Swim with dolphins?

love2learn

Short answer is YES!!!!!

There are basically 2, Dolphin Discovery and Dolphinaris. We really enjoyed Dolphin Discovery in Nov.

You can search this area and also google them and find so many responses. I do know that some policies have changed with respect to Dolphin Discovery is you are sailing Carnival, so check the most up to date listing.

Have fun, it was a great experience!

Can you do the Dolphin Encounter at Chankanaab Park on your own or do you have to do it as a excursion?

I think that's where some policies have changed for some of the cruise lines. We were there in Nov. on Carnival and did it on our own, super easy. Now I understand Dolphin Discovery at Chankanaab Park will not let you book directly to them if you are coming through Carnival, and you have to do it through a ship's excursion. But one possible way to get around that is to wait til you dock, take a taxi there and then book. This would work as long as it is not crowded. In Nov. even with 5 other ships in port it was not crowded at all. Summer however may be a different story.

We did the dolphin push pull and swim while with Royal Caribbean last week at Chankanaab Marine Park and it was amazing!

It was a really nice park. They had a beach, the dolphins, a sea lion show. Lots of stuff going on here. It was a very short ride in a taxi which is included in the cost of your tickets to get to the park. There area where you are with the dolphins is large and very nice. They have lockers that you use for free to put everything in that you do not want to get wet. We had the 9:30 excursion and had the option to take a noon, 1pm, or 2pm taxi back that was also included in our cost, so if you wanted to stay on the beach or see the sea lion show or other things in the park you could. We loved it. They teach you the hand signals (don't worry if you don't remember, once in the water you will be guided if you forget). You are broken into small groups and have a trainer for each group who is in the water with you. They also have their own photographers, you can bring ur own underwater camera to use though or you can buy a disposable underwater there for 22$. The pics they take are 25$ a picture of 95$ for the whole CD of pics....however the prices must change cause they started negotiating with us when we couldn't decide on pics and offered us lower prices and told us not to tell anyone, but you know they do that with everyone I'm sure. we were all in different rooms looking at the pics so I'm sure you can negotiate. Should have known that going in. It doesn't cost them 80$ to put some digital pictures on a CD that's for sure which was what he started offering to us. So if you go here, definitely negotiate if you want the pics.

We had sooo much fun though. It was sooo cool!!!! You kiss the dolphin, dolphin kisses you on cheek, dolphin gives you a ride in on it's belly while you grab onto the fins, you also get to ride in on a boogie board while the dolphin pushes you in, you dance with the dolphin...all by using the hand signals. You each get your time and turn and no one is left out and if it doesn't work out right the first time they make sure you get it right and that it works for u. :) The water was very blue. the beach was nice!!

164823_713284994222_23115771_38273478_7163363_n.jpg

166886_713285158892_23115771_38273481_3295943_n.jpg163750_713285084042_23115771_38273480_434172_n.jpg166298_713285024162_23115771_38273479_4121182_n.jpg __________________

Thanks everyone for this thread. DH and I will be in Coz Sep 2011. We usually go in Dec. Since it will be a warmer time of year, I talked DH into the dolphins swim thing. (He is not a strong swimmer).

I have heard of this Chankanaab Marine Park and have driven by it on the way to other excursions. What a combo, dolphins with other beach activities. I was hoping to do thru the ship bc of seamlessness and not missing the ship. We did the Highlights of Coz thru ship and really liked that. We did the Tulim ruins and Nachi on our own and liked that too.

In Dec 2010, there was lots of road construction going on, so you have to allow time to and fro from ship.

Can't wait to spend some time with the dolphins in Sep!!! Thanks all.

ThinkingInPink - Hey! I've booked this for our April trip to Cozumel. I think we are scheduled to arrive in Coz at 10:00 and leave at 6:00. I booked for 1:00. Will that give us some time to shop/explore before or after the dolphin swim at 1:00? Anyone else know?

We did the dolphin push pull and swim while with Royal Caribbean last week at Chankanaab Marine Park and it was amazing!

It was a really nice park. They had a beach, the dolphins, a sea lion show. Lots of stuff going on here. It was a very short ride in a taxi which is included in the cost of your tickets to get to the park. There area where you are with the dolphins is large and very nice. They have lockers that you use for free to put everything in that you do not want to get wet. We had the 9:30 excursion and had the option to take a noon, 1pm, or 2pm taxi back that was also included in our cost, so if you wanted to stay on the beach or see the sea lion show or other things in the park you could. We loved it. They teach you the hand signals (don't worry if you don't remember, once in the water you will be guided if you forget). You are broken into small groups and have a trainer for each group who is in the water with you. They also have their own photographers, you can bring ur own underwater camera to use though or you can buy a disposable underwater there for 22$. The pics they take are 25$ a picture of 95$ for the whole CD of pics....however the prices must change cause they started negotiating with us when we couldn't decide on pics and offered us lower prices and told us not to tell anyone, but you know they do that with everyone I'm sure. we were all in different rooms looking at the pics so I'm sure you can negotiate. Should have known that going in. It doesn't cost them 80$ to put some digital pictures on a CD that's for sure which was what he started offering to us. So if you go here, definitely negotiate if you want the pics.

We had sooo much fun though. It was sooo cool!!!! You kiss the dolphin, dolphin kisses you on cheek, dolphin gives you a ride in on it's belly while you grab onto the fins, you also get to ride in on a boogie board while the dolphin pushes you in, you dance with the dolphin...all by using the hand signals. You each get your time and turn and no one is left out and if it doesn't work out right the first time they make sure you get it right and that it works for u. :) The water was very blue. the beach was nice!!

166886_713285158892_23115771_38273481_3295943_n.jpg163750_713285084042_23115771_38273480_434172_n.jpg166298_713285024162_23115771_38273479_4121182_n.jpg __________________

Does anyone know if two people do this together can you buy just one video/picture package that would include both people ? If yes, how much does it cost. Thanks for your help !

there were 7 people in our Royal Swim group, my family of 5 and a couple from our ship that we'd never met before. The video is of the group so they are on our video and we are on theirs. The photos are individuals... they did 3 pix of each person: the kiss, the hug, and the fin shake. I believe that for the video cd and our 15 pix (8x10's) it was like $175. I'm thinking they originally wanted $200 but I negotiated them down and got them to throw in a family pic we did with a seal as well. I got the impression that most people pay pretty much full price. To me the pix and cd were super over priced but the whole thing kind of is. Its still an awesome experience and we have great pix to remember it by.

georgiamom~ you'll have plenty of time for shopping. the dolphin swim program only takes about 1-1/2 hrs, plus 15 mins driving both ways. there's lots to do there though if you want to stay longer. we actually spent the day.

• 1 month later...

I found your post while looking around the site. Can you tell me if this event is as strenuous as the write up on it says it is? According to the site this is for the very physically fit.....

Thanks in advance for your advise.

Dianne:)

Just wanted to chime in on Dolphinaris. My 5 year old and I did this in early February with our Disney cruise.

We were in the water for about an hour with 6 other people. We got to touch, hug, kiss the dolphin and then get pulled by the dolphin also. My five year old loved that part!

We took a taxi from the pier (about a 5 min drive) and were dropped off at the front door. Went in, got a life jacket and were assigned a group number. There were lockers available (i think they were about $3??). Semi clean bathrooms with some changing stalls but no place that I saw for a private shower or plugs for hair dryer, etc... There were several outside showers to rinse off though.

There was a bar that overlooked the dolphin area and the ocean. Also a terrace up top next to the picture place that was a sit down place to order food. We shared a large platter with 4 others of all sorts of mexican food that was really good.

We spent $139 on the DVD movie of our time with the dolphin and 8 pictures that I picked out.

We didnt hang around after that and they called a Taxi to take us back that came right away to take us back to the pier.

Overall, i would recommend this excursion. The main reason I chose this one over Chankanaab was that it isnt in the open water so you dont have to worry about waves, etc... Since it was just the two of us, i thought a pool would be easier.

If anyone has any questions, please let me know.

Just wanted to chime in on Dolphinaris. My 5 year old and I did this in early February with our Disney cruise.

We were in the water for about an hour with 6 other people. We got to touch, hug, kiss the dolphin and then get pulled by the dolphin also. My five year old loved that part!

We took a taxi from the pier (about a 5 min drive) and were dropped off at the front door. Went in, got a life jacket and were assigned a group number. There were lockers available (i think they were about $3??). Semi clean bathrooms with some changing stalls but no place that I saw for a private shower or plugs for hair dryer, etc... There were several outside showers to rinse off though.

There was a bar that overlooked the dolphin area and the ocean. Also a terrace up top next to the picture place that was a sit down place to order food. We shared a large platter with 4 others of all sorts of mexican food that was really good.

We spent $139 on the DVD movie of our time with the dolphin and 8 pictures that I picked out.

We didnt hang around after that and they called a Taxi to take us back that came right away to take us back to the pier.

Overall, i would recommend this excursion. The main reason I chose this one over Chankanaab was that it isnt in the open water so you dont have to worry about waves, etc... Since it was just the two of us, i thought a pool would be easier.

If anyone has any questions, please let me know.

I am booked for Dolphinaris next week, I am concered about the price of pics and dvd. Did you have to haggle to pay the $139? I heard it would be around $350 and it is hard to haggle with them. I don't mind $139 but $350 is robbery. Thanks for any input.

We are on Freedom of the Seas and going to be in Cozumel in November and promsed my daughters that we would swim with the Dolphins.

We also want to go diving on the same day and not sure if we will have the time. I am hoping if I can try and book the first dolphin swim and then an afernoon dive I can sqeeze it is.

I believe there are 2 places; Dolphinarus and Chankaanb Park? Chankanaab Park is the same as Discocery Cove?

Dolphinaus is in a pool and Chankanaab Park is in open water?:confused:

I am trying to get the two place sraight in my mind,

Any and all ideas , opinions are welcome!

Archived