Which suitcases are best for cruising?

Another vote for Delsey - have used them many,many times in the past several years. Since we fly we only buy 25 inch bags - any bigger and if you pack them anywhere near full they will be over weight with the airlines. (Sometimes our 25 inch weigh too much!)

My favorite bag for cruises is my American tourister "cruiser" bag. That's what it's called. It opens flat and all our dress clothes lay flat in it and then it zips up like a suitcase, just a bit wider. It packs super quick - from the case to the closet and back.

Eaglecreek luggage. Very light weight and guaranteed for life. The one downside - you may have to lift the bed to store the luggage. The bottoms of the luggage is wider so the bag does not tip over. But it is flexible and can be 'squished' to fit.

These bags take a little practice in packing. But I don't worry about being overweight and the bags are sturdy. We sent a bag to be repaired because DH got impatient and broke one of the inside zipper - repaired at no cost.

Just got the 25" with several compartments.....it is tricky to pack, and I don't care for the packing cubes, etc. Any tips to offer?

Guess if we are naming brands, I have lots of travel pro and really do love it. Takes a beating between airline luggage crews and the folks handling the bags at the port...I've seen more damage done there to folks stuff than at the airport.

I got tired of lost suitcases and lugging stuff so if I am flying, I carry the largest CARRY ON possible. I have lots of suitcases in all sizes and price range, but I settled for one that is made of denier nylon (the stuff the make hockey bags out of) and it is holding up well. I checked the airlines and it met all requirements. I took a cruise to Scandinavia and Russia in 2010 (RCI, of course) with 3 days in London pre-cruise fun. I got EVERYTHING in that one bag. Even formal wear. It easily fit the overhead compartment on the plane. How to pack all of my stuff (and still have CLEAN clothes would be OT and for another thread) but I was so proud of myself.

I also carried a small DAY PACK (back pack) which I put my Kindle, cameras, chargers, etc. The Day Pack counts as a purse (it can also be worn on the side like a purse). The Day Pack has proven invaluable on excursions in Europe. I usually carried bottled water and some snacks in it, and I could put my purchases inside as well (It also has a way to lock combo lock (I use TSA approved). In addition, it has wire mesh in the bottom and wire mesh in the straps to prevent thieves from slashing and running. (I didn't list the brand name because of advertising.) Now, I may look DORKY, because I am 62 but it works for me. My hands are free and I have only 1 bag to look after.

We have found the less we pack the easier it is, especially when flying. We also do early disembarkation and that is a snap with the smaller bags.:) (Also, my bag is the LIGHT WEIGHT version on rollers)

Heck...you could throw your stuff into "redneck" suitcases...(garbage bags!!!)

LOL, a coffee through the nose post! :D

Make mine, contractor cleanup bags. Two ply construction. Uniform side-wall strength. And, you can use them as baskets if you shoot hoops with spent Bud bottles in your stateroom. ;)Yeah baby! :cool:

Large, heavy cases are impractical for today's airlines travel. I'd get 2 smaller, lightweight ones rather than 1 huge one.

I have fabric ones and they have never been torn; the wheels and handles seem to break off first. If you are worried about clothes getting wet pack it all in a plastic bag before you put it in the case.

The crew that loaded our luggage onto the LOS managed to break my wife's wheels on the maiden voyage. I didn't realize until we were leaving and the bag was dragging the carpet...

This was my last suitcase - as seen in her 5 seconds of fame on the Oasis Inaugural Discovery show... how do I know it was mine... because it was butt ugly lime green and able to be found within seconds among 10000 pieces of luggage. It also had the plastic wraparound support corner smashed in from the plane ride to FLL :(

p><p>This ugly case was replaced by a hard side 4 wheel spinner which took a licking on the next vacation by losing 1 wheel (3 wheeling isn

Now I go for the cheapest, ugliest case I can find knowing full well with the luck I have with airlines/cruise ports i'll be lucky to get 1 or 2 trips out of them :(

I just bought a 30" Heys (4 wheels, hard case) at the Bay on Monday night.....paid nowhere near $369!!!! Is that what you paid, or did you get it on sale??? :rolleyes:

:p

Hello Fellow 416er

In answer to your question Re:

http://shop.heys.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=Windsor

That Price is for the 3pc Windsor set: 30” | 26” | 20” From Heys

On Sale & Store pays the TAX Day! :)

Paid $159.99 @ independent luggage store

I have added my MSN ID to my profile here and sent you an Invitation will send you full info if you want after you add me :)

Just got the 25" with several compartments.....it is tricky to pack, and I don't care for the packing cubes, etc. Any tips to offer?

I like the simpler not so many compartment luggage. I do have one of the complicated suitcases - I ignore many of the compartments since they go flat unzipped. I pack clothes on hangers and have 'stuff' in plastic or packing cubes inside so the there are fewer winkles on the clothes. The clothes protect breakables (still packed in plastic bags) etc. I really like the long skinny packing 'cubes' - they fit top bottom sides and can be used for so many things - one now carrys the elec charging cords, masking tape (reseals liquids), shampoo, etc.

I use the cubes mostly to keep little stuff together - socks underwear etc. I do not use the cubes for everything as I pack so much on hangers and in plastic baggies.

Archived