5 in a cabin

moondog7751

My wife and I sailed Triumph back in 07'. This April we are sailing Triumph again, mainly because Triumph and Victory are only ships that allow 5 passengers, and this time we are taking our 3 children.

Has anyone ever sailed with 5 in a cabin? How are the beds laid out? I realize that it will be crowded, but we don't spend a lot of time in there anyway, right?

My sis does it every time she cruises! She has only cruised on DCL, in an inside cabin which on CCL is the same size as the OV cabins, due to the lack of a sitting area on CCL's inside cabins. It definitely can be done! She has a 16 year old son who is over 6 ft tall as is her DH, then herself and 2 smaller kids (6yr & 3yr olds). If you don't mind being a little cramped go for it! The only time they spend in the cabin is naps, before dinner and to sleep. Have a great cruise!:D

But do compare prices- sometimes a second room is very little more. Sometimes not for sure. We had an OV and for about $75 more instead of us all being in one room, we got an inside room across the hall- 2 bathrooms, twice the space. It was worth it for us.

We are a family of 5 and always have just one cabin. My kids are 16, 11 and 9. Still too small to put them in their own cabin. It is a bit crowded but, like you said, we're not in the cabin very much. We always get an OV room and here's the layout. You still have the two twin beds pushed together which is where my husband and I sleep. Above our head is a pull out bunk bed and across from us on the other wall is another pull out bunk bed. On the floor at our feet is the pull out bed. It's only really crowded at night time when all of this is set up. During the day all of the extra beds are put away and it's only the one big bed.

My husband and daughter use the really nice showers up in the spa area so its only me and the boys using the small cabin shower. It works for us. I know some families may not like the crowding of such a small space and if I had to do it with 5 adults it wouldn't be happening. When you're talking about 5 people vacationing we sure save alot of money doing it this way.

Just back yesterday. We have done 5 in an inside, a bit crowded, 5 on an outside twice, it was fine, my kids were 18, 15, and 13 for that one, and just back and had a Grand Suite (loved it) graduation present to myself!!! Next time I think we will get a balcony, but the outside was more than manageable because it is bigger than the inside and the extra room was great. We use the gym all week so showered there as well as our room.

Gail

My wife and I sailed Triumph back in 07'. This April we are sailing Triumph again, mainly because Triumph and Victory are only ships that allow 5 passengers, and this time we are taking our 3 children.

Has anyone ever sailed with 5 in a cabin? How are the beds laid out? I realize that it will be crowded, but we don't spend a lot of time in there anyway, right?

Not even close to true, who told you this?? wow. I hope not a TA.

Any ship built by year 2000 allows 5 to a quad cabin.

There are 9 Fantasy class ships that allow 5 to the cabin.. not even counting the two you mentioned.

Plus of course Dream has OVs that hold 5.

I hope you didnt book it based on incorrect info from a bad booking agent.

We are leaving next week on the Fascination and we are going with 5 in a room. Its an inside so we know we will be a bit crammed but our kids are 5,7,9 and we didnt want them in their own room - we just booked the trip last week so we got a pack n go rate - so I'm not sure what room we will get! I'll let you know how it turns out.

My question - some of you mentioned that you use the showers in the gym.. .is there a charge for that? We are going to shower the kids at night so it won't be bad for us in the AM but I'm thinking that if we all came back from HMC and wanted to shower it would be an option.

we did 5 to an inside cabin.

leave the beds that are on the floor- separated and put UNDER the upper beds-which will give you the needed floor space for the roll away.

If those two beds are together-- the upper beds are over top. (the floor space is a foot on each side where yougotta bend over to get outta bed.

the roll away will be at the vanity- there will be NO floor space.

for 5 in one cabin- the key here is organization- do not live out of suitcases-- put everything way- suitcases under the bed- use one for dirty clothes.

Nothing at all on the vanity- use over the door shoe holders-- one inside the bathroom door- the other inside the bathroom door.

Keeping the cabin somewhat organized helps it not to close in on you.

We also showered in the gym- too many people taking showers made the cabin feel all wet from the condensation that built up.

I agree with Fire that there are a lot more ships that allow 5 people- Destiny was another

Im always curious when people say the kids are too young to be in another cabin, why not consider connecting cabins??

I once knew a couple in Hawaii who had 3 bedrooms and 7 kids and moved to a smaller house because they didnt want to be so far from their kids.

If your kids are small enough, can you sleep 2 in a bunk? Do you have to have the trundle bed in your room? Our 2 youngest sleep together all the time and would rather do that then have the other bed in there...

sure if they can both sleep in a twin, no one will care. The trundle beds are actually stored below the regular twin, so they will still be in the cabin.

You probably are referring to the rollaways, which can be removed from the room. Some ships have both trundle beds and rollaways.

We have done 5 in a cabin before (Elation June 2010) and it was no problem at all. We have 3 boys (18, 16, 12) and yes, it was cramped when we were all in their at the same time and not sleeping, but it was not a huge problem. We all took showers at different times, got dressed at different times and would do it again in a heartbeat. Dinnertime was probably the only time it was that noticeable, but you learn how to get thru it.

Our boys had no problem with the beds, they slept well and said they were just as comfortable as home.

I'm sure it is 2 in the king bed, one in each pull down twin bed, and the 5th in the couch bed.

I'm sure it is 2 in the king bed, one in each pull down twin bed, and the 5th in the couch bed.

Im sure its not this .. the 5th is always a rollaway or trundle bed.

They take a regular quad and add a temporary bed .. so the 5th would never be a convertible sofa bed. There are no cabins on these ships that were grandfathered in with 5 permanent beds. NONE.

My family of 5 stayed inan Oceanview on the Dream. It was great. Kids were 10,10 & 8. No problem with space at all. Twins pushed together for the adults, 2 bunks for 2 kids & 1 kid slept on couch, which doubles as a bed.

My family of 5 stayed inan Oceanview on the Dream. It was great. Kids were 10,10 & 8. No problem with space at all. Twins pushed together for the adults, 2 bunks for 2 kids & 1 kid slept on couch, which doubles as a bed.

Dream family OVs are different than the cabins for 5 that were built for 4 on the other ships. You also had split baths.

Magic will have these OVs as well .. but it doesnt apply to any other class of ship.

You have to remember these cabins actually are much bigger than a camper (remember those days?) and you can get 5 easily to a room unless you all are sumo wrestlers. But if you think you will spend lots of time in there then you will start to feel the crampedness. I too would suggest an ajoining cabin if you really want the extra space.

Archived