Passports

Vettech30

Consider a passport card. They're $55 and they'll let you drive or sail between the US, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. NO international flying and NO places other than I just named. Bear in mind, a passport (or card) DOES last for a whole decade, and the cost will undoubtedly rise to get one between now and 2021 (plus, you'll have it to take your flying car to Niagara falls in 2020...wonder if that'll count as flying or driving across borders....) DO IT.

Consider a passport card. They're $55 and they'll let you drive or sail between the US, Canada, Mexico and the Caribbean. NO international flying and NO places other than I just named. Bear in mind, a passport (or card) DOES last for a whole decade, and the cost will undoubtedly rise to get one between now and 2021 (plus, you'll have it to take your flying car to Niagara falls in 2020...wonder if that'll count as flying or driving across borders....) DO IT.

In an emergency situation a passport card is no better then traveling with just a bc and ID when it comes to flying home from a non US port...completely worthless.

My husband and I keep our passports current because we believe they are important to have regardless of whether or not you have current international travel planned. I know people who had very last minute international travel opportunities come there way and had to turn them down due to not having a passport. As others have sad, when you factor the price over the ten years they are valid - the cost isn't that much!

DH and I got passport cards for ourselves and 2 children for a trip into Mexico from San Diego last year. Plus, we live so close to Canada it seemed like a good idea. Then, when we decided on our first cruise, (happening in 14 days!) we already had our passports.

Problem is, now we find out that this dumb card is worthless if some emergency happens while on the trip.

Wasn't really thinking the what if game when booking a trip you know!! I thought the passport card was fine because I knew it got me into the ports and all.

Like I said, I wish there never was a passport card. I feel like I wasted my $$.

Oh they wouldn't refuse entry...they would just require you to prove citizenship. Which can be awfully hard when you are in a foreign country. It certainly would not happen overnight. You could be stuck spending days (weeks!) there as opposed to those that flash their passport and are home.
Consider that just one extra night at a hotel alone can cost you more than a passport that is good for 10 years.

Archived