BBW First Cruise

seadrifters

I'm going on Oasis again in 2 weeks, and have been kind of freaking out again. So, I re-read this original thread of mine from last year and I'm already feeling better! Everyone who replied before is just so sweet, I was hoping to see how everyone has been and if anyone has been cruising lately.

This time is a bit different though, as we will be cruising with my in-laws this time. But we are going on Oasis again, this time to Eastern Caribbean.

Anyone out there? Newbies welcome to chime in/ask questions too!

Looking forward to replies!

You're going to have great time ! I was on the Allure November 2011 and it was truly a wonderfull time.

As we all told you in past posts don't stress out about the flight.

On my flight last November I had the nicest people sitting next to me. They were of average size and actually asked if I wouldn't mind if they pushed back all the arm rests as they prefer no arm rests. They said they hoped that I wasn't offended by their request as they truly don't like the arm rests . I actually beleived that this was the way they preferred to fly because they laughed and joked with me during the entire flight. They even asked what my return flight was as they stated we could than all arrange to be seated together again. Wish I could sit next to them on every flight !!

Enjoy ! I will on the Enchantment of the Seas next month.

Don't you just love people like that? How lucky and blessed you were to have them next to you! I hope to have the same luck. This time I have an aisle seat which is new to me. I hope it's more comfortable.

You're going to love having the aisle seat !

FYI - depending on the airplane and the side of the aisle your on, the arm rest on the aisle might even be able to be raise back or down. The airlines have to have some aisle arms that rthat do this so that those that whoineed to be assist onto the plane with the aisle wheelchair can transfer. Check with the flight attendent. It will make it even more enjoyable for you and also easier to get in/out of the seat.

So, you are on Enchantment next month? You must be getting so excited! Will you be posting comments and pictures when you get back? Please do! Would love to see them and hear about all the ship has to offer!

Have a wonderful time!

Karen

Hello! I'm a BBW going on my first cruise next March! Already looking for info and I'm glad to have found this thread. DH is also going, he's a big guy as well, and our son will be with us, he will be 10 next year.

I fly a couple times a year, and have my own seatbelt extender (actually I have a couple...thought I lost the first then later found it!). I also always book aisle seats, I find them much more comfy, as the armrests many times on the aisle do lift up. Even if not I feel better on the aisle if I have to get up, I'm not trapped next to strangers. My son and I are actually flying on Monday, I'm making him sit in the middle on two of our flight while I get the aisle.

As for cruising, I see upthread that one of the dophin excursions had a weight limit. Do you know which one? I haven't researched the options much yet, but in looking at Dolphin Discovery's website for Cozumel at Chankanaab. I don't see any weight limits listed. Even if they don't have a weight limit it does say you need to wear a life jacket. I wonder if they have ones that will fit me (~4X women's) or DH (4X-5X men's)? If anyone has more info that would be great, otherwise I have plenty of time to contact them and ask directly.

So, you are on Enchantment next month? You must be getting so excited! Will you be posting comments and pictures when you get back? Please do! Would love to see them and hear about all the ship has to offer!

Have a wonderful time!

Karen

Yes am every excited as it will be my first time on the Enchantment. Unfortunatley I'm the only person on earth who does not own a camera nor wishes to own a camera. So there will be no posting of pictures.

Have a good week !

I am going to bookmark this thread and read it to my mom when she gets here on Tuesday. We sail out on the Oasis on Saturday (I live in Fort Lauderdale). Anyway, everything you'all have said about how you feel she has said at some point. Sure my mommie is heavy...and so am I. But she is the best mom in the world with a sweet soul. I wish she didn't worry so much about how she looked.

I've been on quite a few cruises and the thing I've learned is that no one is thinking about me as much as I think they are :-) As a matter of fact if I maintain a joyful attitude people tend to like who I am over how I look. (I also don't wear a bikini at the pool, haha). My mom is in a scooter because he has mobility issues, she also has stage 4 bone cancer. She's so worried people will judge her for being "fat". This is what I told her:

Those people who matter --won't care

Those people who care ---don't matter

WL56,

So glad you responded! It's nice to connect with kindred spirits! I'm so sorry to hear about your mom's cancer. Please tell your mom not to be self conscious. As I'm sure you know, once you get on the ship there is so much going on and so much to see and do, she'll forget her fears (or at least put them aside). She is lucky to have you there to encourage her!

Have a wonderful time, and please let us know how it goes!

Karen

My mom is in a scooter because he has mobility issues, she also has stage 4 bone cancer. She's so worried people will judge her for being "fat". This is what I told her:

Those people who matter --won't care

Those people who care ---don't matter

Your advice to your mother is so true !

She is so lucky to have such a supporting person in her life. Tell her not not to worry about what others think . Rather just focus on having fun and enjoying herself !!!!

I am so loving everyone who has posted on this thread! Why can't you all be on my cruise with me? :)

I found out yesterday that I can't even swim with the dolphins because there is a weight limit. That's the one thing I was thinking about doing, since I obviously won't be doing any ziplines. I don't have any snorkel gear, and can't afford any dive clothing. I'll mention snorkeling to my husband and see if it's something he wants to do. Thanks for the tip on the extra sunscreen, I would never have thought of doing the backs of my legs!

As far as the flying goes, it's the fact that I'll be sitting next to a stranger that really has me worried. I pray that it is either a small child or an empty seat.

Thank you to everyone for your positivity and encouragement! It's really helping a lot!

You may not be able to "swim" with the dolphins - but can't you have an dolphin encounter - where you are in the water with them and can touch them?

As far as airline travel goes - please don't buy an seltbelt extension - all airlines have them all you have to do is ask for one. Further more I think you will have no problem fitting in the seat - I am 300lb and fit just fine - maybe just a little snug - just rise the arm rest between chairs for some extra space.

Please just have fun - people with talk that just what people do - don't let it affect your cruise in any way I know I won't let it affect mine.

• 5 months later...
Karen I love love love your review!! And not wearing make-up is wonderful isn't it? Not worrying about anything or how you look makes for a great time and I bet you made new friends onboard. I'm so happy that you had a wonderful trip! Gonna go again? Like you, I wish there were a BBW cruise, that would rock my world!!

Peaches

They have em!!! take a look in a search engine. They don't usually charter the whole ship, but still makes for a comfy environment. :)

• 2 months later...

Hi Everyone-

I have only been on 2 cruises back when I was 35 and 40-haven't been on one since 1999. I am a "fluffy"-5'4, 270ish and am in a wheelchair. I have been dying to do a Disney cruise, as I am a Disneyaholic. I never seem to see posts about Disney cruises among us Fluffier passengers. Does anyone know how accessible they are for those of us bigger passengers and/or those of us in a wheelchair? I am trying to figure a way to go on the Disney Fantasy or Disney Dream. Thanks so much!

Jill

Hi Everyone-

I have only been on 2 cruises back when I was 35 and 40-haven't been on one since 1999. I am a "fluffy"-5'4, 270ish and am in a wheelchair. I have been dying to do a Disney cruise, as I am a Disneyaholic. I never seem to see posts about Disney cruises among us Fluffier passengers. Does anyone know how accessible they are for those of us bigger passengers and/or those of us in a wheelchair? I am trying to figure a way to go on the Disney Fantasy or Disney Dream. Thanks so much!

Jill

I see from the number of posts that you've made to date that you're fairly new to CC so WELCOME !

Disney Cruises are very accessible so you should have no problem. Here's some links to Disney's website that specifically addresses "Guests with Disabilities". http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/media/dcl_v0400/Site/DCLContent/Media/Assets/ShipsActivities/Ships/Services/_Service_/guests-with-disabilities/DCLDisabilitiesInfoMagicWonder.pdf

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/services/guests-with-disabilities/

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/media/dcl_v0400/Site/DCLContent/Media/Assets/ShipsActivities/Ships/Services/_Service_/guests-with-disabilities/DCLDisabilitiesInfoDream.pdf

The only issue of concern is that HC cabins book well in advance of a year or longer as there a so few in relation to the number of standard cabins on a ship. So it's going to be hard to get an HC cabin if you're attempting to do a last minute booking.

I see from the number of posts that you've made to date that you're fairly new to CC so WELCOME !

Disney Cruises are very accessible so you should have no problem. Here's some links to Disney's website that specifically addresses "Guests with Disabilities". http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/media/dcl_v0400/Site/DCLContent/Media/Assets/ShipsActivities/Ships/Services/_Service_/guests-with-disabilities/DCLDisabilitiesInfoMagicWonder.pdf

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/services/guests-with-disabilities/

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/media/dcl_v0400/Site/DCLContent/Media/Assets/ShipsActivities/Ships/Services/_Service_/guests-with-disabilities/DCLDisabilitiesInfoDream.pdf

The only issue of concern is that HC cabins book well in advance of a year or longer as there a so few in relation to the number of standard cabins on a ship. So it's going to be hard to get an HC cabin if you're attempting to do a last minute booking.

Thank you-I will look into those links. I just wonder if there are any/many folks on this thread (or other BBW threads) that have gone on Disney Cruises and if they had any issues.

I am not a BBW but I am in a wheelchair and hace cruised Disney 5 times.

Disney cruises are very accessible! Try and get the corner accessible aft balcony, it is one of the best accessible cabins I've ever had! It is on the Dream. Try and get the accessible cabana on Castaway Cay, a splurge but special!

Sherry

I am not a BBW but I am in a wheelchair and hace cruised Disney 5 times.

Disney cruises are very accessible! Try and get the corner accessible aft balcony, it is one of the best accessible cabins I've ever had! It is on the Dream. Try and get the accessible cabana on Castaway Cay, a splurge but special!

Sherry

Thank you Sherry. I so want to go on a Disney Cruise. I would LOVE to experience an accessible cabana on Castaway Cay! How was that?

• 2 weeks later...

Archived