WHY Indian Food ?

block

I am also not a fan of the Indian food, and it was served on RCCL every single day for lunch and dinner (both MDR and buffet). It was easy enough to avoid, but I found it odd to be so frequently offered. Then I found out the head chef on our cruise was from India! It made sense, but this appears to be a fleet-wide occurance and also across differnet lines.

That makes many vegetarians very happy.;):)

just because you don't like it doesn't mean others can't enjoy it. indian food is good and if you don't like it, eat something else. is it really that hard for you to understand?

jebus, don't let your husband quit his day job

just because you don't like it doesn't mean others can't enjoy it. indian food is good and if you don't like it, eat something else. is it really that hard for you to understand?

jebus, don't let your husband quit his day job

If it was good, there would not be a problem. However, what was offered on the ships I have been on was not quality, but there sure was a whole lot of quantity!

If it was good, there would not be a problem. However, what was offered on the ships I have been on was not quality, but there sure was a whole lot of quantity!

Just goes to show how the taste of food is subjective. People rave about the burgers on the outdoor grills and I always see lots of people eating them but they are hockey pucks to me.:D

Just goes to show how the taste of food is subjective. People rave about the burgers on the outdoor grills and I always see lots of people eating them but they are hockey pucks to me.:D

agree on the burgers

It is not nasty or yucky or any of the other terms used- you just don't like it. (Yes, mother- I beat this into my kids heads all the time- so just because you don't like it doesn't make it bad). Anyway, I think one reason it is on a lot of ships is because often the head chef is Indian. And it is one of the most respected cuisines world wide. As noted- you certainly won't go hungry if you don't like Indian food- there are plenty of other dishes to chose.

It is not nasty or yucky or any of the other terms used- you just don't like it. (Yes, mother- I beat this into my kids heads all the time- so just because you don't like it doesn't make it bad). Anyway, I think one reason it is on a lot of ships is because often the head chef is Indian. And it is one of the most respected cuisines world wide. As noted- you certainly won't go hungry if you don't like Indian food- there are plenty of other dishes to chose.

My main complaint was NO -There was NOT other choices on this perticular trip....Indian food for Lunch the last 4 days at the buffet. By the time we returned to the ship MD was closed....Did not see a burger. Indian Food...there was indian food. I'm not saying this happens all the time But someone was pure lazy this trip...

BTW would have felt the same way if the had something I liked for 4 days.

My main complaint was NO -There was NOT other choices on this perticular trip....Indian food for Lunch the last 4 days at the buffet. By the time we returned to the ship MD was closed....Did not see a burger. Indian Food...there was indian food. I'm not saying this happens all the time But someone was pure lazy this trip...

BTW would have felt the same way if the had something I liked for 4 days.

That is a different thing- no other choices is indeed odd. I love Indian food but no other choices doesn't seem right. Because certainly not everyone does like it and not everyone wants it all the time.

I happen to be one of those who enjoy Indian food, as well as other ethnic foods. And I absolutely love the Indian vegetarian dinner offered the first night on Carnival. As someone else has said, it is nice to have an alternative to the regular stuff we can get at home at any buffet style restaurant. And I loved the tandoor grill on the Freedom. JMHO.:)

From "Happy trailer'

Some of us can't get enough of Indian food- I'm all but addicted to it!

FYI, The Dining room also a has separate Indian Menu every night in the MDR........BUT, you have to order it with the hostess, or representative the evening before, and from what I Hear, it is very very good quality. I plan to indulge in the next week on my cruise on the Ecstasy.

Below is a copy of the menu & dates offered.

Although the menu may not be of the majority of the population that patronizes the ship, there are many staff members that DO eat this food. The nightly offerings are prepared fresh, and are the same that are served each night to the crew (Very much fresher than the buffet offerings)........and, again, I have only heard reviews that they are very very good. Also an alternative to vegetarians in the MDR.

Indian Meals

We are able to provide Indian Meals for guests who request them. The meals are available on all ships and itineraries.

The link to more info about the is:

https://www.goccl.com/irman/bookccl/sections/shipboard/DiningOnboard_master.html

Scroll down to the left to "Indian Meals"

FYI, The Dining room also a has separate Indian Menu every night in the MDR........BUT, you have to order it with the hostess, or representative the evening before, and from what I Hear, it is very very good quality.

Thanks for posting this, Laura! I had a great time on my Carnival cruise, and now I have a terrific reason to book on Carnival again!

Ruth

We love to try new types of foods, especially those that have unique spices. I was pleased to see that these ethnic foods are even appearing in the MDR on various ships. Unfortunately, many cruisers are happy with pizza, burgers, and chicken fingers.

Thanks for posting this, Laura! I had a great time on my Carnival cruise, and now I have a terrific reason to book on Carnival again!

Ruth

I only wish I knew about this sooner myself. I had read about it before my last cruise, and asked the chef about it while we were touring the galley.

We love to try new types of foods, especially those that have unique spices. I was pleased to see that these ethnic foods are even appearing in the MDR on various ships. Unfortunately, many cruisers are happy with pizza, burgers, and chicken fingers.

I agree, actually I think there are a majority that enjoy different cusines but those that don't are sadly very vocal...

30 years ago when I first started travelling through Europe I would often hear the cries of don't you have Fries... or Chips..

I was on a Cosmos holiday, we had arrived in Italy and yet again were given another 'English meal' this time after seeing all the Italian dishes going to other tables I spoke up and said I'm in Italy I want Italian food... The tour op said, this is what our customers request.. I put my foot down and said .. I want Italian food in Italy not chicken and chips why not give us the choice.... In the end our whole bus tour was given a choice... All but 3 opted for the pasta..;)

Please save the daggers.

What is it with the Indian food on the buffets? Our last cruise had it on the tables for lunch almost everyday. Sorry It's nasty ! We were on Carnival for 5 days. I can understand one day. But 4 out of 5 Come on! And it looks like NCL also has it on there buffet. I just can't take another cruise filled with Curry ...I hope they don't serve in morning noon and night.

Am I the only one who doesn't like it ??

Please tell me I will only see it 1 day on my next trip? (ncl-jewel)

I love Indian food, and most of it is not filled with curry.

I LOVE Indian food! The spicier the better. If they had it on a cruise I was on,I'd order it!

It looks like RCI offers an Indian option in the MDR each evening. I hope they don't change the menu before I can finally get back on board.

I'm expecting the typical American Buffet (and not with any eagerness). Instead of the usual bland, fat-laden, staples of Denny's and Waffle House, an offering of some tasty and healthy Indian food will be appreciated. Some Ethiopian and Thai would be great, too!

It is correct that a lot of British cruisers love Indian food as well as many vegetarians as it is a welcome change from bland pasta every night. We sometimes order the Indian vegetarian dish as a side at dinner. I happen to despise Mexican food, but if they want to serve tacos and nachos every day on the buffet I never have a problem finding something else to eat and certainly don't go around complaining about it.

Very true, we love Indian food, I could eat it everyday, its tasty and the spices in it are amazing. I hate bland food.