"Happy Ships"

MarkBearSF

Through the years, I've noticed that, for whatever reason, certain ships take on the reputation of "happy ships" and are blessed with onboard atmosphere and a crew attitude that makes time on them special. These ships usually have a high retention rate and get a reputation amongst the crew as a favored assignment. These ships are usually not the newest, biggest or flashiest in the fleet.

Looking through the posts, it appears that the Spirit is one of these ships. Is it just me - or is there something special about the Spirit's spirit these days?

Mark

Ok here we go I was on the Jade in late Oct I had a great time, I am a single woman so I like a party feel. I noticed the Jade crew was a little more subdued, I have been on 39 cruises and 5xs on Gem most of the staff know me even on the Jade I saw a few people who remembered me. When I brought up the difference from the ships this is what I was told the Jade has more couples married or whatever, the Gem was more single crew and they tend to party more and be more what should I say outgoing. Anyhow that is just my observation and also what some crew said to me. I sort of agree with the staff about a ships crew making it a party ship or not. I am NOT saying married people aren't party or happy people just saying......:D:rolleyes:

The mood of the crew and the attitude of the ship DOES make a difference. No matter how well-trained and customer-focused, there's something special about a happy ship (..and some ships seem to be cursed with problems) As ships are more standardized and operations plans and staffs are shifted about, things are a bit more homogenized, but the difference between an acceptable experience and one of those touchstone cruises is often the spirit of the ship.

I have a hopeful feeling that the Spirit is one of those ships.

It seems to me that one or more of the officers can create the mood of the ship. Some examples that come to mind are Tony Lockett, Jean Michel Dhelan, Lars Bergstrom, and many others. When they are on a ship, their personalities take over, and the ship becomes a "happy ship". You will notice the crew enjoy their company and the mood brightens when these guys show up.

Through the years, I've noticed that, for whatever reason, certain ships take on the reputation of "happy ships" and are blessed with onboard atmosphere and a crew attitude that makes time on them special. These ships usually have a high retention rate and get a reputation amongst the crew as a favored assignment. These ships are usually not the newest, biggest or flashiest in the fleet.

Looking through the posts, it appears that the Spirit is one of these ships. Is it just me - or is there something special about the Spirit's spirit these days?

Mark

I loved the Jewel because it was my first cruise. But yes, the Spirit has a crew and atmosphere that is beautiful. You will love the Spirit!

Mark

Most NCL ships seem to fit the "happy ship" theme, but the two that stick in my mind: The Jewel and the Sun.

Nita

This is a tough one. Hmmmm, I have to include the Majesty although she is no longer with the fleet. The Pearl was the happiest with the Dawn in second by a hull nose. Since most of the senior officers have been reassigned lately, it will be interesting to ask this question again in the future.

coka

Well, the Dawn sure has had her share of problems. However, I would vote her onto the "Happy Ship" list. As far as the Majesty, loved that ship too and she will also always be remembered as a "Happy Ship"! :)

Most NCL ships seem to fit the "happy ship" theme, but the two that stick in my mind: The Jewel and the Sun.

Nita

Personally, I would add the Jade to that list. 21 days on her was so great for us in Jan/Feb 2009!

Archived