How do you not come home worn out?

dinomac

Just wondering how do you balance excursions on a cruise tour and enjoying the ship and getting some relaxation in and not go home exhausted after 11 day trip? There are so many excursions possible at each Lodge and each port... how do you decide what not to miss and what to skip? Let me know your ideas and tips on getting the most out of our upcoming June cruise tour. THANK YOU!

Wow, I can't honestly answer that other than we were WORN OUT. We took the cruise first and then the land tour and we were whipped. We were both 50 years old, it was our first cruise and there were plenty of seniors that were out-doing us!

We did pace ourselves, didn't do excursions in all ports, but did walk a LOT! Our cabin was the furthest aft on our level so we walked about .25 miles to the front of the ship and didn't take the elevators.

I think one reason we were pretty tired was that we spent most waking moments on our balcony and had lots of fresh air. We booked the same room on our May cruise to Alaska but we plan to pace ourselves even more.

Not that this helps you at all, but that was our experience.

We're in our early 50's and love to walk and hike and never take the elevators when we're on board. Just thinking if we take excursions or multiple excursions every port (so many great excursions and things to see), we will regret overdoing it and need a vacation from our vacation when we get home.

We're in our early 50's and love to walk and hike and never take the elevators when we're on board. Just thinking if we take excursions or multiple excursions every port (so many great excursions and things to see), we will regret overdoing it and need a vacation from our vacation when we get home.

We made the most of our trip. (two days pre-cruise, seven day cruise, and nine days on land) In our case we figured we might never get back, so wanted to hit all of our priorities. We cruised first and were quite exhausted from the cruise. Our land portion went a little better as we did this part independently and paced ourselves in a way that we were not totally worn out. We did not take part in ship activities. We were there in June when it was extended daylight hours. The scenery from our ship was our daily entertainment until it was time for bed.

Everyone has a different vacation style, based on their priorities, interests, and physical limitations, so you will probably get a lot of varied answers on this question.

My first tip in not tiring yourself out is to PLAN AHEAD. If you've done some reading/research, you'll know which excursions interest you so that you don't waste precious port hours on something that is less than thrilling. You won't have to spend time looking for activities or wandering aimlessly. Also, if you look at a map, you can find ways so you're not backtracking around town (for example, going to Mendenhall Glacier in Juneau directly with your whale watch tour instead of going all the way back to port just to turn around again). Not only will you save time, but you'll also save some of the stress of traveling. Sign up for brochures and tourist information online from the cities you'll be visiting to get maps and travel info.

Next, mix in some activities that aren't physically strenuous. Even though I am often awake from 6am-midnight, I'm not on my feet the entire time. For example, a great lunch at a local restaurant allows you to sample regional cuisine and interact with locals without being physically draining. A scenic train ride has the same effect - you are getting the chance to see something new without physically tiring yourself out. These all add to fantastic memories of my trip without making me feel like I'm going to collapse in bed at the end of the day.

Third, be prepared to spend some money. You can make your life easier if you don't economize on everything. For example, if you take a taxi rather than a local bus, you'll probably get there faster, so you have more time for either your activities or for downtime. Obviously there is a cost trade-off so you'll have to decide where your personal budget lies.

I choose to have long days on vacation, and know that I will usually come home from vacation tired (but not exhausted). Not everyone goes on vacation solely for the attractions/experiences the way I do; others like the time away from work/home and really enjoy that time by the pool or at the piano bar. I know I'm an "extreme" since I don't sleep in or hit the spa on vacation (I can do these things at home). Others are at the opposite end of the spectrum, spending all day everyday relaxing onboard instead of filling every waking moment with activities. Nothing wrong with different vacation styles :)

That being said, a cruise is a great balance because you'll have some built in time to decompress. Get a cocktail in the evening and take it out on deck to watch the scenery sail by while you're relaxing. Enjoy a two-hour dinner and be pampered. Use that sea day to sit in the hot tub and soothe your muscles. Let someone else do the cleaning ;) Overall, enjoy your vacation and travel the way that makes you happiest!

We found the best solution -- taking early retirement.

Yes, we still come home from trips worn out but it doesn't matter because we don't need to get up early to go back to work so we can just veg out and do things as we get around to them, very slowly, or not at all.

Once we recover and have our energy back, that means it is time to start getting ready for the next trip. :D

Guess I don't understand the whole "worn out" thing. Maybe some vitamins or something. I'm tired after a hards days work but after about 6 hours sleep I'm ready to go again. Maybe it's some kind of mental thingy.

We found the best solution -- taking early retirement.

Yes, we still come home from trips worn out but it doesn't matter because we don't need to get up early to go back to work so we can just veg out and do things as we get around to them, very slowly, or not at all.

Once we recover and have our energy back, that means it is time to start getting ready for the next trip. :D

Great way to do it! I had planned to retire at 50, but it didn't happen with the economy and all. Looking forward to those days, but enjoying today as well!

I am never worn out, and I pack my trips with loads of touring options. A key point to always consider is TIME, more of it is ALWAYS better. Cruisetours that are short are brutal, and for my touring priorities would be, a poor choice.

I am fortunate to have a lot of travel under my belt, last year was gone for 14 weeks, didn't return "worn out" from any of them. :)

This year, I'll be in Alaska for 4 weeks, as I said- TIME. :)

Just wondering how do you balance excursions on a cruise tour and enjoying the ship and getting some relaxation in and not go home exhausted after 11 day trip?

I think a key is to view it as an adventure, not a typical cruise.

We've cruised a lot to warm southern climes, and those are always so relaxing and restful. The ship is the destination.

But on an Alaska cruise, the ship is pretty much just a floating hotel that gets you from destination to destination, adventure to adventure.

Since we also do a lot of non-cruise trips, we will just view it in that genre and not expect the relaxation of a Caribbean cruise.

But at least we will unpack only once during the second week, which is more restful than last year's trek through Central Java with backpacks and catching random busses her and there.

I also like to leave the house clean and easy meals in the freezer for the first few days after the return home, so that we aren't pressured into routine tasks when we would rather spend the first few days sorting photos and finishing writing the trip report.

(Retirement sounds lovely, but we will be doing 12-day trips for the next few years if we are to have any hope of eventual retirement.)

I am never worn out, and I pack my trips with loads of touring options....This year, I'll be in Alaska for 4 weeks, as I said- TIME. :)

I agree. I am never "worn out" from my trips. I am active and do a lot, see a lot, but I pace myself. Shorter or longer trips are irrelevant. Same philosophy.

I pack as much into a day as possible, 2 excursions in each port, & as much as possible on the cruisetour. Never saw a show on the ship. The wildlife & scenery I can not find in the Atlanta area, so I'm not going to waste time inside or resting, until I'm on the flight home. There is so much to see & do, not available anywhere else, don't waste the opportunity unless you are fortunate to be able to visit often. Rest when you are dead.

I find the excursions relaxing. The Juneau tour and salmon bake..couldn't be more relaxing. Snorkeling at GSC...relaxing! The ONLY one I have taken that wasn't was the "snuba" :eek: I got underwater and panicked and gave the "thumb up" signal to be taken to the top. I never come home tired..too much relaxation :)

Just wondering how do you balance excursions on a cruise tour and enjoying the ship and getting some relaxation in and not go home exhausted after 11 day trip? There are so many excursions possible at each Lodge and each port... how do you decide what not to miss and what to skip? Let me know your ideas and tips on getting the most out of our upcoming June cruise tour. THANK YOU!

On port intensive cruises and cruises where there is a lot to see even late into the evening (like Alaska): I skipped some of the shipboard activites and entertainment. I could not pull myself away from looking at the beautiful scenery and looking for wildlife.

Laying on the headed lounger or bobbing in the bubbling pools in the thermal suite; sure helps to relax and reload, too.

i pack as much into a day as possible, 2 excursions in each port, & as much as possible on the cruisetour. Never saw a show on the ship. The wildlife & scenery i can not find in the atlanta area, so i'm not going to waste time inside or resting, until i'm on the flight home. There is so much to see & do, not available anywhere else, don't waste the opportunity unless you are fortunate to be able to visit often. Rest when you are dead.

amen!!!!

Archived