to lock or not to lock?

daisy-mae

If you are only using a zip tie (or any lock) to hold the two zipper pulls together so it can't be unzipped, then the zip tie does not have to be cut to open the bag. It only takes a simple ball point pen to pry apart a couple zipper teeth and the thief can unzip your bag. When they're done they just run the two zipper pulls up and down the zipper to rezip the bag (zip tie still in place) and that's it. It's adding a second or two of time compared to just opening an unlocked suitcase.

Again, to each their own. I'll do as I wish with my bags, and you do the same with yours. Quite frankly, I fail to understand why you're so bothered about what OTHERS choose to do with their luggage.

Go to the Cruise Air board and you'll finds lots of others who also use zip ties. If I choose to put zip ties on my bag it has zero impact on you, so why do you care so much?

The OP was asking what others did. I'm sorry that me using zip ties bothers you so much.

Again, to each their own. I'll do as I wish with my bags, and you do the same with yours. Quite frankly, I fail to understand why you're so bothered about what OTHERS choose to do with their luggage.

Go to the Cruise Air board and you'll finds lots of others who also use zip ties. If I choose to put zip ties on my bag it has zero impact on you, so why do you care so much?

The OP was asking what others did. I'm sorry that me using zip ties bothers you so much.

It doesn't bother me at all, I was just curious as to why you said that you know if someone got into your bag because you used a zip tie. For all I know you found a ziptie to go completely around your luggage and that would be a great find for the CC community. You're the one who is getting defensive about your position and choices.

It doesn't bother me at all, I was just curious as to why you said that you know if someone got into your bag because you used a zip tie. For all I know you found a ziptie to go completely around your luggage and that would be a great find for the CC community. You're the one who is getting defensive about your position and choices.

Several other people in this thread made the exact same comment. Perhaps you should have made it a general question instead of quoting only one person.

True, but the good thing on this subject is that it doesn't really matter. Lock . . . don't lock . . . doesn't make much difference. :cool:

But you see, for me it does. My zippers won't easily separate if caught on anything and if there is a thief, they will go for the easy target...the unlocked case.

I don't believe a thief thinks a locked luggage contains more valuables, I really don't think a thief who is low enough in brain power to steal from luggage is very sophisticated at all. They probably don't know the difference between American Tourister and Tumi and I think it's rather stupid to try to steal used clothing.

If a person puts expensive electronics or jewelry in their checked cases, they will learn not to the hard way.

I work in a luggage store, the only theft we hear about is briefcases left in the car. There was a well known case of someone losing their Louis Vuitton luggage...twice...at John Wayne Airport. Then there was the guy in Phoenix who stole hundreds of cases before getting caught. On CC I read about people losing cameras, Ipods and such...from unlocked cases.

We use those as well as the TSA locks, and agree, we'll know if they've been opened or opened for inspection or not. I didn't know they come in neon colors? We only have the clearish colored ones. Did you get them at a specific store (I'm in Canada)?

Thanks!

I bought mine at Home Depot. They came in a tube with other length zip ties.

Archived