When Should One Buy Insurance?

cleobella

I am wondering when is a good time to buy insurance. We usually get just cancellation insurance and we tend to buy it when we book our trip-often months in advance. Now I'm wondering why we tie up our money so far ahead-does it make more sense to buy insurance closer to the departure date? Is it more expensive to do this?

There are many threads discussing this on this board. It depends what you want to cover. I am interested in covering any pre-existing conditions, and being able to get cancellation insurance. I purchase trip insurance through Travelguard, and to get this coverage, we have to buy insurance within 15 days of the initial trip deposit. Trip insurance is relatively inexpensive, and IMO, well worth the cost.

Just finished paying balance (90 days out) on Princess cruise and had to purchase insurance at that time (not when we made deposit).

Although it tends to be expensive, cruise cancellation can be more so. In May, '09, we had to cancel an Alaska cruise one week in advance of sail date due to father-in-law's death. Was sure glad we had cruise and flight insurance.

Archived