Please help my mom

ctrlbrk

I have to agree with the others who think it's not a good idea to send your Mom on a cruise by herself. If she has no one to hang around with most of the time, she may end up feeling even more depressed and isolated, and awkward, seeing all the families and couples going everywhere together and her by herself all the time.

Yes, a social butterfly could meet others and make friends, but if she isn't like that then being thrust into this atmosphere could actually end up making her feel worse.

Just being seated with others at dinner isn't enough, she might luck out and make friends with her tablemates but you can't count on this. She could be plopped into the middle of a group that all knows each other. I'd go with her, or send her with another relative or friend if possible. You'll end up paying for 2 cruisers anyway, and she'll have more fun if there is someone else to spend time with. Your heart is in the right place, obvious you care about her - I'd say go with her. You might have more fun than you think.

Before you 'gift' your mother with a cruise, I would try and talk her into talking with her doctor. There are wonderful drugs out there for individuals with depression and they can make a world of difference in her life. I know, I've been there. Good luck.:):):)

Agree completely.

I have to agree with the others who think it's not a good idea to send your Mom on a cruise by herself. If she has no one to hang around with most of the time, she may end up feeling even more depressed and isolated, and awkward, seeing all the families and couples going everywhere together and her by herself all the time.

Yes, a social butterfly could meet others and make friends, but if she isn't like that then being thrust into this atmosphere could actually end up making her feel worse.

Just being seated with others at dinner isn't enough, she might luck out and make friends with her tablemates but you can't count on this. She could be plopped into the middle of a group that all knows each other. I'd go with her, or send her with another relative or friend if possible. You'll end up paying for 2 cruisers anyway, and she'll have more fun if there is someone else to spend time with. Your heart is in the right place, obvious you care about her - I'd say go with her. You might have more fun than you think.

Agree completely.

Since you asked...I know I gave input in an early post but I did not mention that I was on a cruise with a woman who was sent on a cruise alone by her well intentioned children. She was a dinner mate. She cried throughout every meal and spoke of overboarding herself. If your Mom is truly depressed, clinically or otherwise, a cruise will not cure this. Respectfully, it sounds as though your Mom, or perhaps you and your Mom have other issues. Quality time together on a cruise might be an alternative. Best wishes.

Since you asked...I know I gave input in an early post but I did not mention that I was on a cruise with a woman who was sent on a cruise alone by her well intentioned children. She was a dinner mate. She cried throughout every meal and spoke of overboarding herself. If your Mom is truly depressed, clinically or otherwise, a cruise will not cure this. Respectfully, it sounds as though your Mom, or perhaps you and your Mom have other issues. Quality time together on a cruise might be an alternative. Best wishes.

So very odd that I found this post.... Mu mom also lives in Dallas and is going through s divorce and needs a break.

I purchased 2 plain tickets, 2 cruises, and a night in a hotel for both my mom and I. I have cruised before and she has not. She is so excited now about going on a cruise. I expect she will want to spend a lot of time reading or napping or whatever, so it's not like we will be together 24/7

To the O.P.

You should consider doing the same if you want to do something nice. Don't send her alone. Nothing worse than someone who is depressed than going somewhere (such as a cruise) alone.

Is there a type of music she loves?

A craft, a special interest, a club she is a member of, or a service group?

There are a bunch of theme cruises.

It would be a way she would meet folks and have an easy way to start conversations

Good luck, I think its a wonderful idea to give her such a gift

There are also Mother & daughter cruises along with girlie cruises

If your concern about going on the cruise with her is sharing a cabin, then you could go with her on the NCL Epic. They actually have cabin's for one person and you could have your own cabin and she could have her own cabin.

But like others have said, I REALLY don't think that you should surprise her by buying her a cruise to go on by herself. I think that would be a huge mistake.

If you go on the same cruise, you can participate in different activities, but meet for meals. This is how I handled things with my inlaws and it worked out great. They did their own thing and we did our own thing and we got together at dinner and talked about it.

Archived