What do you think fair compensation would have been for Elation Jan 10th to 15th?

lovintheship

starting rates for this cruise were between $250-300

they got $50 back....or about 1/5 the starting cruise rate...

they missed a port

sounds more than fare to me.

I roomed alone and paid $630 for my room and when price dropped they offered me to move 6 doors down as an upgrade so this statement is incorrect

I had that same feeling that we were having trouble before we left but once they leave port they have our money and what do they care!!!!! The more rude comments I read the more disgusted I get

Haha! You have to just take what the cheerleaders have to say with a grain of salt. They don't believe Carnival can do wrong and therefor anyone who claims they have MUST be wrong!

I do have issues with this- especially after the whole Splendor thing. There is a huge difference between "Act of God" (weather) and "Act of Man" (mechanical issues). When my fight to Hawaii was delayed for 4 hours because of engine issue causing me to miss a connecting flight to my final destination the airline put me up in a hotel for the night, gave me a meal stipend, and coupons for free drinks on my next flight. If you keep this in mind then Carnival should refund the passengers for an entire night since they didn't fulfill what they promised to do. So for a five day cruise, if you paid $500, you should get $100 back. Beyond that, I don't think they owe you much.

And just because it's in the contract doesn't make it right. I don't think Northwest Airlines had to give me money for food and drink coupons when my flight got canceled but they recognized that I was upset about missing the first day of my Hawaii vacation and they did whatever they could do to make me happy. Making people happy (to a point) should always be he goal in the service industry. I continued to happily fly Northwest until it's demise when it gotten eaten by that terror of an airline, Delta. Carnival, however, I'm pretty much done with due to their complete lack of customer care.

There was no open bar...I dont know why people keep saying thaat. I was there and no open bar!!!!.you obviously werent on the ship. and we got a $50 OBc...the other 22 was owed to us for taxes for port we missed. Also we were supposed to arrive in Cozumel at 8am and finally got off the ship bout 2ish (3 hrs of daylight left) then they decided to head out of warmer weather back towards Mobile so we couldnt even go on the decks (too cold)
My guess is you were responding to posts as you got to them, rather than reading them all and then responding. You must have missed the post where Firefly addressed the open bar issue after being told by someone else there was no open bar. I know you're upset because you didn't get the type of cruise you wanted. I would be disappointed as well, but I don't really think it warrants further compensation. Your cruise wasn't cut short, but you didn't get the port time you thought you'd have and that is disappointing.

I roomed alone and paid $630 for my room and when price dropped they offered me to move 6 doors down as an upgrade so this statement is incorrect

the problem is the 200% for singles .. but if there is any compensation when you are solo, its only for one person. I think you should have gotten the $72 X 2 myself.

I have a similar issue with a couple of my cruises and it kind of sucks that when you miss ports they only compesate for one fare, but you paid two. That price isnt even that high .. its just the same as if you paid say $289 X 2 plus taxes and fees.

Thank you for not being rude in your reply. I didnt expect all these rude responses.

This is just MY OPINION, but what I have learned on these boards is the following (again in my opinion).

The vast majority of the experienced cruisers on these boards are retired or semi-retired. Add to this their devotion to one or more of the cruise lines.

As a new retiree I can tell you that time to me is not nearly as important as it once was. By this I mean, when I was working my vacation time had value to it. Every day off was something I had to work long and hard to earn. If I booked a holiday trip for my annual vacation time and something went wrong, the personal cost to me was far greater than just the cost of a hotel room or a meal or some such thing. The cost to me was all that I would have to live throught in order to accumulate enough leave to allow for another trip, PLUS the money needed to purchase it.

People who are retired tend to forget this, and, as is the case with me, I would just take this all with a grain of salt and an experience to take home and talk about. If compensation was included so much the better. HOWEVER, never forget that I can just book another cruise when the price is right where a working person can't.

As for what is, and what is not satisfactory compensation? Only you can answer this for yourself. No one here understands your circumstances and what you had to give up in order to have this vacation. Nor do we really know how badly this really affected you personally.

I do hope you find the solution you are looking for, but my advice is to not seek it on these boards. No-one here knows your situation nor your loss but they will cheerlead wherever they can, no matter the cost to your personal feelings. It is almost like they win a badge of honor if they can knock you out (verbally).

Good Luck.

No, the statement is not incorrect. You had to pay the single supplement, so you paid double, but your case does not change what the starting rates are. I think your frustration is beginning to blind you.

the problem is the 200% for singles .. but if there is any compensation when you are solo, its only for one person. I think you should have gotten the $72 X 2 myself.

I have a similar issue with a couple of my cruises and it kind of sucks that when you miss ports they only compesate for one fare, but you paid two. That price isnt even that high .. its just the same as if you paid say $289 X 2 plus taxes and fees.

In the past I paid twice the room rate but only the port fees and taxes for one. So when they return the port fees you should only receive one. I do agree with the 50 compensation though. It should be doubled.

This is just MY OPINION, but what I have learned on these boards is the following (again in my opinion).

The vast majority of the experienced cruisers on these boards are retired or semi-retired. Add to this their devotion to one or more of the cruise lines.

As a new retiree I can tell you that time to me is not nearly as important as it once was. By this I mean, when I was working my vacation time had value to it. Every day off was something I had to work long and hard to earn. If I booked a holiday trip for my annual vacation time and something went wrong, the personal cost to me was far greater than just the cost of a hotel room or a meal or some such thing. The cost to me was all that I would have to live throught in order to accumulate enough leave to allow for another trip, PLUS the money needed to purchase it.

People who are retired tend to forget this, and, as is the case with me, I would just take this all with a grain of salt and an experience to take home and talk about. If compensation was included so much the better. HOWEVER, never forget that I can just book another cruise when the price is right where a working person can't.

As for what is, and what is not satisfactory compensation? Only you can answer this for yourself. No one here understands your circumstances and what you had to give up in order to have this vacation. Nor do we really know how badly this really affected you personally.

I do hope you find the solution you are looking for, but my advice is to not seek it on these boards. No-one here knows your situation nor your loss but they will cheerlead wherever they can, no matter the cost to your personal feelings. It is almost like they win a badge of honor if they can knock you out (verbally).

Good Luck.

Wowww!!! What an incredibly thoughtful response. I enjoyed reading this.

The vast majority of the experienced cruisers on these boards are retired or semi-retired.

I am an experienced cruiser, but far from retired. I get no paid time off -every time I cruise, it costs me a lot more than the actual cruise price.

If someone isn't willing to accept opinions that don't validate their own opinion, they might want to think twice before asking.

In the past I paid twice the room rate but only the port fees and taxes for one. So when they return the port fees you should only receive one. I do agree with the 50 compensation though. It should be doubled.

As you might know, the port fees are part of the cruise fare, never added on.

There was a time, about 2 years ago, back in the 150% days, when they subtracted the port fees from the cruise fare before doing the 50% more.. hardly a fuss when they quit doing that about a year ago, as most people are unaware the port fees are included in the cruisefare.

Since last July, when you pay 200%, you are paying double port charges as well .. but just one add on taxes and fees.

RCL doesnt do this, just Carnival and most people are unaware of it.

The problem with offering compensation is .. no matter what Carnival offered .. people would be feeling they should have gotten more. Iv never seen any offer where there were not people who felt in their own case, more $$$ was due.

All I can say is write to carnival and state your reasons .. dont go off the deep end accusing them of knowing when they left mobile there was a problem and endless speculations .. but do state why you believe you should be due more $$$. At least you will have to think it out and figure out for yourself what you feel is due. .. probably not a free cruise .. but hey OP if you really meant that .. write.

You dont even know what happened. We didnt just miss a port. Its pointless to argue with you

For the benefit of all of Cruise Critic that was not on this sailing,

could you explain what all happened other than what we know?

Assuming that the following is correct, this is what we know.

a) 1st port day was very short..about 3 hours

b) missed 2nd port

c) were out at sea cruising slowly pack to port.

d) compensated with $72pp

e) there was no open bar

b) missed 2nd port

e) there was no open bar

I believe there first port day was longer than 3 hours...... I think they were allowed off the ship from 3 to 9:30.... but it did arrive later than expected and so most excursions were canceled.

b) missed 2nd port

e) there was no open bar

The first port wasn't really short, just late. As another poster said, we were not required to be back on ship until 9:30 PM, which if the weather had been nice I personally would have enjoyed. It isn't often you get to see the 'night life' of a port. It is true excursions were canceled due to the lateness in docking, but honestly the weather and swells sucked. They would likely have been canceled anyway, as no boats under 50 feet were being allowed to sail. It was pouring rain, the wind was a gale and it was very abnormally cold. So the excursion thing is likely a push. Even if we'd been on time, people would have missed out.

Other than that, the above brief summary is correct. What is not contained in it was the lack of communication, the evasiveness when people went to those who should have answers etc. In the shadow of what happened on the Splendor, waking up dead in the water was more than a little bit concerning. Then listening to the banging, clanking, chugging, watching out the aft windows in Tiffany's to see only one propulsion side working, smelling the scent of stuff burning - combined with all the verbalizing of the guests, the griping, in-family spats, the complaining, swearing, fretting, screeching, squabbling - you get the idea. The atmosphere on board was chaotic and panicked, which then fueled more of the same as people speculated and tried to figure out what was going on and the rumor mill began to absolutely FLY. There was no announcement until somewhere around 10:30 AM as to why we were dead in the water and what was expected to happen next. That was a full two and a half hours after we were supposed to be able to exit the ship at Cozumel. That is poor handling of a sticky situation, poor communication and poor service.

And that is probably what is making some people feel there ought to be more compensation - because it was a giant clusterf*** for a while there. :cool: I don't agree with their assessment - I feel adequately compensated, but I do see where they are coming from in a sense.

Archived