Port Everglades - watching the ships leave

Chester & Brewster

Last year we sailed out of Port Canaveral & enjoyed an early evening drink in Fishlips whilst watching the ships leave port.

This year we're going from Port Everglades & arriving a couple of days early. Is there a similar sort of place near the port where we can the ships depart ?

I've had a look on Google earth etc, but can't see anything similar. Someone tell me where I'm going wrong?

Thanks for your help

Best place is a park (no restaurant) John U Lloyd Park

http://www.floridastateparks.org/lloydbeach/

However...depends on the time of year. If it gets dark early, the park will close 5 - 6.

If you go to view, in the winter months...watch from the 17th St. Causeway Bridge.

J LLoyd Park is good. Also has good lighting for photos but it does get dark around 6pm these days.

unlike many Florida ports, there really is no good viwing of the port entrance at Port Everglades/Ft Lauderdale.

If you check the maps of how to get into John Lloyd park you'll find that it is a significant ride from South Ft Lauderdale due to geography and when you do get there you will find that the choice viewing spots are ..... Government Property and you can't get there (USCG Station and a Navy Facility)

That's the south side. On the north side the port entr' is private homes .... some individual homes (wanna guess what they are worth today?) and some highrise condos. There is a hidden path ... thru the condos ... if you can find parking .... that will get you to a spot of sand on the north side of the channel . . .

On the north side the port entr' is private homes .... some individual homes (wanna guess what they are worth today?) and some highrise condos. There is a hidden path ... thru the condos ... if you can find parking .... that will get you to a spot of sand on the north side of the channel . . .

We drove around those streets a couple weeks ago, and I was thinking to myself "I wonder which house is Inletcam's place?" LOL. Unfortunately, no street parking in there. There is a church just a block in from the inlet that you might be able to park for an hour or so, and walk over to the beach.

Archived