Which suitcases are best for cruising?

Jo and Rob

We need to get some more luggage. Rob likes hard, enormous cases and is looking for four wheels. I on the other hand like the idea of cases that fit into each other so it is easier to fit them under the bed. Rob is concerned that fabric cases will easily tear and get damaged at airports, but I'm concerned that we won't be able to fit new big hard cases under the bed.

Our current hard cases fitted under the Princess and Costa beds but it was really tight trying to get them under the bed on the Allure of the Seas and even then we could only get one under as there was a spare quilt under there to the other one had to stand in the corner.

Advice please, with your experiences and preferences plus any recommendations.

many thanks

We need to get some more luggage. Rob likes hard, enormous cases and is looking for four wheels. I on the other hand like the idea of cases that fit into each other so it is easier to fit them under the bed. Rob is concerned that fabric cases will easily tear and get damaged at airports, but I'm concerned that we won't be able to fit new big hard cases under the bed.

Our current hard cases fitted under the Princess and Costa beds but it was really tight trying to get them under the bed on the Allure of the Seas and even then we could only get one under as there was a spare quilt under there to the other one had to stand in the corner.

many thanks

Hi there

Our spare bedroom looks like a suitcase outlet... 4 on top of the wardrobes, 2 under the window and lost count of the ones under the bed....our search for the ideal case continues;)

What we have found is that if you open the case, most will slide under your cabin bed.

Coming home from our last cruise we found our hard sided Tripp case from Debenhams had a split along the side. Went to the store to get the address so we could write to the manufacturer and were told just bring it back and they would replace it immediately from stock - amazed and delighted to say the least, especially as we had no receipt.

I can also recommend the four wheel hard sided cases from Primark, cheap as chips and so far both have survived any number of flights.

Happy sailing

Sue

many thanks

It comes down to personal preference. Throughout many years of travel we have had both soft bags and hard bags. Some of each held up well and some didn't. The brand didn't seem to make much difference. Sometimes a cheap bag held up better than an expensive one, and sometimes it was the other way around. On some trips the luggage just gets banged around more than on other trips.

One tip I heard from a guy who worked as a customs agent is that they are more likely to go through your bags if you have expensive designer luggage.

At this point the two most important luggage features to me are light weight and outside pockets. I always slip items into the outside pockets of bags that I check, wanting them to be readily accessible so I can easily reach in and grab them without needing to open the entire suitcase.

The same for my carry-on rollaboard, where I can quickly pull my folding umbrella or jacket from the outside pocket if it suddenly starts to rain or turns cold. That outside pocket makes it so easy to pull out the items I will want available on each flight before stashing the bag in the overhead compartment, and then to put them back in again at the end of the flight.

In 1996 I purchased 12 hardsider suitcases in a variety of sizes from Tuesday Morning. I still have 11 of them. They're now 15 years old and still look fairly good.

I always take my hardsiders on cruises. To me they just seem to stand up better to the piling on of suitcases during the loading and unloading processes.

But this is just MY opinion. It certainly is not THE opinion.

I recently bought new luggage and looked for the following:

- not too large so that cases don't exceed the airline size limits or weight limits once fully packed;

- durable soft sided as I have found some of the hard sided ones scratch very easily;

- four wheels are an absolute necessity as the cases are much easier to navigate in the airports and when I travel for business without the DH!

- cases that have "two sections" (top and bottom of case) for packing rather than a case with a nearly flat top that's just a lid and everything has to be packed in the bottom with a lot more wrinkling;

- I especially like the type with a interior top section with a zippered cover so that things don't fall out when you open the case

- bags that fit into each other for storing both at home and under stateroom beds

- I found great Samsonite cases that fit all these criteria and just love them

- not too large so that cases don't exceed the airline size limits or weight limits once fully packed;

-

We learned that the hard way - and I usually pride myself on having a bit of common sense :D DH and I bought beautiful expensive Victorinox Swiss Army luggage several years ago. First time we used them while flying we had to pay the excessive weight fees. I think we would have to pay the fees even if the darn things were empty...they are so heavy! Never crossed my mind.

Lesson learned. We only use that luggage on car trips and use the cheaper, lightweight stuff to fly.

If you're flying I recommend a 25 or 26" soft sided suitcase with the spinner (4) wheels. This will fit under the bed and you'd really have to work at it to exceed the 50 lb weight limit for the airlines. The spinner wheels makes it really easy to manuver even when it's upright.

I also recommend the brightest color you can find this way when you disembark your suitcase will stand out like a beacon among all of the black bags. My personal suitcase is hot pink and my husbands boring khaki bag is usually right next to mine.

many thanks

We bought the large, expandable, soft side Kirkland luggage from Costco. It has survived trips/cruises to Europe, Alaska and South America and, because it is expandable, it is shrinkable. It fits under most cruise stateroom beds. Just a suggestion......

The single best piece of "luggage" that we brought were backpacks.

It's the first time we've used them, and they were a godsend for carrying

cruise documents before and after boarding. The biggest benefit was for

our beach trips while in port. We've never been backpack people (our kids are), but I'll never go without one again.

For those of you who use backpacks, this will be obvious. For those who

think they are only for teenagers, give it a try, you will be pleasantly

surprised.

Rimowa has the best quality luggage in my opinion (I travel around 280 days a year). Their new line is ultralight and has fantastic wheels (100 times better than the crap that Samsonite uses). They also have aluminium cases, which are nearly indestructable...

Rimowa is not cheap though (count around 600 US$ for the biggest Polycarbonate ultralight model) and I'm not sure that Rimowa is a known brand in the US.

If not Rimowa, Samsonite is a good option, but stay away from the 4 wheel models. They block when wheeling them through dust, gravel, sand etc. (think airport renovations/ parking lot etc...)

For a decent low cost model: go American Tourister. They have the same cases as parent Samsonite, just a bit older models, but very dureable.

Whatever you buy, buy luggage with a TSA lock.

We are on a quest for spinner wheels too. We have 2 hard sided Oyster cases that have been around the world many times and they are scratched but are basically indestructible. However, they are heavy and one of them is so old it has no wheels at all! When you decide on what you want, go to EBags, they have great prices and lots of choices.

Similar to Sue'n'Steve, we have so many suitcases but absolutely love our latest purchase: Sub-0-G by Landor & Hawa. They are the worlds lightest cases [the largest 30" case weighs only 2.76 kg] and come in a range of easily identifiable patterns/colours which are changed frequently so that you can virtually guarantee that there will be no others like them on the carousel or the baggage claim area in port.

Although not hard sided, they have an extremely strong but light frame and are guaranteed for life. Despite this, they are not expensive and are available at budget chains such as Bags, Etc and T J Hughes. As such, they are cheap enough to replace when they become shabby.

The largest size easily fit under the bed on Constellation. Oh, yes, they also have wheels, an easy to hold full-width handle and stand well [rather than tip over when full like many cases].

Sue

I prefer the soft cases. I looked at the Sub-O-G when I needed a new case, but in the end decided to go for a Delsey Fiber Lite instead. I have had it for a couple of years and am very pleased. It's not as light as the Sub-O-G, but still pretty good. Along with being robust enough that was my main criteria.

Phil

many thanks

I always travel with my mom and we both have a hard-case Samsonite on wheels. My mom's fits under the bed on a cruise, but mine is a size bigger and doesn't fit under the bed, nor in the closet, so it's not easy to store it away.

However, we keepon using those suitcases for our US vacations, because it's multiple flights, transfers, ... and it's easier (imho) and I feel more "safe" about nothing happening with my suitcase or the contents.

However, on our European cruises and vacations (only 1 flight and shorter), we take fabric travel bags. I swear by the brand Kipling because they are really good quality, and have survived already multiple vacations (anywhere in Europe, North-Africa and even the US, because we take them with us to the US, empty and stuffed in the hard suitcase, and then bring them back filled up with all the shopping we did).

IMG00078.jpg

The red hard-case one on the picture is mine: it's an upright Samsonite on wheels, but doesn't fit under the bed, because it's too thick. The blue one is an older model of Samsonite, on wheels, but not upright. It does fit under the bed perfectly (but as I am taller than most people, I feel that pulling that blue suitcase is difficult, because it comes too "low"). Mom has now bought a lavender one like my upright one, but a size smaller. Haven't tried it on a cruise yet, will try it out in April and hope it fits under the bed (no idea what we'll do if it doesn't fit).

The two rusty-coloured bags are the Kipling bags we use when we are on a one-week vacation, and to bring back our shopping from the US (that's how they were used in the picture, lol)

The single best piece of "luggage" that we brought were backpacks.

It's the first time we've used them, and they were a godsend for carrying

cruise documents before and after boarding. The biggest benefit was for

our beach trips while in port. We've never been backpack people (our kids are), but I'll never go without one again.

For those of you who use backpacks, this will be obvious. For those who

think they are only for teenagers, give it a try, you will be pleasantly

surprised.

Wife's purse is bigger and packs more. Besides she has the servant to carry it for her.:D

Another purchase of Sub-0-G here, purely becasue they were half the weight of others.

Only had them a short time but they've been through Dubai, Manchester, Rome, Abu Dhabi, Gatwick, Sydney and 1 cruise ship. I was concerned at purchase as they looked flimsy, but they still look like new.

Similar to Sue'n'Steve, we have so many suitcases but absolutely love our latest purchase: Sub-0-G by Landor & Hawa. They are the worlds lightest cases [the largest 30" case weighs only 2.76 kg] and come in a range of easily identifiable patterns/colours which are changed frequently so that you can virtually guarantee that there will be no others like them on the carousel or the baggage claim area in port.

Although not hard sided, they have an extremely strong but light frame and are guaranteed for life. Despite this, they are not expensive and are available at budget chains such as Bags, Etc and T J Hughes. As such, they are cheap enough to replace when they become shabby.

The largest size easily fit under the bed on Constellation. Oh, yes, they also have wheels, an easy to hold full-width handle and stand well [rather than tip over when full like many cases].

Sue

Another purchase of Sub-0-G here, purely becasue they were half the weight of others.

Only had them a short time but they've been through Dubai, Manchester, Rome, Abu Dhabi, Gatwick, Sydney and 1 cruise ship. I was concerned at purchase as they looked flimsy, but they still look like new.

Really interesting to read of both your experiences with Sub-0-G...we bought the carry on size last year (TJ Hughes) and it is great, we were put off getting the larger cases after reading a couple of poor reviews on-line. Have just told Steve that we have to go and get a couple as posters on CC are NEVER wrong;)

Sue

Our luggage selections have been guided by weight. Many of the nicer constructed cases mentioned above weight as much as 16 to 20 pounds. There are many cases which weigh 5 to 10lbs less than some of these and with the airline restrictions on luggage it just doesn't make sense to purchase heavy cases when good quality lighter ones are available. And if you are shopping for weight be sure to actually weight the bags. There are lots of models with claims of being lightweight printed on them that weight well over 15lbs for larger bags.

It is interesting to read of the good experiences with the Sub-Zero cases. We bought new luggage last summer and almost bought these but they seemed a little too thin and lightweight to us and we were worried they would not hold up. The larger bags (28.5") in this series are under 7 lbs! I think this style luggage is marketed under several model names and under both the International Traveller brand and the Landor & Hawa brand.

We had some very inexpensive Skyway Ultra no-weight cases we used for about 5 years on lots of trips - 9 pounds for the 28" rolling case. But after several years of use these were wearing out. We were considering getting new ones identical to these and then because of some family issues time got away from us before our last cruise and we had to buy locally and could only find these via internet luggage stores.

We purchases Delsy Helium Superlite cases. These were a bit more expensive, but still not as pricey as some cases mentioned above, and weighed a little more than the Ultra no-wights, but seemed very well constructed. 10.5 pounds for the 29" case. This seemed a pretty good compromise between weight and construction. These are really nice suitcases and my only complaint is that the pull tabs on the zippers are poorly designed and a couple have broken off. But we called Delsey and they sent us a bunch of replacements right away.

As a previous poster wrote, Kipling is a very good quality brand if you want soft-sided bags. When i was a kid, I always had Kipling schoolbags.

It is a Belgian company by the way:)

I have a Kipling backpack:) and I have 2 friends who have regular luggage

by Kipling....they look like dufflebag styles (on wheels) and they told

me they love them.

I have a Samsonite 25 inch that has lasted me for years. Everytime

I think about buying a new piece of luggage? I then say to myself,

why? This one still works great for me:)

Our luggage selections have been guided by weight. Many of the nicer constructed cases mentioned above weight as much as 16 to 20 pounds. There are many cases which weigh 5 to 10lbs less than some of these and with the airline restrictions on luggage it just doesn't make sense to purchase heavy cases when good quality lighter ones are available. And if you are shopping for weight be sure to actually weight the bags. There are lots of models with claims of being lightweight printed on them that weight well over 15lbs for larger bags.

Like some other posters, I've learned my lesson about baggage weight the hard way. As a result, I purchased a luggage scale when I bought my last piece of luggage. Now I know exactly what my bag weighs before I go to the airport. Since the scale is small and fits in my backpack it travels with me, and prevents me from overpacking my bag with trinkets and souveniers on the way home. I think the scale only cost me $15-$20.

In regards to luggage, I really like Briggs and Riley. I have a few bags and they have stood up to the horrors of what Delta does to it's passengers luggage. They also have a lifetime guarantee, and if the bag breaks - your fault or product failure - they fix it for free. I've had one opportunity to use the guarantee, and they fixed the bag, no questions asked.

We have Travelpro Crew luggage. So far it's the best we have ever bought. It's a bit expensive (try to get it on sale) but comes with a good warranty. Ours has survived many years of cruising and airline abuse. Some of the models have spinner wheels, which are wonderful.

I fly 30 times a year for business, and I pack heavy items. i always use soft sides and go for light weight. Luggage usually lasts 18 months at most. And I have used most of them from early Samsonite (which was good before they went to China) to Travelpro. They all broke and were not repaired under warranty due to gorrilla handling at the airport, which is mostly excluded under warranty. I currently have the Delsey Helium which is light weight. It's lasted three years with usual damage, scarring, tattered pipping, but the frame and fabric is intact and the wheels work.

I am not a fan of hard side since you pay half a dollar a pound for excess luggage weight each time you fly.

Archived