Smuggling beer onto cruise ship

iurebekah3rt

[quote name='arpster']I havent 'decreed' anything. The issues you mentioned cause problems for fellow passengers. Having a bottle in your luggage doesn't. Simple as that. Bottoms up.[/quote]

I love it when the response of anyone trying to rebut the argument that smuggling is wrong is "holier than thou", as if there is no justification for pointing out some obvious truths. No one is without sin; therefore, no one can ever take the position that anything is wrong.

You say that booze smuggling doesn't cause a problem for fellow passengers. For that to be true, it would have to be the case that everyone who supplements their drinking would otherwise consume the same amount of the ship's liquor, and they're only adding an odd extra tipple or two. If you want that extra tipple and supply it yourself, that's one or two extra tipples that you don't get from the ship. I agree the impact may be small, but that's like condoning shoplifting because the impact is small and, besides, they're stealing from the store, not me. It's not like the store is going to raise their prices to make up for the losses:rolleyes:. Please note that I'm not trying to say that smuggling is [I]stealing--[/I] that's actually the analogy for the drink sharing thread:D:eek:-- but the overall effects are the same.

To say that smuggling means higher cruise fares may or may not be the case. It's also possible that the cruise line makes up for the losses by just charging more for the drinks, and it's the high price of drinks that you say causes you to resort to smuggling. In effect, you could be part of the very reason that drink prices are higher than what they might otherwise be. It's not the only reason drink prices are what they are, but it's a contributing factor. The problem is they charge me the same amount that they do you, and you have the extra stash to draw from, so your overall cost is less than mine. How is this fair? And if your answer is to join you, then pretty soon everyone is smuggling and it becomes a larger problem.

People seem to take the attitude that the cruise lines are ripping us off by charging a high price for a drink. They're trying to make the most money off us that they can. Of course they are! That's why they're in business! If they feel that they're unable to meet their financial goals, they're not going to say "Well, if it weren't for smuggling, we project we would have been able to make X dollars more this year. Oh, well, it's our loss. What are we going to do? It wouldn't be fair to people who don't smuggle to charge a bit more for drinks or for cruise fares to make up the losses, so I guess that's that." No, they say, "We know we're going to lose about X dollars to smuggling this year, so we'll have to just treat that as an expense, cost of doing business. To make up for the loss, we'll have to raise the price of something, either on drinks or the overall cruise fare, but one way or another, our customers are going to have to pay more."

More money is coming out of my pocket because of the actions of those who feel that the rules don't apply to them, and I don't care if it's just a penny or if it's a thousand dollars, I don't appreciate it. Since it is closer to a penny, I don't get overly worked up about it (believe me, this rant is nothing), but when I see someone say "It doesn't hurt anyone" or "It's none of your business,", I feel the need to speak up.

please don't plow into me as we had the beverage package on our last two celeberity cruises. just my two cents, you are allowed one bottle of wine per person to enjoy in your cabin, i am not a big wine drinker and it upsets dh's stomach. why can't we have a bottle of baileys, or a small quantity of beer, maybe malibu to also enjoy in our cabin, not really fair..............i think that's where the smuggling comes in, we are all not wine drinkers...........

[quote name='PartyAllDaTyme'] I agree the impact may be small, but that's like condoning shoplifting <snip>...[/QUOTE]

Stopped reading after this preposterous and insulting comment...but Im sure you make some points that others of your ilk will agree with.

as for me...im just off to order some bubblewrap :cool::D

Happy Cruising.

Does it really matter what some consider fair or not. We know what the conditions are when we book our cruise. By booking we agree to abide by them. Is there really such a desperate need to be bad children? Is it possible to have fun and enjoy a vacation without being tipsy? It must just be the joy of trying to get away with something.:rolleyes:

[quote name='Wine-O']My experience on ALL of my Celebrity cruises is that on [B]initial embarkation[/B], port security screens your carry-ons, you walk on board the ship and your picture is taken on your seapass, then you are handed a glass of champagne and invited to head up to the buffet for some lunch.

On port visits the ship sets up its own security and screening, and it's hit or miss whether or not they will confiscate any alcohol carried on board. It's more "hit" than "miss."

I've known people who fill up their rumrunners ashore and put them in the large pockets of their cargo pants. That won't set off the walk-thru x-ray machine. :D[/quote]
Actually for our last two cruise embarkations which were out of San Juan there were two security checks of carry on bags. One in the terminal building where you also had to go through a metal detector and just after you had your seapass picture taken and card scanned when boarding, there was another X-ray check onboard of your carry on bag. It's been the same, ship security onboard check of carry on bags at embarkation for the seven RCI cruises we've done in the last 2 1/2 years. RC and X are definitely checking carry on bags themselves at embarkation.
I've also read reports that RCI security is also checking out those large pockets on cargo pants when they appear to be quite full.

[quote name='cruie4ever']One simple recommendation :Read your Cruise " Contract " .The key word is Contract ;which is a aggreement betwenn parites who buy & sell .

We Never try to break our cruise contract . Not worth the hassles one can get into[/quote]

I wonder if Celebrity thought about that when they 'dumped' all those passengers on the quay during the Century rudder episode....Maybe its a case of one rule for them and blow the rest.....:)

I have no bother with someone smuggling, its their choice and it wont mean any difference to my holiday. Each to themselves :):D Catheter bags, the new modern rum runner !!!:):)

[quote name='robtulipe']Actually for our last two cruise embarkations which were out of San Juan there were two security checks of carry on bags. One in the terminal building where you also had to go through a metal detector and just after you had your seapass picture taken and card scanned when boarding, there was another X-ray check onboard of your carry on bag. It's been the same, ship security onboard check of carry on bags at embarkation for the seven RCI cruises we've done in the last 2 1/2 years. RC and X are definitely checking carry on bags themselves at embarkation.
I've also read reports that RCI security is also checking out those large pockets on cargo pants when they appear to be quite full.[/quote]

Maybe it's a RC policy, but not on Celebrity. My last RC cruise was in Oct 2007 out of San Juan, and I carried on 7-8 bottles of wine in my carryon without a problem, and they did not check when we boarded the ship. Maybe since then RC has become more strict.

Last September we took a Wine Cruise on Millennium out of Vancouver. An RC ship that was heading to Hawaii was boarding at the same time, going thru the same security. When I put my backpack (had 2 bottles of wine) thru the x-ray machine, the security officer asked whose backpack, and what ship. I replied, mine, and Millennium. He said OK. Then came my roller carry on thru the x-ray machine right behind my backpack, and again, he asked who roller carry on, and what ship. I replied, mine, and Millennium. He said OK. The roller had 4 bottlles of wine in it.

That lead me to believe they are more strict on RC in enforcement than they are on Celebrity. That was the first time in all the times that I have been cruising Celebrity that I was even asked or questioned.

For our Summit cruise last month we had two 750ML bottles of wine in our carry on bag when embarking. At the onboard X-ray check of our carry on bags just after the seapass photo session, the security officer advised me that there were two bottles in one of our bags to which I replied, they were bottles of wine. His reply was that I would have to check them in and they would be returned at the end of the cruise. My response, of course, was embarking X passengers are allowed to bring on two bottles of wine per cabin. His reply was I would have to speak to his supervisor about that and to which I replied, fine, it will give me the opportunity to ask why his security staff is so poorly trained that they don't know about X's policy of allowing embarking passenger to bring wine. You can continue on board immediately Sir, was the response and we went inside to get our glasses of champagne.
So we had completely different experiences at embarkation.
I also want to correct my previous post in that it was seven RCCL cruises, three X and four RC ones, that we've done in the last 2 1/2 years which IMO had increased onboard security checks of carry on bags at embarkation.

[quote name='iurebekah3rt']I'm cruising Century on Jan 17th. I do not mind paying for alcohol prices on the cruise ship, but I dont drink regular beer. I'm a cider kind of girl (woodchuck, strongbow, etc). Celebritys website does not show that they carry any of these drinks on board.
Does anyone know how to smuggle beer on board?
I'm not trying to cheat the system, but Id love one of my favorite beers while laying out :)[/QUOTE]

If you succeed on bringing these things on board, it's considered very bad taste to drink those beverages in public venues, even at the pool. If you bring your own beverages, they should be consumed in your cabin or on your balcony. If the cruise line sees too many people drinking their own stuff in the public venues, you can bet they will become even more strict on smuggling.

[quote name='iurebekah3rt']I'm cruising Century on Jan 17th. I do not mind paying for alcohol prices on the cruise ship, but I dont drink regular beer. I'm a cider kind of girl (woodchuck, strongbow, etc). Celebritys website does not show that they carry any of these drinks on board.
Does anyone know how to smuggle beer on board?
I'm not trying to cheat the system, but Id love one of my favorite beers while laying out :)[/QUOTE]

Last time we sailed, my BIL was in a similiar predicament. The ship did not have his favourite beer. Several times while in port during the 10-day itinerary, he brought back on a six-pack with no problems whatsoever. He made no effort to conceal it, it is what it is. No one took it away or held it until the end of the cruise or threatened to kick him off the boat. He did not bring anything on when we initially boarded so I'm not sure if the embarkment/disembarkment ports would be stricter.

[quote name='robtulipe']Actually for our last two cruise embarkations which were out of San Juan there were two security checks of carry on bags. One in the terminal building where you also had to go through a metal detector and just after you had your seapass picture taken and card scanned when boarding, there was another X-ray check onboard of your carry on bag. It's been the same, ship security onboard check of carry on bags at embarkation for the seven RCI cruises we've done in the last 2 1/2 years. RC and X are definitely checking carry on bags themselves at embarkation.
I've also read reports that RCI security is also checking out those large pockets on cargo pants when they appear to be quite full.[/QUOTE]

Actually it must vary as on our Millennium cruise out of SJ this past Nov there was no X- Ray screening after having our picture taken. After that we just walked on and had a champagne. We did go through the port authority x ray when we first went in the building. We did go rather early.

My cargo pockets were also full to bulging with odds and ends stuff and no one asked me anything about them.

Apparently it's not always the same.

On a later embarkation from a Port stop I did see someone that the security screener told to check in their bottle over at the table set up for that and they just walked right on by. It's kind of lax. Not promoting smuggling, just reporting what I saw and experienced.

:confused: I think the reason for this ongoing controversy is the difference between 'immoral' or 'wrong' and illegal (or, in the case of a ship's rules, contrary to the contract).

Historically, when a government (or corporation) tried to make a law or rule that was not supported by the populace affected by it, they had a very hard time enforcing it and eventually had to change it. Some examples are prohibition (of alcohol) in the US, the former 55 mph speed limit, etc. I would class the rule against bringing your own alcohol in this category. It's 'illegal', but most people don't consider it wrong.

So it will continue to be one little customer relations annoyance 'til finally they decide to change it.

I'm looking at switching to a cruise line that does include the drinks in the fare just so I don't have to deal with this annoyance -- but I am such a light drinker that I hate to have to do that.

While in Sorrento in September, we purchased two bottles ol lemoncello. When re-boarding the Equinox, I placed my bag on the security belt. The security person signaled another to take my bag after it had gone through xray. He did and motioned us over to a table. He took the two boxed bottles out of the bag, examined them, then put them back in the bag, handed it to me and told me it was fine!! I was shocked!! If I had known that was going to happen, I would have bought more to drink on the ship. I never had plans to use the ones I purchased.

[quote name='kitty9']If you succeed on bringing these things on board, it's considered very bad taste to drink those beverages in public venues, even at the pool. If you bring your own beverages, they should be consumed in your cabin or on your balcony. If the cruise line sees too many people drinking their own stuff in the public venues, you can bet they will become even more strict on smuggling.[/QUOTE]

How on earth would anyone know if you were drinking the ship's drinks or your own unless you told them? Once poured into a glass, it all looks the same, and even if you leave it in the bottle, it's unlikely that most passengers are going to have the ship's drink list memorized and know that your bottle isn't on it.

[quote name='Alsmez']How on earth would anyone know if you were drinking the ship's drinks or your own unless you told them? Once poured into a glass, it all looks the same, and even if you leave it in the bottle, it's unlikely that most passengers are going to have the ship's drink list memorized and know that your bottle isn't on it.[/QUOTE]

Because if you're drinking a bottle of beer that's not available on the ship, they will know. And if you throw that bottle away, when they're going through and separating the trash, they will know that someone is bringing on things that they're not supposed to. When I posted that, it wasn't meant for other passengers to "narc" on each other, but for the ship's staff to see in public venues.

Archived