Chef's Table Gratuity

John&John

As someone stated earlier: The site that says the tip is included is a UK Carnival site, NOT the US site. John Heald will be the first to admit that UK people are the worlds worst tippers, so maybe that is why it said that for UK persons in 2010.

ALL info in the US, ie Carnival sources, Mach, etc., say not included. If you have doubt, then do the simplest things possible:

1. Ask your server or the chef when you go to the Dinner.

2. Don't sign up for it if you are scared to under or over tip

3. Cancel the reservation you currently have

This is a voluntary function, it is NOT mandatory for you to sign up for it. If you don't like a part of it, or how it is run, or the confusion in it, don't support it. That will cause action faster than anything!

I know that when I go, I'm gonna eat like a pig, drink like a wino, have a blast, and not give a flying crap whether the tip is included or not, but I'm gonna let them know how much I appreciate them for what they are doing, based on how they treat me.

Life is only as complicated as you make it...

I guess you, in my eyes, have made the best point about tipping at chef's Table. The experience was unbelevable, the service was impeccable, and the food amazing. In retrospect, worth every dollar we spent. Thank you for a new perspective!

Pat

LOL. Gratuity is included for residents of the UK? LOL.

A search for chef's table from the Carnival (US) home page returns the following as a first result:

Onboard with Carnival

May 14, 2010 ... Chef's Table - $75 FEE (including wine and gratuity) ... The Chef's Table is already available on Carnival Dream, Liberty, Pride, Ecstasy, ...

http://www.carnival.com/cms/Images/ccluk/Onboard_12_May_2010.html

Without reading the entire newsletter (or at least scrolling to the bottom) one wouldn't know that it was a document aimed to the UK.

As someone stated earlier: The site that says the tip is included is a UK Carnival site, NOT the US site. John Heald will be the first to admit that UK people are the worlds worst tippers, so maybe that is why it said that for UK persons in 2010.

ALL info in the US, ie Carnival sources, Mach, etc., say not included. If you have doubt, then do the simplest things possible:

1. Ask your server or the chef when you go to the Dinner.

2. Don't sign up for it if you are scared to under or over tip

3. Cancel the reservation you currently have

This is a voluntary function, it is NOT mandatory for you to sign up for it. If you don't like a part of it, or how it is run, or the confusion in it, don't support it. That will cause action faster than anything!

I know that when I go, I'm gonna eat like a pig, drink like a wino, have a blast, and not give a flying crap whether the tip is included or not, but I'm gonna let them know how much I appreciate them for what they are doing, based on how they treat me.

Life is only as complicated as you make it...

LOL. Gratuity is included for residents of the UK? LOL.

A search for chef's table from the Carnival (US) home page returns the following as a first result:

Onboard with Carnival

May 14, 2010 ... Chef's Table - $75 FEE (including wine and gratuity) ... The Chef's Table is already available on Carnival Dream, Liberty, Pride, Ecstasy, ...

www.carnival.com/cms/Images/ccluk/Onboard_12_May_2010.html

Without reading the entire newsletter (or at least scrolling to the bottom) one wouldn't know that it was a document aimed to the UK.

I knew this wasn't a site pertaining to me when near the top I saw this:

Call us on 0845 351 0546 or click on the member of the team below to send an e-mail!

ok, so I now have to reconcile my feelings about this all....read this thread with <<<SHOCK>>> and <<<DISMAY>>> because I enjoyed a Chef's Table this past December for the first time....plan to do as many as are available on any sailing I do in the future

.....and we had the amazing experience that of course it is....but I'd also understood the gratuity was included from previous research and I am not especially a "duh" individual (but I can be LOL).....and I am not happy with the thought that a tip was not included......and we did not tip....and for that I am very sorry....apology in thought and feelings only I know....but still I'm sorry

OK... so I asked John about this last night and he did some additional research and sent me this:

Hello mate

Here is the official word

It is same as the steakhouse . It is included but we have an additional line for Optional gratuity which mean if guests want to leave extra they can

Cheers

Perhaps it was easier to change the policy than to change the website...

:rolleyes:

OK... so I asked John about this last night and he did some additional research and sent me this:

Hello mate

It is same as the steakhouse . It is included but we have an additional line for Optional gratuity which mean if guests want to leave extra they can

Cheers

It would be nice if we could be told how much the grat. is-that would make it easier to determine how much extra we would like to leave.

Pat

Hmmm, we did CT on Conquest last week and we specifically asked the servers whether the gratuity was included. The answer was "no".

Of course if I was the server I would have said no also.:D

But it was totally worth the extra 15% I left.

Already booked it for my cruise in Sept.

Hmmm, we did CT on Conquest last week and we specifically asked the servers whether the gratuity was included. The answer was "no".

Of course if I was the server I would have said no also.:D

But it was totally worth the extra 15% I left.

Already booked it for my cruise in Sept.

Hey, if we're confused you know some Carnival people are as well. :rolleyes:

Sue Carnival for not making it clear, and demand at least 3 free cruises with free Chef's Table!!! LOL

(Someone probably already has...)

It is advertised on their site to everyone in the U.S. LOUD and CLEAR with no mention of it only pertaining to the UK:rolleyes:

Let's hope not! :eek:

Just to add to the confusion level a bit... I dug through thousands of emails (the search function in my Cruise Critic email won't produce anything more recent than July 7, 2010...) and I found this from Sanjay in response to the question of the Chef's Table and gratuities...

Hi john,

We have never included the gratuity in the price of chefs table.

It has always been optional..

Hope this helps.

Regards

Sanjay Dhall

Sanjay owns the Chef's Table program at Carnival. In fact, he's the Vice President of Food and Beverage. I sent this response along to John. I hope it doesn't muddy the waters further...

John tells me he's going to address this on Monday's blog so stay tuned.

:confused:

I will always tip extra, whether or not it says that gratuity is included.

I received an exceptional meal and exceptional service (from a wait staff) at Chef's Table on the Spirit, and it did not put me in the poor house to extend an additional $20 for that service. I'm sure it put a smile on a server's face that may not have been expecting it. That makes me happier than wondering if gratuity is or is not included.

I really don't care if it is included or not! The only time I will not tip, is if it specifically states, No tips allowed or expected. I have been to salons that DO have that posted.

Hello mate

Cheers

LOL, Mach! I agree. Working in government or a large corporation, I bet it is easier to change policy!!!

I know I'll still leave more, though!

I will always tip extra, whether or not it says that gratuity is included....

I really don't care if it is included or not! The only time I will not tip, is if it specifically states, No tips allowed or expected. I have been to salons that DO have that posted.

Nobody is suggesting that you don't tip. If you want to tip twice- go for it. But recognize that, if the tip is included, you are tipping twice. Like at a restaurant with a lot of people- they often tell you that they are including a tip (around here 18-20%). You want to tip more- they will leave a line for you. Of course, they do that in the hopes that you might not realize that the tip is included, and if you ask, some waiters will say no- of course not. And yes, I usually leave some extra- but it is some and it is extra. I certainly wouldn't leave an additional 20%- I feel that 35-40% tips are uncalled for.

Mach- this is now about as clear as mud. Surely someone must actually know if it is included or not. Although it is beginning to sound like maybe not.:(

Nobody is suggesting that you don't tip. If you want to tip twice- go for it. But recognize that, if the tip is included, you are tipping twice. Like at a restaurant with a lot of people- they often tell you that they are including a tip (around here 18-20%). You want to tip more- they will leave a line for you. Of course, they do that in the hopes that you might not realize that the tip is included, and if you ask, some waiters will say no- of course not.

Mach- this is now about as clear as mud. Surely someone must actually know if it is included or not. Although it is beginning to sound like maybe not.:(

I believe he got confirmation and posted that the gratuity IS included in the price, just like it states on their website, and you (obviously) have an option to leave more.

I believe he got confirmation and posted that the gratuity IS included in the price, just like it states on their website, and you (obviously) have an option to leave more.

But then just above found another email that says no- never.

I wonder who takes care of divying out the money? Maybe they know. Would not be entirely surprised to learn that on some ships the tip is taken and given out, and on some ships it all goes to the program and no tips given out.

Archived