Celebrity Solstice Cruise tour

nana629

• 2 weeks later...

You should check into the Roll Call for your sailing.

When we were in Naples on the Celebrity Galaxy we hooked up with some shipmates who had arranged a private van and guide for 8 of us. It was much more pleasant than being on a bus with 40 people.

Has anyone gone on the Amalfi Drive & Pompeii tour (tour # NP04)? It is 9.5 hours, includes lunch and is only $157 each. I've looked into private tours, but all seem much more expensive. Help!

As noted by Dr. Tom, there are "trade-offs" on ship tours. They might be cheaper, but a long, long day on a bus with 25-45 other people, getting on and off, taking various stops, slowing to most plodding person, etc., can be a little marginal. Much depends on your budget and travel style.

A personal guide is best and ideal, especially if you can have pre-tour communications and establish that "connection" for what you need and seek to fit your travel style and personal interests. We love having a "CONVERSATION" with our guide. I like to ask lots of questions. Take many pictures. Those factors make all of the positive difference to enjoy and experience things in the best manner. I like to learn the history, how real life works there, the current events, etc. A personal, custom guide/tour is much better than being "forced marched" through a great place in a large group with a guide barking out details to us as we walk quickly by these great treasures. Also, in a large group, it can be hard to hear and understand everything that is being shared, asked. But, personal tours/guides are not always possible, affordable, needed, etc., for all port stops.

Check your Solstice cruise roll call AND tell us more on your party, budget, ages, personal and travel interests, past Europe travel experience, etc. How much are you interested in history? Countryside vs. cities? Museums, food, wine, art, music, shopping, architecture, etc.? Then, with more detailed information from you, we can make better, more specific suggestions on what best fits your needs and interests.

There is much, much in the great area and you cannot do it "ALL" in just one day. Have to make choices and set priorities!!

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

For lots of interesting details, great visuals, etc., from our July 1-16 Norway Coast/Fjords/Arctic Circle cruise experience from Copenhagen on the Silver Cloud, check out this posting. Don’t be shy and feel free to ask any questions of interest. This posting is now over 29,860 views. Appreciate those who have “tuned in”.

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1227923

Here are some samples of what we saw in Pompeii with our guide. There are a wide variety of buildings, interiors, art and architectural objects, etc. Very interesting and super historic!!!:

PompeiiOne.jpg

PompeiiTwo.jpg

PompeiiThree.jpg

Positano is uniquely built along the slopping mountain side. Here's an artist's view as he paints this scenic site.

It-Positano.jpg

Has anyone gone on the Amalfi Drive & Pompeii tour (tour # NP04)? It is 9.5 hours, includes lunch and is only $157 each. I've looked into private tours, but all seem much more expensive. Help!

We took the Pompeii and Taste of Sorrento tour the Solstice offered (cannot remember the number) and had a great time. We enjoyed the company of other travellers, enjoyed the stops and, enjoyed the room we had on the bus to relax.

We have also done private tours and had a good time too. I must agree with you that private tours are not always a bargain and, not always better. Sitting in a back seat for a two or so hour drive is not all it's cracked up to be.

I am not a sales agent for a ships tours but I just have to add that they are not the incarnation of a trip with the devil either, as they are so often made out to be. ;)

Archived