FLL Car Rental

helovestrains

After we disembark at Port Everglades we will want to rent a vehicle as we will be vacationing for a few days. I understand there are car rental places at Port Everglades. The rental car websites say Port Everglades Cruise Pick Up only. Does this mean you only pick the car up at Port Everglades and return it somewhere else or do you return the car to Port Everglades and then are responsible for getting ourselves to the airport. Usually there is a cost to drop off other than where you picked up the vehicle. Any ideas? thanks.

After we disembark at Port Everglades we will want to rent a vehicle as we will be vacationing for a few days. I understand there are car rental places at Port Everglades. The rental car websites say Port Everglades Cruise Pick Up only. Does this mean you only pick the car up at Port Everglades and return it somewhere else or do you return the car to Port Everglades and then are responsible for getting ourselves to the airport. Usually there is a cost to drop off other than where you picked up the vehicle. Any ideas? thanks.

From what I understand ... there is one common Rental Car Center at the FLL airport (building on left as entering airport) and a free Rental Car Center Bus takes customers from the port to the center for car pick-up. Once at the center building (2nd level) follow signage to various rentals car agencies (for us National Car is one level down by elevator). Cars are returned to the airport RCC center. There may be some nearby hotels that offer rental car facilities - you would need to check out by car company as to availability & pick-up arrangements. Also - do a CC site search .. lots of info available. And - as an option - you can Taxi to the RCC. That's what we plan to do. Hope this info helps. SeaFish

There are no car rental offices IN Port Everglades - there is the shuttle to the airport, not sure if all agencies participate in that shuttle cost. You'll have to check.

What we do is cab to the Budget office in the Quay Shopping Center, on 17 St Causeway, pick up your car and it can be returned to the Airport when you are done. Just make sure they know that in your reservation.

Thrifty has an off-port location, double check if they still do.

M.A.

Info I have seen on here indicates that Alamo and National are the only ones at the airport who participate in the free bus from Port Everglades to the airport rental center. When we were there a few weeks ago, the bus sign alternated "Port Everglades" and "Alamo/National", but I didn't ask the driver what the other companies did for shuttles. He did ask to see our proof of Alamo rental when we boarded (last time we took this bus, the driver didn't ask).

I wouldn't bother taking the free bus from the port to the airport to pick up a car, as it goes from terminal to terminal, sitting for a few minutes at each. Taxi fare to the airport is only $15 or so with tip. In addition to Budget mentioned above, other rental locations near the port are Thrifty, right outside the port gate on SE 24th St, Enterprise is on the same street down the road a ways, and I beleive Hertz has a rental counter at the Crowne Plaza, also on 24th.

There is a free shuttle that will take you from the Port to the rental car center at FLL airport (or take a taxi). Most agencies will not charge a 'drop fee' as long as you are dropping in in a major centre in Florida. I've done it before flying into Miami, rented a car, dropped it off at the Miami port, and other times dropping in FLL and even had them drive us to the FL port.

For more info on the FLL RCC check out the airport website:

http://www.broward.org/Airport/Transportation/Pages/RentalCars.aspx

There is a list of the agencies that are located at the airport and you should probably contact the agency directing to find out what works best for your circumstances.

I just booked a car with Thrifty. They are at 2400 Miami Rd (about 2 miles from the pier). They have a free shuttle service to pick us up and we've arranged (at no extra charge) to return the car to the Ft Lauderdale airport after our rental.

Hertz no longer offers shuttles from FLL airport, however you can rent from them at the Car Rental Center at FLL and return it to their "Port Everglade" office at the Crowne Plaza Hotel, 455 SE 24th St., at no extra cost, and they operate a shuttle to the port every 20 min.

Just returned from FLL last week and the shuttle bus driver asked for paperwork to prove you rented from Alamo or National. Several disgruntled people were not allowed on the shuttle as they had NO proof..

What about from the Pier to the Rental Center, is there a clear marked sign for the shuttle?

I would suggest spending some time looking at the various rental companies and researching costs for renting from their neighborhood locations rather than the airport. The franchise fees that have to be paid by the companies for their airport locations can really raise the rate. The major companies have a number of offices that are a $10 - 15 cab ride from the port. On a short rental that may not be a deal breaker, but for a longer stay, my experience in renting from an off-site location and still paying for a cab to the airport can be a considerable savings.

I've found the opposite to be true - my FLL rentals have come up much cheaper than the offsite.

Budget - Sebring Conv ~ 28/day Dec 09 (still had comp shuttle to FLL)

Budget - Ford Edge ~ $25/day Dec 09

Enterprise - Nissan Murano ~ 19/day Apr 10

Alamo - Dodge Minivan ~ 44/day Dec 10

The Alamo driver in December wasn't too picky about who got on the bus to go back to FLL... really what's to stop people from making a reservation, printing the reservation and cancelling it...??

What about from the Pier to the Rental Center, is there a clear marked sign for the shuttle?

Yes. It is to the RIGHT after exiting terminal. Sign says Alamo/National shuttle. As stated in other answer, the shuttle ( full size bus ) will have sign on front.

I've found the opposite to be true - my FLL rentals have come up much cheaper than the offsite.

Budget - Sebring Conv ~ 28/day Dec 09 (still had comp shuttle to FLL)

Budget - Ford Edge ~ $25/day Dec 09

Enterprise - Nissan Murano ~ 19/day Apr 10

Alamo - Dodge Minivan ~ 44/day Dec 10quote]

That's good to know so I will check both on and off site. My last rental there in February came up $201.00 cheaper for a 6 day rental using Enterprise off-site (a few blocks from the 24th St pier entrance, so the cab was about $10.00. I had also had two one-day rentals last February that came out about $20.00 cheaper in total (including the cab) using Dollar off site.

Archived