Kayaking in Juneau? (For definite novices)

FinallyAlaska

My kids (teens) read about the kayaking excursion offered by the cruise line in Juneau and decided that's what they wanted to do. We all have been in a kayak before but truly that is all I can say for sure about our skills. This makes me think that perhaps we should do the ship's tour? Or might I find an independent kayak tour for beginners? (I just loathe the whole tour bus experience . . .)

We booked the Mendenhall Lake Paddle kayak tour with Above & Beyond Alaska, based on the recommendation from someone on this board. The person who recommended it was also a novice, but said they had no problem. A&BA has two kayak excursions -- one is guided and one is on your own.

We plan to take a kayak class at one of the outdoor stores sometime this Spring/Summer to brush up. All of our group have had "some" paddling experience -- but for some of us it has been many years!

Hope you find what you're looking for! :)

I'm guessing you do not need to worry at all about being novice sea kayakers. I have gone on several sea kayaking vacations over the years (not in Alaska) and most of the people on my tours, including me, were novices. No one on on these trips ever had a problem with the kayaking.

My family is planning a cruise so I have looked into sea kayaking in both Juneau and Ketchikan.

Above and Beyond in Juneau had very good reviews. (Most reviews I saw were for their glacier hiking tour which I'm guessing must be their most popular tour.)

In Ketchikan we have booked a sea kayaking trip with Southeast Sea Kayaks. I found very positive reviews for Southeast Sea Kayaks.

Kayaking is a pretty safe thing and whether in Alaska or some local place I don't think one will be less safe than the other. The only thing doing it at Mendenhall or other place in Alaska you might feel a bit of pressure to go further distance along the lakeor other place to get close to the glacier and sights and as such push your limits.

I'd always try and avoid the ship and go indpenedent. In the end cruiseline bus or idependent you'll end up going to likely the same or similar vendor who also provides to the cruiseline. The devil is in the transportation and always when you go indpenedent you likely are going to be herded less, YMMV.

My kids (teens) read about the kayaking excursion offered by the cruise line in Juneau and decided that's what they wanted to do. We all have been in a kayak before but truly that is all I can say for sure about our skills. This makes me think that perhaps we should do the ship's tour? Or might I find an independent kayak tour for beginners? (I just loathe the whole tour bus experience . . .)

• 3 months later...

FWIW, my hubby and I (early 40's) had never kayaked before our cruise a week ago... just canoe'd some. While we didn't do it in Juneau, we did in Ketchikan and found it remarkably easy. I was way more scared/nervous about it than I had a right to be -- once it it it seemed very natural.

HTH a little!! :)

Caroline in Toronto

Archived