Cayo Levantado Plus

smg873

Cruising on the Pearl 2/20, first port of call is Samana. With two young kids (6 & 8), I'm thinking the Cayo Levantado Beach Escape is the thing to do. There are two excursions - the basic one, and the "plus" - from the description, it looks the difference is that the plus includes the pedal boats, kayaks, sun flpats & snorkel equipment, whereas with the basic you have to pay an additional amount for rental of those items. What I can't figure out is why there is an age restriction on the Plus excursion. Anyone have any idea why it's limited to those 12 and over?

I was looking at that too and wondering the same thing since I have little ones as well. Personally, I think it is silly that they have the age restriction in this but here is my best guess. I think that NCL feels that at least one of those activities included is not suitable for children under 12 (snorkling perhaps, or maybe kayaks). Not sure but that would be my best guess. I think it is stupid, I do not think there should be an age restrictions as long as parents are present and understand they are responsible for thier child's safety....but you know how things go, companies have to cover thier rearends all the time!

OP.. Im sorry I can't answer your specific question, but I can congratulate you on the choice of excursion. You will love Cayo Laventdo Beach. It is a beautiful stretch of white sandy beach with amazing views of Samana and the ship.

Terry- thanks for the the endorsement of Cayo Levantado... we are booked for this excursion in March on our Dawn trip. Did you try any snorkeling there? We are bringing our own gear- is it worth giving it a try?

Also, do you remember if the "basic" excursion come with beach chair or umbrella?

thanks!

im sorry, however since the last time we did the basic CL excursion it has changed a lot, as far as what is included. With ours, it even had lunch included, which I do not believe it does any longer. The last time we were in Samana was on the Dawn, and they offered a day pass at the hotel that is there on the CL island. We did that one and LOVED it, but sadly they do not offer that any longer. I'm sorry I am not much of a help when it comes to the specifics, but I will tell you everytime we have been on CL we have loved it. As far as snorkeling, I only do that if Doug twists my arm.. LOL. I'm so terrified of getting bit by something I only do it if I know he really wants to and won't do it without me. LOL

Terry- thanks for the the endorsement of Cayo Levantado... we are booked for this excursion in March on our Dawn trip. Did you try any snorkeling there? We are bringing our own gear- is it worth giving it a try?

Also, do you remember if the "basic" excursion come with beach chair or umbrella?

thanks!

The basic Cayo Levantado excursion includes a chair, but they do not have umbrellas available.

Cayo was our favorite stop (Spirit 2008). Beautiful beach. We didn't snorkel but from what I remember people did. Very clear water. Steep drop off from beach though (a suprise the first time). We had to tip for a chair. Good coffee to buy too. Probably the best stop of the cruise.

My $0.02 review.

The snorkel area is to the far right of the beach, and in my humble opinion, not anywhere up to other stops. Was there this past October, and there was a lot of submerged trash in that area. For a beach break, it is a great place, and the lobster lunch is worth buying.

Al

We went to Cayo Levatado last March on the dawn. It is a great beach. The tenders take you from the ship to the private island. As a previous poster mentioned there aren't umbrellas, but there are many palm trees that offer shade. The water is crystal clear and very warm. There are large sea shells and starfish in the water. There are huts set up that sell drinks. The beers are the size of wine bottles. They also have drinks served in pineapples and coconuts. Have a great time.

Archived