lost their "stash" as well as those who survived the security check. :)

My understanding is you don't lose it, it just gets confiscated until you disembark?? and then you can chug it on the way to the airport!

anecdotal maybe...but ive met lots and lots and lots of people who've 'survived' the security check...and a grand total of none who've lost their 'stash'.

As we say in England...fill your boots ;)

My understanding is you don't lose it, it just gets confiscated until you disembark?? and then you can chug it on the way to the airport!

That's a lot of beer to chug !:D

We actually received a bottle of limoncello from a tour guide in Naples. We had it taken away when we boarded as expected. However we got it back the final night before dinner. ;) So we had a few sips in our room predinner and a couple night caps. The rest went down the drain.

Well, here's language from the Guest Alcohol Policy from Celebrity's website--

Security may inspect containers (water bottles, soda bottles, mouthwash, luggage etc.) and will dispose of containers holding alcohol.

Further, it goes on to say--

Celebrity Cruises’ Guest Conduct Policy may be enforced, up to and including disembarkation, if a guest violates any alcohol policy. Guests under the age of twentyone (21) will not have alcohol returned to them. Guests who violate any alcohol policies, (over consume, provide alcohol to people under age twentyone (21), demonstrate irresponsible behavior, or attempt to conceal alcoholic items at security and or luggage check points or any other time), may be disembarked or not allowed to board, at their own expense, in accordance with our Guest Conduct Policy.

Emphasis mine. I know of no one who has actually been disembarked or refused passage due to attempted smuggling, but they do reserve that right. Likely they would only choose to enforce those provisions for repeat offenders and/or for those with whom they are experiencing other problems, but this is the stated policy. It seems that the usual practice is to confiscate the booze and return it at the end of the cruise, but I do seem to recall posts stating that their liquor was not returned. Interesting that with the wording of the policy they include luggage as a container, and therefore could theoretically dispose of the luggage!

Also, if you "chug it on the way to the airport", you're probably going to be denied boarding your flight;).

I am neither advocating or condemning smuggling, just thought CCers who were unaware of the language in the Guest Conduct Policy might like to know.

They had both on Eclipse.

Surprisingly, we purchased alcohol in port for gifts, and they let us take it each time. I mean, opened the bag, looked at the bottles and said, eh, they aren't very large, go ahead.

I've had mini bottles taken (and then returned the last night). These were sample gift packages of tequila at one of our Mexico stops. I've also had my purchase broken - we had a bottle of chocolate tequila (yum!) which they took and returned to us the last night - broken. They replaced it with another bottle of tequila - but it was not chocolate of course, and it was also not very good at all. It was also a hassle as they actually first brought the cracked original, leaking bottle to our room and we had to go through a number of gyrations to get a replacement. Word to the wise.

I've only bought alcohol ashore once and taken it back on board. It was on a Carribean cruise and the alcohol was bottles of rhum for consumption at home and for gifts. There was no problem as it was a P & O ship and no questions were asked.

Given the same scenario on a Celebrity ship, do you simply declare it and let them take it away for return on the last day ?

These two were listed on the sticky note on the board. Hope this helps!:)

Woodpecker Cider $6.5

Strongbow Cider $5.0

These two were listed on the sticky note on the board. Hope this helps!:)

Woodpecker Cider $6.5

Strongbow Cider $5.0

Well there you go, now you don't have to resort to a life of crime. ;)

And to the passenger who wants to smuggle a gun onboard - just put it in a roller carry-on and as it goes through x-ray, if there's no beer, you most likely will not have any problems. If in a rare moment someone questions you, just tell them it's a hairblower. Oh, and to the passenger who wants to smuggle drugs onboard? Just tell them it's a sugar substitute. Any other smuggling tips andr endorsements you folks want to share? Candles? Irons? Your next door neighbor?

I've only bought alcohol ashore once and taken it back on board. It was on a Carribean cruise and the alcohol was bottles of rhum for consumption at home and for gifts. There was no problem as it was a P & O ship and no questions were asked.

Given the same scenario on a Celebrity ship, do you simply declare it and let them take it away for return on the last day ?

Yes

And to the passenger who wants to smuggle a gun onboard - just put it in a roller carry-on and as it goes through x-ray, if there's no beer, you most likely will not have any problems. If in a rare moment someone questions you, just tell them it's a hairblower. Oh, and to the passenger who wants to smuggle drugs onboard? Just tell them it's a sugar substitute. Any other smuggling tips andr endorsements you folks want to share? Candles? Irons? Your next door neighbor?

calm down. Its none of those things....its a couple of bottles of cider.

Happy Smuggling

Archived