Restaurants and shopping in Talkeetna???

dinomac

Just wondering about good places to eat for breakfast or lunch in Talkeetna, before and after flightseeing tour? Is there much to choose from? Shopping? Easy to walk between K2, the town, and the train station????

I did find the website after I posted... just wondering if anyone had suggestions or preferences for eating and looking at a map, you really can't judge how far things are... looking for suggestions from real people. THANKS!

We really enjoyed the Wildflower Cafe for dinner.

Others have highly recommended the Roadhouse, esp. for breakfast.

http://www.talkeetnaroadhouse.com/

We loved the town. Besides walking around and visiting the park by the river, we also found the cemetery to be fascinating. A stop at the ranger station is also worthwhile. They show an intersting video about climbing Mt. McKinley.

Sorry I can't help you with walking distances; we had a rental car.

I am always at the Roadhouse, at some point, excellent meals, with only soup and bread at supper. However, this place is absolutely OVER run with cruise visitors, LONG waits. It is also shared tables.

If you want more privacy and no crowds, then I always also eat at the Latitude.

IF you have no mobility limitations all these places are walkable, BUT, they aren't right "next door" either. 10-20+++ minutes possible, depending.

Sorry- your idea of "shopping" probably isn't going to make it here. There are a few, seasonal shops that do get set up, along with the regular "food mart, convenience" etc.

There are a couple informative museums to also consider.

Not big into shopping, but just wondering about it in case we have some time to kill.

Budget Queen, would you eat breakfast at McKinley Princess Lodge or shuttle down to Talkeetna for breakfast before flightseeing????

The people at K2 said it was only .2 miles between the airport and train station. So that would be only about 2 minutes. We are big walkers, so it should be no problem.

dinomac:

Talkeetna is quite small, so nearly everything is in walking distance (airport, train station, eateries, shopping.)

As mentioned, the Roadhouse is known for it's amazing and huge breakfasts (was featured on Man vs Food television show) but it is quite crowded in the summer. For lunch, the Wildflower is excellent as is Twister Creek. Both offer wonderful outdoor dining, weather permitting.

PS-Try the Halibut Chunks and Sweet Potato fries at Twister Creek!

dinomac:

Talkeetna is quite small, so nearly everything is in walking distance (airport, train station, eateries, shopping.)

As mentioned, the Roadhouse is known for it's amazing and huge breakfasts (was featured on Man vs Food television show) but it is quite crowded in the summer. For lunch, the Wildflower is excellent as is Twister Creek. Both offer wonderful outdoor dining, weather permitting.

PS-Try the Halibut Chunks and Sweet Potato fries at Twister Creek!

The Halibut Chunks and Sweet Potato Fries sound fabulous!

...would you eat breakfast at McKinley Princess Lodge or shuttle down to Talkeetna for breakfast before flightseeing?

Breakfast in Talkeetna is half the price and at least as good at either of the restaurants I've eaten at.

Edit - just found a comment I wrote after my last breakfast at the Princess McKinley: "The breakfast buffet in the Cub Café this morning was quite poor in terms of both selection and quality, and grossly expensive at $21.75."

Another vote for the Talkeetna Roadhouse. Right in the middle of Talkeetna, and easy to get to.

Cheap, delicious food (basic). I had the reindeer chili and a side salad, both fantastic, and my husband had sourdough pancakes with a homemade berry compote. Both of us ate, and had a beer, with tip for about $25.

Archived