to lock or not to lock?

daisy-mae

Sorry if this topic has been explored before. We're just wondering if it is better to lock our suitcases before boarding, or do we leave them unlocked for inspection?

On my first cruise some years ago, my suitcase was damaged when some overzealous employee attempted to remove a small lock that was simply hanging on the zipper tongue (and not being used to lock the case). I realize that the pier staff do have a large volume of luggage to process, but would rather err on the side of caution.

Does anyone know if RCCL has a policy on locking luggage?

Thanks.

Once when I was traveling internationally, the person at immigration needed to check my luggage. Before I could locate my keys to unlock my suitcase, the woman just took a ball point pen and inserted it into the zipper. She immediately had access to my suitcase, despite it being locked. Since this experience, I don't put anything valuable in my luggage and I don't bother to lock it.

If it's NOT in your possession, it should be LOCKED....ALWAYS! And, it doesn't HAVE to be a TSA lock...that's not a law! Buy your own locks at any hardware or wal-mart!

It may not be foolproof, but at least, you'll know if someone's bothered your things!

We use zip ties, I bought some neon colored ones and use those. If they have been removed we will know. A lock won't stop a thief, It is a waste of money. Our bags have been opened by TSA a couple of times. They re ziptied them with clear zipties and left a note that bags were inspected. We NEVER put any valuables in our checked luggage. I have insurance on my bags, so if they want the clothes go for it.. just my 2 cents

Once when I was traveling internationally, the person at immigration needed to check my luggage. Before I could locate my keys to unlock my suitcase, the woman just took a ball point pen and inserted it into the zipper. She immediately had access to my suitcase, despite it being locked. Since this experience, I don't put anything valuable in my luggage and I don't bother to lock it.

Here's the video for that: http://goo.gl/4r2rt

If it's NOT in your possession, it should be LOCKED....ALWAYS! And, it doesn't HAVE to be a TSA lock...that's not a law! Buy your own locks at any hardware or wal-mart!

It may not be foolproof, but at least, you'll know if someone's bothered your things!

We use TSA locks and/or zip ties to lock our luggage and all of the outer zippered compartments. If anyone tampers with it, we will know about it.

Not a chance, folks...

We have never locked our suitcases and have never had a problem with tampering. That being said, we never put anything in a checked bag that we can't afford to "lose". All valuables stay with us in purse or carry-on.

To lock or not to lock really just depends upon your level of paranoia about someone opening your bag. If it makes you feel better, go ahead and use a lock. I'm in the camp of those who never use a lock. I don't use zip ties, either, but they can be handy to prevent a zipper from snagging on something and being inadvertantly opened. I've never had that happen, but have heard of it happening to others.

I would never lock a suitcase that has a zipper. The zipper can be pried open a locked suitcase just as easily and quickly as an unlocked suitcase can be opened. A lock serves as zero deterrent and advertises that something of value is inside. To me locking a suitcase is like locking an envelope or a tent. Why draw attention to your suitcase without making it more difficult to access? Never put valuables in your suitcase; those should always be in your carry on or on your person.

TSA locks are recommended as the TSA have special master keys to unlock these locks and therefore they don't have to cut the lock. Buy your non-TSA locks when flying and see if you don't get to your destination with the "cut" lock taped to the inside of your suitcase.

I recommend you go ahead and lock your suitcase as a deterent if nothing else. Keep in mind if someone really wants into your suitcase there is no lock made that will keep them out.

This can be argued until the cows come home and people won't agree.

I always lock our luggage. It keeps the zipper pulls together (place your zipper pulls at the top or side of the luggage, where the handles are...prevents them from snagging on anything). Add the fact that if there is a thief that is going to look through luggage for valuables they will go for the easy target, the unlocked piece.

But if you're unlucky enough that there is a thief who wants in your luggage, they will get in there lock or not. I hardly think thieves are sophisticated enough to tell the difference between expensive or cheap luggage and they have no idea what is in there until they open it.

I've even started locking my carry on with a TSA lock, ever since mine was taken and gate checked while boarding the plane. So now I put my valuables (jewelry, meds, camera) in my purse. Never again will I spend 5+ hours worrying that my camera and jewelry will be stolen out of an unlocked carry on.

Travel and security experts recommend to never carry variables in your checked luggaged, and to Not lock the luggage.

It takes about 1 second to break into unlocked luggage. It takes about 1.5 seconds to break into locked luggage. The difference is not enough to deter any thief.

However, by locking your luggage, you are putting a big sign that says VALUABLES INSIDE - PLEASE STEAL on your luggage. Thieves only have a few seconds to decide which bags to break into.

They will look for expensive brand name luggage. And they will look for locks. These are the only 2 indicators that they have as to the potential for valuables to be inside.

Unlocked, cheap luggage is the least likely target for getting broken into.

Don't put valuables in your luggage. Don't advertise that you may have valuables by locking luggage, or using expensive brand name luggage.

I agree with the comment about locks deterring the "casual" thief if there is such a thing. All we pack in our luggage is clothing in space bags. It would take a few minutes for someone to open and dig through those to find anything they would want to take. I also lock our suitcases in hotel rooms, not that the person couldn't just take the entire piece of luggage:(. What a world we live in. It just makes me feel more secure to use the TSA locks.

Does anyone know, for certain, if Royal will even check your luggage without you there? The OP was asking about the lock and Royal's policy on locking suitcases in case they need to check.

I've been the naughty room before and they won't open your suitcase without you standing right there. This goes along with every other naughty room story I've read.

Does anyone know if they will go in your suitcase without you there?

Is it-weapon or threat--yes open without the passenger vs Iron, heating pad, booze, xyz...--no passenger must be there?

Archived