Soda and Water

In June 2009 I took an engine room tour while aboard Liberty of the Seas that was conducted by the Chief Engineer. Part of that tour included a tour of the water distillation and processing plant.

In that plant sea water was flashed to steam by waste engine exhaust heat, passed through a set of distillation units, then passed through a reverse osmosis unit, bubbled through an activated carbon/mineral bed to achieve the desired ph balance and taste, and put into the tanks for use in the ship's potable water system. The potable water system is piped to every faucet in the passenger, crew and kitchen spaces, including the public restrooms.

The Chief Engineer told us that the potable water aboard Liberty of the Seas met or exceeded every published standard for bottled water.

I have since taken engine room tour on Voyager of the Seas and been told the same thing about meeting or exceeding bottled water standards by Voyager's Chief Engineer.

I take a sports bottle and fill it from the sink faucet in my cabin. It tastes just fine - in fact there's no taste at all.

Your mileage may vary.

Why do people keep asking the same questions over and over again?

Just bring the clothing you need for the cruise, including the proper attire for the MDR on formal and informal nights.

All water, soda and alcohol can be purchased on the ship.

Now enjoy your cruise.

People asking the same Qs is a factor of life in ALL travel forums. So get used to it, or just slap yourself every time you see one. Go on, it will make you feel better ;-)

you are right... you only get an iced down glass of soda... which usually is only 1/2 a can... the glasses they give you arent that big... its much nicer to have a can to keep with you...

I prefer a fountain soda and am debating on the soda package. If I don't get the soda package, can I still purchase fountain sodas from the bar? I am assuming so?

Why do people keep asking the same questions over and over again?

Just bring the clothing you need for the cruise, including the proper attire for the MDR on formal and informal nights.

All water, soda and alcohol can be purchased on the ship.

Now enjoy your cruise.

IMHO, there is absolutely no excuse for the rudeness of this response (and the one by marci22, which I will not bother quoting here). As it happens, NOT all soda can be purchased on the ship -- in fact there is a fairly limited selection. But whether that was the case or not, what business is it of yours to essentially respond on this board "go away kid, you bother me"? If you don't want to respond with pertinent information, don't. But spare us your opinion of what is or is not a proper question.

and yet you are still answering it:)

I only answer a very small percentage of the total number of times this question is asked. So I hope everyone found the information useful. Still, someone will ask this question again tomorrow, with the same types of non-answers.

For the amount of money at risk I just don't see the point in asking. Live dangerously.

IMHO, there is absolutely no excuse for the rudeness of this response (and the one by marci22, which I will not bother quoting here). As it happens, NOT all soda can be purchased on the ship -- in fact there is a fairly limited selection. But whether that was the case or not, what business is it of yours to essentially respond on this board "go away kid, you bother me"? If you don't want to respond with pertinent information, don't. But spare us your opinion of what is or is not a proper question.

Strictly your opinion. I might find it rude that people clutter up forums with questions whose answers can easily be found by doing a simple search. It is common courtesy to do a search before posting a question on a forum, so in this case, I think my response is pertinent.

If you're that easily offended, you really don't belong on a message board.

If you are only going to drink a couple of sodas a day, many people her on CC have said it is not worth the price of the soda package. The package is $6 per day of the cruuise plus a 15% gratuity added in when you purchase it. A can of soda from a bar or your in room mini bar is $2.24 (gratuity included). The only way people say you break even is if you drink at least 3 sodas a day. Considering that you get the sodas from the soda package in either the insulated cup they give you with the soda card or in a glss with ice, it may take more like 4 or more sodas to break even daily.

Strictly your opinion. I might find it rude that people clutter up forums with questions whose answers can easily be found by doing a simple search. It is common courtesy to do a search before posting a question on a forum, so in this case, I think my response is pertinent.

Your last sentence is wisest thing you are said. As a new member and first time cruiser, I would be hesitant to post any question because I am sure all of them have been answered before and I am feeling my way around here.

I hope that if I ask a "stupid" question that someone would post a link, like many other experienced members have done, instead of berating me. That being said I appreciate all answers because I have been debating the water smuggle. I am still confused but it is helpful to know if it worked recently instead of a thread from a few years ago.

I only answer a very small percentage of the total number of times this question is asked. So I hope everyone found the information useful. Still, someone will ask this question again tomorrow, with the same types of non-answers.

For the amount of money at risk I just don't see the point in asking. Live dangerously.

Are there any questions on any message board that haven't already been asked? Probably not. I would like someone to point out a thread that has a question that hasn't been asked in the years this site has been around. I would guess that any "new" question has been asked 15 times already. But the reality is things change. What is the answer today might not be the answer tomorrow as policies do change.

The search function doesn't always get what you are looking for. And haven't you ever heard the phrase no question is a dumb question.

I guess you are going to tell us you've made over 6,000 posts and none are repeats.

I guess you are going to tell us you've made over 6,000 posts and none are repeats.

Another point, I have used the so-called 'search' engine and it is a mess. Especially if you are trying to find something common. For example, try to search for RCL drink package. See what comes up...everything RCL everything drink and everything package. I have tried using quotation marks and boolean operators and this does little to fine tune a search. Never mind trying to read 100 messages that do not pertain to your question. It is easier to post and risk angering the grouchy members than wasting an hour and still not finding your answer.

Guess what I do when I see the title 'smuggling booze' or 'chair hogs'. I ignore it. Oh to have the free time in ones day to read and then post on topics that you are tired of reading.

If it offends you so much why don't you skip the topic?

I wish to reply to the ORIGINAL QUESTION. I too found the information somewhat confusing so I emailed RCI and asked. I am quoting the response I received this morning....

"Thank you for your email. We apologize for the delay in our response.

Royal Caribbean International prohibits food or beverages from being brought onboard. However, guests may have one bottle of water as a carry-on while checking in. Guests must have purchased the bottle of water for personal consumption while traveling to the port and be in the process of consuming it."

After 30+ cruises on RCI, I must say that I am disappointed in this (new to me) policy, but then they have every right to whatever policy they choose.

As to all of the ugliness above, why do so many feel that they have a right to make negative comments when someone is simply trying to gain information? I guess I will never understand......

THANK YOU SO MUCH !!!!

I am glad someone helped, you are a true Cruise Critic Member one that is here to participate and help in a positive way :):);)

good for you for asking this question, as i was wondering the same thing myself!!! And thank you for standing up for yourself!

(people on these boards are so critical soemtimes and take things so personally... If you dont want to answer a post on these boards, than dont answer them and dont read them if you dont agree!!!! )

i totally agree with brining soda on the ship... Its annoying when you're thirsty to have to get up, stop what you're doing, leave your cabin and go down to a bar just for a soda.

thank you !!!!! :):);):)

Are there any questions on any message board that haven't already been asked? Probably not. I would like someone to point out a thread that has a question that hasn't been asked in the years this site has been around. I would guess that any "new" question has been asked 15 times already. But the reality is things change. What is the answer today might not be the answer tomorrow as policies do change.

The search function doesn't always get what you are looking for. And haven't you ever heard the phrase no question is a dumb question.

I have to agree with the search function, most always, I do a search first, but sometimes, it depends on what your words are, and may not exactly match up with a previous subject line. And, some threads are a bit dated, so asking for up to date info is helpful. I always put "Oasis" in my subject line as the answers may be different from ship to ship.

A question becomes dumb when the person who replies makes you feel dumb, in which case I tend to ignore it and not waste my time, or reply back and let the person know that bullying won't be tolerated.

For newbies, I think it's natural to have tons of questions!

Basically the answer to the question is generally it will be allowed.

We put a few water bottles in our checked luggage ( for convenience on excursion) and on occasion have been called to the security room as the x-ray picked it up. Once they saw the sealed bottles, we were on our way.

The ship water is fine, but some like a particular brand of water or prefer for some reason not to drink it. I am not a soda drinker so I can’t speak on the difference between a can of soda or soda from a fountain.

Soda and bottled water are readily available from the ship.

RCCL prohibits alcohol or other beverages to be brought on board, but rarely do they enforce the soda/water rule. I have seen security ask passengers to discard opened bottles at initial embarkation, and I had to empty an opened water bottle when returning from Mexico. (I wanted to keep the bottle)

Sorry to rant – but those who want to bring alcohol are SLAMMED as cheap or stealing from the company, but those who bring soda are not. As noted, it is a hassle to get dressed, and go to a bar to get a soda ( or other dink). We would appreciate the convenience of having a bottle of fine wine, or something in our cabin. Luckily most if not all other lines (including Celebrity – which is owned by RC) allow one bottle or so, so it is only a hassle for us when we sail RCCL.

M

Basically the answer to the question is generally it will be allowed.

We put a few water bottles in our checked luggage ( for convenience on excursion) and on occasion have been called to the security room as the x-ray picked it up. Once they saw the sealed bottles, we were on our way.

The ship water is fine, but some like a particular brand of water or prefer for some reason not to drink it. I am not a soda drinker so I can’t speak on the difference between a can of soda or soda from a fountain.

Soda and bottled water are readily available from the ship.

RCCL prohibits alcohol or other beverages to be brought on board, but rarely do they enforce the soda/water rule. I have seen security ask passengers to discard opened bottles at initial embarkation, and I had to empty an opened water bottle when returning from Mexico. (I wanted to keep the bottle)

Sorry to rant – but those who want to bring alcohol are SLAMMED as cheap or stealing from the company, but those who bring soda are not. As noted, it is a hassle to get dressed, and go to a bar to get a soda ( or other dink). We would appreciate the convenience of having a bottle of fine wine, or something in our cabin. Luckily most if not all other lines (including Celebrity – which is owned by RC) allow one bottle or so, so it is only a hassle for us when we sail RCCL.

M

I agree completely that it's not always -- or probably even mostly -- a matter of cost, rather than convenience. When I took my first cruise back in 1996, on Monarch, you could (and we did) buy bottled liquor in the ship's store and take it to your cabin. Our group of ten used to meet in my cabin (I was the only one who had a balcony suite on that cruise) every night before dinner and have a private cocktail party, using liquor we had purchased on board, and for which RCCL thus had received its inflated prices, which we gladly paid for the convenience and pleasure of those evenings. It was a really nice gathering tradition, which you can't do any more since bottled liquor purchased on board is now "held" until your departure.

I totally agree! I usually just read these threads and as you can see I rarely respond but my goodness I have had my fill of people responding with such snotty answers! Just answer the question if you know it and don't be soooo condescending!

• 3 weeks later...

Just an update on this subject...

we took two 12 packs of pop on the cruise with us....

we just carried them on with us, no problems, no questions asked...

DONT put them in your checked luggage you will get called down to the naughty room and stand in a long line... LOL ;)

I only drink water (no soda, juice, etc) and I drink a lot of it. So if I want to bring a case of water onboard (or a few gallon jugs) I should carry it on and not put it in the checked luggage?

Also, if it gets confiscated do they offer filtered water onboard? I plan to bring my big water bottle. If not, how much is bottled water onboard? I seriously drink a LOT of water a day.

Archived