Leaving from Civiettecca port...where do you stay the night before?

AutumnMist

Our party of five will begin our cruise from Civiettecca. We will be flying in the day before to different airports in Rome and we're looking for a no frills place to stay the night before we leave for the cruise. We are wanting a handy place, such as close to a train station, that will take us to the port the next morning.

Thank you in advance.

We stayed at the Hotel Traiano in Civitavecchia the night before our Legend of the Seas cruise in Nov/07. Service was good and room rate, which was reasonable, included breakfast and shuttle to the port which was 5 to 10 minutes away. There were many pre and post cruise passengers staying there. You can arrange for the hotel shuttle to pick you up at Rome's airport. We paid an extra 20 Euros for a two airport pickup on same trip as we flew into DaVinci-Fiumicino and friends into Ciampino.

http://www.hoteltraiano.com/ing/index.php

If you've never been to Rome before, do go to the Central city and experience as much as you can.

Try one of the hotels near the Termini train station.

Of course, if you've been to Rome before and your only interest is getting to the ship, then by all means stay in Civitavecchia.

Kind regards,

Gunther and Uta

Our party of five will begin our cruise from Civiettecca. We will be flying in the day before to different airports in Rome and we're looking for a no frills place to stay the night before we leave for the cruise. We are wanting a handy place, such as close to a train station, that will take us to the port the next morning.

Thank you in advance.

We have stayed in several places, but the best by far for the money was the Hotel Canada Best Western. It is within walking distance from the hotel, is very nice, and includes a great breakfast. It is also one of the top hotels in trip advisor.

We also stayed at Hotel Canada - within easy walking distance of Roma Termini station (although be aware the train to Civitivecchia leaves from a platform a long way past the main platforms).

Try not to get to the station in plenty of time, hang around and get something to eat (not realising how long the platforms are), then have to run down the platform with 4 cases and have to leave the drinks you've just bought because you cant manage with them too, to only just get on the train because I delayed it slightly by standing half on the platform and half on the train so they couldn't close the doors until my other half got there about a minute later. :o

Gunther,

We are planning on seeing Rome after the cruise--we've booked rooms near the Termini station and already have our tour guides reserved.

I do have an unrelated question. You wrote on an earlier post that you are currently living in Spain, and right now cruise prices are cheaper when getting them through a European travel agent. Did I understand that correctly? If so, we are currently living in Belgium and went through a US travel agency...did you use a travel agent within Spain or is it a European wide company? I had never used a travel agent before booking this cruise--never thought I needed one, I guess!

Thank you for any input as well as for your posts. They have been helpful to this newbie cruiser.

We stayed at the Hotel Romantica on Via Principe Amedeo. It was a very good 2 star hotel with a big room and a modern bathroom. It's 2 blocks from Termini. We took the train to Civitavecchia in the morning.

One tip, unless you have restricted mobility or a huge amount of luggage, Civitavecchia's train station is within easy walking distance to the port entrance. You don't need to pay for a taxi. Taxi drivers in Civitavecchia have a very inflated opinion of their worth. Just turn right as you leave the station it's 2 or 3 blocks. You can't miss it.

We also stayed at the Traiano and would highly recommend it. We walked from the station, which was a bit of a hike, dragging our cases, as there are very few taxis in Civitavecchia. The free shuttle to the port is a great bonus, although make sure that you book your slot as they can only take a few people at a time. We ended up with the earliest slot and had to sit in the port for over an hour until they started boarding - however, we were first on the ship, which the kids thought was really cool :D

Archived