Soda and Water

we purchased two soda cards on our celebrity cruise in march 2009 but found that we really only needed one, i.e. One of us could go up and get a soda and then go back and get another one for the other. Is that the case on rccl? We don't drink a lot of soda but i like to have one in the morning and don't want to pay for two soda cards if we can 'share' one.

i do the same thing with m son. He drinks a ton of sodas, i only have 1 or 2 a day. So he willl just discreetly grab one for me when i want one. I find the kids get them for each other all the time on the ships. Nobody really seems to care i guess unless you are excessive with it.

Just had our water confiscated on the LB....raised a fuss but didn't get it.

According to them (housekeeping, GR, head of GR) it is against policy.

This is the second time I've had it taken so I won't try it again...and I promised John in GR that I wouldn't!!!!

I guess maybe 2 small bottles each in our carryon may be ok...but a case is definitely not.

They said the big problem has been due to people smuggling liquor in empty water bottles....so they have cracked down even tho our water was obviously new bottles........

Not worth the hassle in the future imho

People need to stop slamming anyone asking a question. I didn't read everything but saw the "uber tacky" remark and just had to say, it was unnecessary. I have a few medical problems that cause me to wake in the middle of the night and super early in the mornings. I share a cabin with my daughter. I get up, have a part of a soda and settle back down. It's a routine for me and it helps me not to disturb her. Since they sell Coke products onboard and I drink both Coke and Pepsi, I always bring the Pepsi products onboard, IN ADDITION TO PURCHASING THE SODA PACKAGE. The soda package doesn't entitle me to take a canned drink back to the cabin. I don't have any intention of paying room service to deliver a canned drink in the middle of the night, wait for them to deliver it, knock on the door, etc. I also think it's cheating me to insist I get it out of the mini-fridge when I have purchased a soda card and don't drink 2+ sodas per day. I don't feel the least bit guilty about bringing a few sodas onboard. It's been debated to death. RCCL's policy prohibits it but they will, in all probability allow the sodas. The water has become a casualty of the alcohol smugglers filling a water bottle with vodka or rum, which I will leave alone. Have a great cruise.

People need to stop slamming anyone asking a question. I didn't read everything but saw the "uber tacky" remark and just had to say, it was unnecessary. I have a few medical problems that cause me to wake in the middle of the night and super early in the mornings. I share a cabin with my daughter. I get up, have a part of a soda and settle back down. It's a routine for me and it helps me not to disturb her. Since they sell Coke products onboard and I drink both Coke and Pepsi, I always bring the Pepsi products onboard, IN ADDITION TO PURCHASING THE SODA PACKAGE. The soda package doesn't entitle me to take a canned drink back to the cabin. I don't have any intention of paying room service to deliver a canned drink in the middle of the night, wait for them to deliver it, knock on the door, etc. I also think it's cheating me to insist I get it out of the mini-fridge when I have purchased a soda card and don't drink 2+ sodas per day. I don't feel the least bit guilty about bringing a few sodas onboard. It's been debated to death. RCCL's policy prohibits it but they will, in all probability allow the sodas. The water has become a casualty of the alcohol smugglers filling a water bottle with vodka or rum, which I will leave alone. Have a great cruise.

We were told if you need the water for a medical condition (like needing to drink excess water) and you have a letter from a dr that they will allow it.........

Got to say agree with most said on here. Not the info re soda (or pop as we call it in Britain) but why do people slag other people off for asking questions? I am new to cruising and all that goes with it and love reading all the posts on cruise critic but have been amazed at the vitriol expressed by some posters. I thought it was a cultural thing as lot's of American posters but found just as offensive British posts. Please forgive me (and anyone else) who repeats a question which appears on another thread. it is not deliberate and very often because so much info unable to find exactly what we need. I look forward to my cruise and hope the Mr and Mrs Angry on here have chilled when I meet them on board ship. Happy Sailing x

I was told no by RCC, but fully intend to try to bring a few sodas onboard. DH likes Jones soda & I like REAL ginger beer (nonalcoholic)...so we will buy a 6 pack or so apiece and slap some luggage tags on them. If they don't make it to the room, we'll be out a couple of bucks..and if they do, well, we'll have our favorite drinks without going to the bar :D

Please be aware that if you put water or soda in your luggage it will be taken from you....

YOU CAN carry it on with you... we did on 2/10/11 with no problems, we saw people carrying on soda and large quantities of bottled watter.. :)

NO Problem to carry it on, Problem to check it !!!!!!!

you are right... you only get an iced down glass of soda... which usually is only 1/2 a can... the glasses they give you arent that big... its much nicer to have a can to keep with you...

This has not been my experience. I have never had a problem getting the servier to pour the drink with limited or no ice. The size of the glass varies. I have been served in the six [or so] ounce stemmed bar glasses and in 12 oz. tumblers. Although as other have said, you don't have to use the souvenir glass they give you and I usually do not, it holds 20 oz, so sometimes I do use it, if I want more in the glass. I have also heard [but have not tried myself] that they will fill your personal container. As to the other question, I do not know if they will sell individual servings from the fountain. I have never seen it done, but I have never asked either.

I have never had a problem of any sort with using the soda package [and since I do not drink alcohol [well almost never], I always get one] until our recent cruise on Jewel - everyone's [but mine] favorite cruise ship. On that cruise, on at least 2 ocassions the server took my order and never returned with the drinks. Since I never had this happen before, I didn't pay attention to the server's name so really could not complain. Frankly that was consistent with the overall level of service on Jewel in my experience.

I recognize the frustration of some with the inconsistent responses to this question. But they are going to be inconsistent because the truth is, sometimes you can sometimes you can't. The official policy is that you can't. If it bothers you to violate the policy, then that's your answer. If you don't mind a little rule evasion, then the truth is you might get away with it and you might not.

I am a Mountain Dew drinker and since only Coca Cola products are sold on the ship I pack 7-8 plastic twelve ounce bottles in my suitcase. Have never had a problem, I have also brought a few (4-5) cans back onboard with me at the ports -of-call. Once again never been a problem. I can see a large amount bringing onboard being a problem but have seen people carry on 24 packs of canned soda and cases of water. I personally like the ships water and drink that with no problem. My hubby used to buy the bottled Evian water on board until our last cruise when i explained how clean the ships water is. He just kept refilling his empty water bottle with ship water and was surprised at the quality of the water. Overall I think as long as it is a reasonable amount it shouldn't be a problem.

This is our first cruise ever and We are going on the Freedom in June for a 7 day cruise. I have seen sooo many posts about this drinks being brought on board. I know it says its not supposed to be allowed.

My daughter is a heavy water and gatorade drinker, especially with sports. She has been recommended by to drink gatorade and extra water with exercise due to medical issues with physical activity and medication she is on. (I am thinking a cruise ship in the middle of summer will qualify as being physical).

We are buying the family soda packages and we plan to bring a water bottle to refill on with us for her.

But I am guessing if we have a backpack with 7 gatorades for her, that's 1 per day it will make it to our cabin if we check it. Or should we carry it on? I don't know which would be better to do.

Any insight? Thanks in advance

I would prefer the cruise lines to include the price of most non-alcoholic drinks in the base price such as for meals, possibly a drink dispenser by the pool area and a bottle of water per passenger in your cabin per day. But I suppose we are in a time when it is best for a business to quote a low base price and then try to get their customers to pay for a lot of extras. From what I have been reading on some of these threads for our upcoming June cruise, my plan is as follows: the majority consenus is that the water on the ship is fine, so I will bring a bottle or mug for all of us and use the ship's water (will save me the hassle of lugging around a case or 12 pack of water); I do like having drinks in the cabin room without having to go out of the room to get it or call room service, so I will bring some single packet mixes for ice tea, gatorade and kool aid (I would assume these are against the RCI policy, but would seem difficult to enforce because of the small size of the packets); and, may or may not try to bring a 12 pack of soda on board depending on the RCI's enforcement at the time we cruise.

This is our first cruise ever and We are going on the Freedom in June for a 7 day cruise. I have seen sooo many posts about this drinks being brought on board. I know it says its not supposed to be allowed.

My daughter is a heavy water and gatorade drinker, especially with sports. She has been recommended by to drink gatorade and extra water with exercise due to medical issues with physical activity and medication she is on. (I am thinking a cruise ship in the middle of summer will qualify as being physical).

We are buying the family soda packages and we plan to bring a water bottle to refill on with us for her.

But I am guessing if we have a backpack with 7 gatorades for her, that's 1 per day it will make it to our cabin if we check it. Or should we carry it on? I don't know which would be better to do.

Any insight? Thanks in advance

We have taken water and soda on in Port Canaveral with no problems, both checked and in carryons. However, others have had it confiscated in the same port.

I would wait and read posts closer to your cruise date. If Port Canaveral is being strict, then I would get a letter from the child's pediatrician. You will have no issues if you have a letter saying it is medically necessary. Either way, I would put the gatorade in a parents carryon. If you are stopped at security, explain that your child has medical issues and needs a gatorade a day. They will let you bring it on. I wouldn't want to waste the time being called to the naughty room.

We have taken water and soda on in Port Canaveral with no problems, both checked and in carryons. However, others have had it confiscated in the same port.

I would wait and read posts closer to your cruise date. If Port Canaveral is being strict, then I would get a letter from the child's pediatrician. You will have no issues if you have a letter saying it is medically necessary. Either way, I would put the gatorade in a parents carryon. If you are stopped at security, explain that your child has medical issues and needs a gatorade a day. They will let you bring it on. I wouldn't want to waste the time being called to the naughty room.

Good idea with the letter....its really not medically necessary, but recommended.....still might be worth bringing the letter. Thanks for the idea. the more activity she does the more she feels bad with activity and feels faint.

Good idea with the letter....its really not medically necessary, but recommended.....still might be worth bringing the letter. Thanks for the idea. the more activity she does the more she feels bad with activity and feels faint.

I meant to add the reason why I said have a parent carry the gatorade. We stayed in Cocoa Beach a few days before our cruise and had a few gatorades and cans of soda left over so we threw them into our carryons, spreading out the weight between the three of us. My DH and I went through the scanner, no questions asked. My son, 16 yrs old at the time, was stopped. He had to show them what he had and that it was unopened and then was let through. Wasn't a big deal but just slowed the line down a bit as they pulled him to the side.

Hey, I thought you meet the most interesting people in the naughty room line!

Bill

Yes – and we all already have something in common. Either we like a good drink or we care about nicely pressed clothes. Hint – I prefer to have a really great glass of wine in my wrinkled slacks!

See you there about 6:00pm!

M

• 2 weeks later...
you are right... you only get an iced down glass of soda... which usually is only 1/2 a can... the glasses they give you arent that big... its much nicer to have a can to keep with you...

Would you happen to know if I can bring a (very large) plastic cup from home and ask them to refill that? The cups by the pool are tiny, even wthout ice, and I am an all-day-long soda drinker!

Thanks-

Linda

Archived