Is shopping nearby Mazatlan, Mexico port?

Das Boat

We are going to Mazatlan, Mexico on the Spirit next month and I am concerned about the recent crime there. We have planned on doing a walking tour but now would rather just do some shopping.

Is there a shopping area near the port that is within walking distance from the ship?

Hi, When do you go, we are on the spirit on Feb.11.

Yes there is a nice flea market right at the terminal, you don't have to go anywhere. we have a resort getaway booked, but are concerned too. We have wondered about canceling & just doing the shopping at the pier as well.

We are going to Mazatlan, Mexico on the Spirit next month and I am concerned about the recent crime there. We have planned on doing a walking tour but now would rather just do some shopping.

Is there a shopping area near the port that is within walking distance from the ship?

There is a touristy shopping center inside the gates at the port. It is an industrial shipping port and to reach the beaches, hotels, restaurant and main shopping you would have to take a taxi/ pneumonia there. Or take a ship tour they stop for shopping.

Hi, When do you go, we are on the spirit on Feb.11.

Yes there is a nice flea market right at the terminal, you don't have to go anywhere. we have a resort getaway booked, but are concerned too. We have wondered about canceling & just doing the shopping at the pier as well.

Hello Merinski, We are on the 2-11-2011 spirit cruise. I believe it is the same cruise you are on. We have decided to cancel the walking tour in Mazatlan and shop near the dock. I have heard the prices for goods are the least expensive in Mazatlan compared to our other ports.

Thanks for the information.

Shopping at a popular market is where the man was when he got shot - Not to worry though, as these type of things in the US, Canada & Mexico are rare. Enjoy you cruise - we'll be leaving on the Spirit in Feb too

The Canadian was shot by AK47 in Mazatlan market by stray bullet, where the intended victim was on a motorcycle http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/20110121/canadian-shot-in-mexico110121/ http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Mazatlan+still+safe+Mexican+official+says+after+

There's a nice shopping area/eating places right outside the shop. My husband enjoyed shrimp fajitas in the outdoor eatery. BUT we really enjoyed the local flavor (and better deals) at an authentic market right across from the famous church.

Shopping at a popular market is where the man was when he got shot - Not to worry though, as these type of things in the US, Canada & Mexico are rare. Enjoy you cruise - we'll be leaving on the Spirit in Feb too

The Canadian was shot by AK47 in Mazatlan market by stray bullet, where the intended victim was on a motorcycle http://www.ctv.ca/CTVNews/Canada/20110121/canadian-shot-in-mexico110121/ http://www.vancouversun.com/news/Mazatlan+still+safe+Mexican+official+says+after+

Just to make things clear and do not want to start a controversy. The shootout was done in an area where some tourists do go, but most go to Mega, Walmart, Sams, Soriana and Ley El Mar.

This took place at Ley Mazatlan. Not at the market (mercado). The market is downtown, Ley Mazatlan is farther north.

I just do not understand why we are the only problem, when it is everywhere. I live here in Mazatlan and I am not histerical as so many people are thanks to the media. I have children too, they go on the streets. I am not going to hide. I will go on vacation to a city that has crime. I just use common sense, I do not buy things I am not supposed to buy. If something happens, it is because I was a the wrong place the wrong time.

It is just like the flu that we didnt have 2 years ago. 3 months with no ships, no people at the resorts, no income, it was terrible. The media even scared us for a while.

Anyways, I will just try to survive, economically. Those coming to Mazatlan, have a great time here, those who arent, I am so sorry.

Take care and I wish you all a great year! I hope I have a good one!

Mazatlan Frank

Just to make things clear and do not want to start a controversy. The shootout was done in an area where some tourists do go, but most go to Mega, Walmart, Sams, Soriana and Ley El Mar.

This took place at Ley Mazatlan. Not at the market (mercado). The market is downtown, Ley Mazatlan is farther north.

I just do not understand why we are the only problem, when it is everywhere. I live here in Mazatlan and I am not histerical as so many people are thanks to the media. I have children too, they go on the streets. I am not going to hide. I will go on vacation to a city that has crime. I just use common sense, I do not buy things I am not supposed to buy. If something happens, it is because I was a the wrong place the wrong time.

It is just like the flu that we didnt have 2 years ago. 3 months with no ships, no people at the resorts, no income, it was terrible. The media even scared us for a while.

Anyways, I will just try to survive, economically. Those coming to Mazatlan, have a great time here, those who arent, I am so sorry.

Take care and I wish you all a great year! I hope I have a good one!

Mazatlan Frank

Bummed that the Wonder is not coming to Mazatlan, I was looking forward to booking a tour with you.

Misand

We LOVE Mexico! Were just there in December and going again in April with all of our family. We have never felt unsafe. Bad things can happen anywhere. Look at Tuscon. So are there travel warnings to avoid Arizona now? True travelers will continue to see the world and experience other cultures. I know we will!

Archived