Dinner time on the Explorer of the Seas???

:confused:

We have been on the EOS about 5 times in the last two years and dinner time for late seating has always been 8:30. we just noticed on our cruise paperwork that our March 20th sailing is at 8pm.

Is this now the new time or is this an error? Of course, when we call rccl, we get different answers. We are thrilled with 8pm but think it's too good to be true.

any idea? thanks.

Just back from a 14 day on EOS out of Bayonne, NJ and Early seating is at 6 and Main or Late seating is at 8. They offer my time dining, but I think that is just for those who are lazy and can't make it at either of those times. They eat on deck 5, Columbus Dining Room. You can either schedule my time dining ahead of time or show up, and they will seat you as they have room. We had table 505, and if you get Stifford and Rosa, they are the best waiter and asst waiter we have ever had. Our table was set for 10 but only 8 showed every night. If going this time of year, no need to have window table as it is dark for dining and you cannot see water anyway.

Guest maddycat
Just back from a 14 day on EOS out of Bayonne, NJ and Early seating is at 6 and Main or Late seating is at 8. They offer my time dining, but I think that is just for those who are lazy and can't make it at either of those times.

We do MTD for many reasons. We like to sit at a table for two. In MTD there are many more tables for two than in the traditional dining areas. We like to eat when we are hungry and not be forced to follow the ship's two scheduled dinner times. We're not fond of long drawn out dinners. With MTD dinner is served at our pace.

We are not lazy. When we had to (before MTD), we always made it to the dining room on time. We didn't enjoy sitting through a two hour dinner, but we did. We don' t need waiters and assistant waiters to entertain us and be our new best friends. As long as the service is good, that is all that matters to us. We have never been disappointed with the MTD service. It has always been excellent.

The earlier dining times are supposed to be more convenient for the seniors on board. At least that's the reason I was told for the change.

Ok now I don't want the early seating anymore lol. It doesn't really make sense either, I would consider Ex more of a family ship, especially during holidays and summertime.

thanks everyone for your answers. i happen to love the 8pm time. we were going to my time dining this time because 8:30 is too late because we end up missing some things that begin at 10pm, etc. we enjoy dinner time and don't rush it so 8:30 wasn't going to work this time. we are thrilled that they are trying the new times. 5:30 is so early though and leaving ports at 5 and 6pm makes it tough on the early diners. but they allow 2 hours for dinner and they need a half hour to change over the tables and get them all set up for the 8:30 seating. so if they were going to change to 8pm they didn't have a choice but to change to 5:30 as well.

thanks again for all the info.

I'm certain the new dining times are the result of passenger feedback. While we've always dined at 8:30, many feel it's too late to have dinner. Of course the complete opposite is true in many South American and European countries where dinner at 8:30 is considered eating early.

Probably sound dumb, but what is MTD? Is it like flex style [HAL] or Britannina club [Cunard]

We do MTD for many reasons. We like to sit at a table for two. In MTD there are many more tables for two than in the traditional dining areas. We like to eat when we are hungry and not be forced to follow the ship's two scheduled dinner times. We're not fond of long drawn out dinners. With MTD dinner is served at our pace.

We are not lazy. When we had to (before MTD), we always made it to the dining room on time. We didn't enjoy sitting through a two hour dinner, but we did. We don' t need waiters and assistant waiters to entertain us and be our new best friends. As long as the service is good, that is all that matters to us. We have never been disappointed with the MTD service. It has always been excellent.

That is what we like! Britannia Club is the name for it on Cunard. But on Cunard we had a limited menu, that actually cost us a lot more! Everyone loved it but it was not the same food being served in the main dining rooms! The grilled steak was to die for! But we are not steak people!

Another line gave us the exact same menu we just had to pre pay gratuities! We always have a table for two and do our own thing!

It's My Time Dining. You prepay your gratuities and you can reserve your times online in advance or show up once you're onboard.

That is what we like! Britannia Club is the name for it on Cunard. But on Cunard we had a limited menu, that actually cost us a lot more! Everyone loved it but it was not the same food being served in the main dining rooms! The grilled steak was to die for! But we are not steak people!

Another line gave us the exact same menu we just had to pre pay gratuities! We always have a table for two and do our own thing!

If you really want MTD I would choose it before you leave for your cruise, otherwise you may not get it, as space is limited.

thanks everyone for your answers. i happen to love the 8pm time. we were going to my time dining this time because 8:30 is too late because we end up missing some things that begin at 10pm, etc. we enjoy dinner time and don't rush it so 8:30 wasn't going to work this time. we are thrilled that they are trying the new times. 5:30 is so early though and leaving ports at 5 and 6pm makes it tough on the early diners. but they allow 2 hours for dinner and they need a half hour to change over the tables and get them all set up for the 8:30 seating. so if they were going to change to 8pm they didn't have a choice but to change to 5:30 as well.

thanks again for all the info.

Hate to tell you but I'm sure all the shows will be moved up 1/2 hr too.

Archived