VISA vs American Express

Busky

Everyone seems to recommend only taking one credit card. My card of preference is American Express because it give me miles, but not all businesses take American Express. Advice? Another question - I am going on a singles cruise and will be assigned a room mate. I assume there is only one safe in the room for valuables. Is this a problem?

Some places don't take AMEX because of the fees they charge. BUT I'd definitely recommend bringing your AMEX. A few years ago I went on a study abroad over memorial day weekend and I hadn't told my bank that I was leaving the country so they stopped my Visa, this was on the Friday of that weekend and I wouldn't be able to get my money until TUESDAY because of Memorial Day! I was in Italy FREAKING out and then my dad called AMEX and had them give me an emergency cash advanced and made a PIN number for me to take my money out of an ATM. It really saved me! Bring both cards and keep them in separate places just in case you lose one :-)

Everyone seems to recommend only taking one credit card. My card of preference is American Express because it give me miles, but not all businesses take American Express. Advice? Another question - I am going on a singles cruise and will be assigned a room mate. I assume there is only one safe in the room for valuables. Is this a problem?

I use my CapitalOne Visa card because it is one of the few cards that doesn't charge for foreign transactions. And American Express isn't always accepted in some smaller countries. So it's the only card I use. But I do take a second card as back-up, just in case there is some issue with the CapitalOne card, or I lose it or it is stolen.

As for the roommate situation -- yes, there is only one safe in the room. But usually you can take valuable to the purser's desk and there are safe deposit boxes that can be rented. I don't know the cost.

I use my CapitalOne Visa card because it is one of the few cards that doesn't charge for foreign transactions. And American Express isn't always accepted in some smaller countries. So it's the only card I use. But I do take a second card as back-up, just in case there is some issue with the CapitalOne card, or I lose it or it is stolen.

I agree; AMEX is not accepted many places and if that's all you have, you may be stuck. You can get a VISA card that earns airline miles. We also have at least two different debit cards; for some reason sometimes in certain countries, even though the ATM machine shows the correct symbol, one card won't work, and we have to use the other.

We only take 1 credit card ASHORE....we leave the card linked to our shipboard account on the ship!

I can't imagine why anyone would recommend only bringing 1 card on your cruise!

It doesn't make sense to me either but in reading through the ''first time cruisers" thread there seemed to be quite a few that said you only need one credit card. I agree now - I'll bring my AMEX and a backup VISA.

It doesn't make sense to me either but in reading through the ''first time cruisers" thread there seemed to be quite a few that said you only need one credit card. I agree now - I'll bring my AMEX and a backup VISA.

Phew! I would NEVER travel with only one credit card. Amex is great because you can actually call them up and they will help you out. If you recall "membership has its privileges". As others have posted you never know which card will work well.

Archived