Chef's Table Gratuity

John&John

$70 for 3 people-is that HUGE enough for you? I had bought my friend's dinner as a birthday present and had left $50 for the 3 of us and she added another $20 cause she was so thrilled with the whole experience. If that was on top of an added gratuity-That's HUGE!;)

Pat

That's a generous tip. We did $25 pp as well because the service was outstanding.

Sanjay, who is the chef who brought the program to Carnival, told me that the gratuity has never been included in the $75 on Carnival.

The folks who do the website are aware of the error but have not gotten around to changing the text.

He told us the same thing Mach.

This all just serves to make my point. It's NOT that I don't want to tip - far from it. It's that I think I have a right to know what percentage of that $75 goes to the waitstaff, so I can make an informed decision on whether or not to tip extra. Yes, I know it will be an exceptional meal, and yes, I plan on enjoying it, and thanking the waitstaff in practical, foldable terms. But I'm not Lady Bountiful, nor do I intend to tip much in excess of 20% unless someone performs the Heimlich manuver on me or carries me around the table on their shoulders, singing the Ohio State fight song.

If the gratuity is included, and lets say Carnival gives the servers $10 of that, then the meal cost was $65, and the correct tip for that is $13 (if you tip 20% - I'm sure Carnival pays out gratuities at a more reasonable rate, like 15% or 18%). Will I add a fiver? Yes, more than likely. But I've read where people drop $20 on the table, or more. Will the servers smile and shake your hand if you do that? Of course, who doesn't like a heavy tipper? But I want to have the well informed CHOICE to tip heavily. Don't know if I will or if I won't, but I don't want to be tricked into it - tell me the truth, and trust that I'll do right by the staff.

I really appreciate everyones input on this topic, and appreciate the almost 100% civil tone of the discussion. I look forward to reading John's blog post!

happy sails,

KC

Nope, and they won't release that information. I don't really think it's very critical...

:)

It is if you want to know how much to add to the gratuity to make it 20%. It's my money - why should I not know how much of it is going to the server?

KC

It is if you want to know how much to add to the gratuity to make it 20%. It's my money - why should I not know how much of it is going to the server?

KC

I can only tell you what I know. Folks have asked in the past and the response has been that it's a 'minimal' gratuity. I can tell you that you won't get an answer more specific than that here or much of anyplace else I know of...

I can only tell you what I know. Folks have asked in the past and the response has been that it's a 'minimal' gratuity. I can tell you that you won't get an answer more specific than that here or much of anyplace else I know of...

I appreciate your sharing what you DO know. It's actually pretty sad to me that there's so much conflicting information coming out of official Carnival channels about this. The VP who runs the program tells you the gratuity isn't included, the website says it is, John Heald is told it's always been included - the lack of a consistent answer just says to me that someone is trying to rope customers into tipping more than they should. I don't mind, as I have said before, tipping well for services I receive - what I mind, very much, is being taken for a fool.

Sigh. I hope John can shed some light on his blog for us all.

Cheers,

KC (who really is a very nice person who loves to have a good time, but tends towards the analytical and descriptive a bit much at times)

We did the CT on the Dream. I believe Sanjay was the Chef for that meal. I don't remember if anything was mentioned regarding tipping but, for whatever reason, I assumed a gratuity was included in the $75 fee. We did tip an additional amount, I think $20 for the two of us.

I do remember him introducing our servers as assistant chefs and chefs in training, they wore the white jackets with blue scarves which identified them as such. The fellow who filled the wine and water glasses for the whole table was a server and dressed in the gold & black vest that the servers in the dining room wear.

Upon paying the $75/pp fee, is there a grautity line? Or since the MDR servers are involved, the normal tips already included ($10/pp/pday) we just figure its covered?

In the Steakhouse, your receipt is presented with a line for a gratuity..might be the same with the Table.

In the Steakhouse' date=' your receipt is presented with a line for a gratuity..might be the same with the Table.[/quote']

Thanks G'ma. Yea thats what Mach was saying too. Seems like so far, based on this thread (at least my take on it) is that you can tip more if you want..just like in the steakhouse. Im going with that until there is some other official notice from Carnival stating otherwise.

Not just that, but if they aren't "servers" and are indeed "chefs" then their pay isn't going to be dependent on tips as "servers" are.

Make sense?

Personally, No gratuity is or should be based on "need"....that's a subjective action. Nobody knows who makes what on a vessel, for sure.

A gratuity is for service provided, not economical considerations.

No it is not a rumor...

Chef’s Table - $75 FEE (including wine and gratuity)

This unique culinary experience is now available for groups of 12 guests. It includes cocktails and hors d’ouevres as well as a personalized tour of the galley in operation, followed by a multi-course full-service dinner created by our master chefs – all hosted by the ship’s chef de cuisine. The dinner takes place in non-traditional dining venues – such as the galley, library and conference centre -- which will vary by ship. Reservations can be made onboard through the Guest Services desk and the fee is $75 per person (including wine and gratuity.)

The Chef’s Table is already available on Carnival Dream, Liberty, Pride, Ecstasy, Sensation, Imagination, Fascination and Inspiration!

http://www.carnival.com/cms/Images/ccluk/Onboard_12_May_2010.html

If you want to see how rumors get started...go to the Carnival and Mexico thread.

This is not the Carnival website. It is a newsletter put out in the UK only and is almost 3 years old......

Oy- so it is according to Carnival, and not according to the "owner" of the program. somebody needs to get this straightened out and the website needs to be the final say- not everyone spends time on CC. And frankly it never occurred to me that the program might be "owned" by someone other than Carnival. What does that mean?

I've not seen anything posted on Carnival's website. The only thing on here is a publication from the UK....a newsletter publish over there..that's almost 3 years old..

Host Mach has the information from the horses mouth..the one who RUNS the program.....

Can't get better answers than that...

Maybe you can find out exactly how they justify the $75 fee over and above what customers already pay for in their cruise fare if it does not include gratuity.

I understand Princess' fee includes gratuity and it is also $75.

Oh, brother.

1.Carnival doesn't need to justify anything. Your choice is to go and pay or not. No business is required to justiy what they charge....

2. This is not Princess. Each brand runs it's own programs independent from each other.

Isn't the service charge included in the cover charge on basicly all speciality restaurants on all cruise ships? Sounds stange if it wouldn't be included here. I mean, $75??

It's not included as Mach has posted oveer and over again here from the highest authority.....the person who runs the program.

As with any business, they can charge what they wish and develop a program they way they wish.

Nobody is forced to buy it...

It's not the cost I'm questioning, I want to be clear about that - $75 is a bargain in anyone's book for what the Chef's Table offers. What I'm wanting clarity on is whether or not the gratuity is included. Period.

If it IS, I don't want to be shook down, misinformed, or guilted into an additional 20%. If it IS, I want to know what percentage the servers receive. If it IS, I want to be able to make an intelligent, well informed decision about what, if any, I will tip on top of the already paid gratuity.

If it is NOT, then I want that information, too, so I can make an informed decision on what I would like to tip. If it is NOT, then I want to know if the servers are, in face, chefs or cooks from the kitchen, because if they are, then tipping them is wholly incorrect. If they are servers who ordinarily work in the guest dining rooms, then tipping them is appropriate. If they are servers who ordinarily work in the staff dining rooms or officers mess, I'm not sure, because that's where new servers train, and I don't know if they are paid in the same way during training as the servers on the floor. I think I have a right to this information.

If this seems all too specific, please know that I was a server myself for many years, and try to ALWAYS tip correctly, appropriate to the specific situation I find myself in. I just want the bottom line, the skinny, the details and the truth, so I can make MY OWN decisions about MY OWN money.

Thanks, and I await, with eagerness, actual details about how all this works.

KC

Again, Mach has posted over and over again here. Tips are NOT included. That information is confirmed by the one running the program.

I knew this wasn't a site pertaining to me when near the top I saw this:

Call us on 0845 351 0546 or click on the member of the team below to send an e-mail!

I picked up on it immediatly when I noticed the volume number, realizing it is NOT from Carnival's website but is some sort of newsletter...confirming as I read it.....

I appreciate your sharing what you DO know. It's actually pretty sad to me that there's so much conflicting information coming out of official Carnival channels about this. The VP who runs the program tells you the gratuity isn't included, the website says it is, John Heald is told it's always been included - the lack of a consistent answer just says to me that someone is trying to rope customers into tipping more than they should. I don't mind, as I have said before, tipping well for services I receive - what I mind, very much, is being taken for a fool.

Sigh. I hope John can shed some light on his blog for us all.

Cheers,

KC (who really is a very nice person who loves to have a good time, but tends towards the analytical and descriptive a bit much at times)

Honestly, so many here really think that Carnival is conspiring against them to get more money. If a port is cancelled and a day at sea instead? There is no reason for it. Carnival just wants you to spend more money on the ship. They won't give you the upgrade you think you deserve? Carnival is playing the old "bait and switch). Can't get OBC when, clearly, the rate has lowered and your ES rate says you can get it? Bait and switch again, or some other conspiracy theory.

It's a wonder the paranoia permits them to cruise at alll....

In the Steakhouse' date=' your receipt is presented with a line for a gratuity..might be the same with the Table.[/quote']

There is a gratuity line on the receipt just like the Steakhouse. (per John H)

G'ma - see you're closing in on 10,000 posts...

Thanks G'ma. Yea thats what Mach was saying too. Seems like so far, based on this thread (at least my take on it) is that you can tip more if you want..just like in the steakhouse. Im going with that until there is some other official notice from Carnival stating otherwise.

Smart move. You could drive yourself nuts reading these posts, for sure. I'll wait for an "offical" notice.

Whatever it is, it's not going to stop me from either. I always leave additional tip anyway....also for cabin stewards and waiters.....

It's not included as Mach has posted oveer and over again here from the highest authority.....the person who runs the program.

As with any business' date=' they can charge what they wish and develop a program they way they wish.

Nobody is forced to buy it...[/quote']

Sorry, but the person who runs the program does not have the highest authority. That would be Mr. Cahill.

Archived