My April plans please help

vavasmom

I have been trying to do some planning and would appreciate any comments, ideas, or suggestions. We area party of 2 - myself (mid-40’s female) and my 15 YO daughter. My daughter had ACL reconstruction knee surgery in November but should be almost complete with all Physical Therapy by mid-April. Her surgeon said he would expect no restrictions for the trip. We both enjoy history and have done some traveling (cruises and land based).

We are on the Carnival Pride April 17th from Baltimore. We are docked at the Dockyards from 1pm April 19 until 5pm April 21. Based upon my research, we are hoping to see Ft. St Catherine's in St. George - along with part of the old city, see some of the highlights of Hamilton, see Horseshoe Bay, possibly do a glass bottom boat (I just contacted Aquatic Bermuda to see what their schedules will be), and collect some sea glass. It seems many attractions close between 4 and 5 pm so I don't believe I can make this all work.

I am planning on purchasing the three day transportation pass and with possibly the exception of the last day, doing it “on my own”. I was thinking about possibly a Carnival excursion for the last day but our sailing does not seem to have any excursions listed.

I am also trying to figure out timing logistics. We don't arrive until 1pm on Tuesday. Have been trying to determine if that is local or ships time (off by 1 hour). I found the draft official port schedule for 2011 (not one taken by pulling together cruise line timetables) http://www.bermuda-online.org/cruises.htm it shows us in Heritage Wharf (not Kings Wharf) at the Dockyards. The final “official” plan is not posted until approx. 1 Feb. This shows 1 and 5 as local time not ships time. I have been working off of the summer 2010 (and 2009) bus/ferry schedules.

My current thoughts:

We arrive at 1pm local time. It will be 2 – 2:30 before we are cleared, off the ship, and purchased a transit pass.

Take the Ferry to Hamilton the first day and do a walking tour (I have one from Formmers but it could probably be improved – I welcome suggestions). I am allowing 3 - 3.5 hours for the tour. Take the Ferry back to Dockyard. Possibly See the Glass works and Run Cake Factory which are both open until 9 or 10pm. Sunset that day is 19:51 pm.

If we finish in Hamilton before 5:30 we could take the #7 bus and get off at Horseshoe Bay (not likely)

Day 2 April 20th

If I can get a 10am glass bottom boat tour do it (take the ferry or an early bus). After the tour then take the Bus to St. George’s to tour Ft. St. Catherine and do a walking tour of the city (once again I have Formmers). This will be a full day. Last Ferry back is at 6:05 pm from last years schedule or 4pm from the 2009 schedule. We need to be on this because it takes 45 min by Ferry or 2 hrs by bus to get back.

If there is not an early tour – take the first ferry to St. George. Tour St. George and then take 3 (or 4pm) Ferry back. If we feel like it use the Bus to Horseshoe Bay and/or the Sea Glass beach near the cemetery or just relax on the ship that evening.

Sunset is at 19:52

Day 3 – Depart 5pm; expecting all aboard at 4 or 4:30

Take the #7 bus to Horseshoe Bay first thing in the am (unless we already managed to do this). Work our way back to the Dockyards. Collect some Sea Glass from the beach near the cemetery (same bus line). Try to see the glass works and rum cake factory if time permits (and not already done). IF this does not work out see the Maritime Museum.

One possibility is for me to do the rum cake factory after dinner one of the nights while DD does some teen activities one night on the ship. I could also preview the glass works to see if it is worth a trip (also have clay works and craft market)

Thanks for any inputs

Barbara

We both enjoy history and have done some traveling (cruises and land based).

If you enjoy history then be sure to tour the Maritime Museum (free) and the Bermuda Underwater Exploration Institute (nominal entrance fee). Allow 2 to 3 hours for the museum, 90 minutes for BUEI.

The walk up to the bus stop from Horseshoe bay is very steep. During the day there is a van that will take you to the top. Used to be $1pp but heard it's now $2. He may not be there late in the afternoon. A walk like that may not be the best for your daughter. Don't miss it though. It is a beautiful beach. Not sure how cold the water is in April, but your daughter may like to snorkel at snorkel Park or tobaco bay. St George is quite nice but it has hills as well. From our trips to Bermuda, the one thing I can tell you, is that it will take longer to get from place to place than you think. Generally I hate buses, but the ones in Bermuda a very nice and you see the sights. We have met many locals that were quite charming. The school children ride the same buses, so they will be quite crowded during their comute times. They are very well behaved. The ferries are great to get around. Bring a light sweater or jacket and sit up top for great views. You also will be there during the humpback whale migration. You might consider a whalewatching excursion. Have a great trip! We are right behind you in may!:D

Hi Vavasmom,

I too will be looking for Seaglass Beach near the Cemetary. On a map it looks like the beach is across the road and down a dirt road or path after one would get off the bus going toward Hamilton from the pier. However where I think the bus leaves a person off there is a possibility that the beach is in the other direction. If you know which way to go from off of the Hamilton bound bus I would appreciate it if you would post here. I've read directions to get there but they were a little sketchy as to which way to go from off of the bus.

Thanks,

Gene

Here are the directions to get to sea glass beach near the Dockyard, originally posted by CC member White Rabbit on 10/23/09:

There is a nice sea glass beach near the dockyards. It is about one quarter mile outside of the main gate, so if you are on the bus to Hamilton, you will want to get off soon after leaving the dockyards. Politely ask the bus driver to stop at the Military Cemetery. You will see a church, and directly across the road some apartments. Walk between the apartments to a path in back and then walk to your right about 100 feet or so. You will see a patio with embedded sea glass and a set of steps leading down to a small beach. It appears to be a private patio and beach, however I have been there and it seems everyone uses this entrance. You will find plenty of sea glass, mostly green, brown and white. When you collect all you can carry, ascend the steps carefully, and wait at the blue pole (bus stop) for a return bus to the Dockyard. Buses run about every 20 minutes. Stand close to the pole, but off of the road way and when you see a bus, hold up your hand, as buses often miss seeing people waiting at this stop as they round a curve. Good Luck and Happy sea glass hunting. Hopefully you purchased a bus pass, otherwise you will need exact bus coins.

The distance from the Dockyard is just about 1 mile which you could walk but I would suggest that you take the bus instead. There are no sidewalks or breakdown lanes to walk on, and the roads are very narrow. Take the bus, you can carry more sea glass that way.

SBtS

i have pictures of the church, cemetery, and the beach and the sea glass posted on my facebook account i can not upload them here i dont know why. if you would like to see them let me know also we asked the bus driver to drop us off there and he told us it was called black beach

just sent them to you

the blue church will be on your left when coming from the dockyard and the cemetery will be just after it on the left get off the bus there and walk behind the condos there is a dirt lane then you will see steps on the left going down to the beach and then well as you can see in my pics TONS of beach glass take a bag!!! then if you look there is a bus stop in front of i think it was appt #13

Jan

i just looked back thru pics and the bus stop is infront of house # 13 there is a blue pole that is the bus stop the bus comes only every 30-40 min so time your trip to the beach glass beach at black bay beach!!

looking to book another trip in october will stop back then!!

Jan

The only directions I had were the ones SinBad posted. I saved them from the same thread he referened. I would love to have the pictures for reference. My e-mail is my screen name (vavasmom) @gmail.com

I was wondering for Bermuda veterans - how long to plan to see the fort and walking tours of the two cities.

• 3 weeks later...

I now have a satellite photo to go along with the description I've been posting:

SeaGlass.jpg

Here are the directions to get to sea glass beach near the Dockyard, originally posted by CC member White Rabbit on 10/23/09:

There is a nice sea glass beach near the dockyards. It is about one quarter mile outside of the main gate, so if you are on the bus to Hamilton, you will want to get off soon after leaving the dockyards. Politely ask the bus driver to stop at the Military Cemetery. You will see a church, and directly across the road some apartments. Walk between the apartments to a path in back and then walk to your right about 100 feet or so. You will see a patio with embedded sea glass and a set of steps leading down to a small beach. It appears to be a private patio and beach, however I have been there and it seems everyone uses this entrance. You will find plenty of sea glass, mostly green, brown and white. When you collect all you can carry, ascend the steps carefully, and wait at the blue pole (bus stop) for a return bus to the Dockyard. Buses run about every 20 minutes. Stand close to the pole, but off of the road way and when you see a bus, hold up your hand, as buses often miss seeing people waiting at this stop as they round a curve. Good Luck and Happy sea glass hunting. Hopefully you purchased a bus pass, otherwise you will need exact bus coins.

SBtS

• 2 weeks later...

Archived