Mexico warnings article and recent death of Royal Caribbean employee in Cozumel

This is an article I found on USA Today discussing the recent death of the Royal Caribbean employee in Cozumel as well as other warnings in Mexico. It also goes on to discuss travel and safety tips. Really good information I thought.

http://travel.usatoday.com/destinations/dispatches/post/2011/02/new-travel-warning-spotlights-mexico-again/141871/1?loc=interstitialskip

What do you do to stay safe while you are traveling?

This is an article I found on USA Today discussing the recent death of the Royal Caribbean employee in Cozumel as well as other warnings in Mexico. It also goes on to discuss travel and safety tips. Really good information I thought.

http://travel.usatoday.com/destinations/dispatches/post/2011/02/new-travel-warning-spotlights-mexico-again/141871/1?loc=interstitialskip

What do you do to stay safe while you are traveling?

I saw both of those on Facebook today as well - very sad and just another reason I will never sail to the Western Caribbean - such a shame because I'm sure it's beautiful, but just not worth the risk for me and my family. Some people say -well stay on board - that pretty much defeats the purpose of cruising to these countries. However if you do go to these countries - they say to stay inside the fencing - even the private island on Haiti for RCI has armed guards. Sorry - just not my idea of a good time with kids.

I saw both of those on Facebook today as well - very sad and just another reason I will never sail to the Western Caribbean - such a shame because I'm sure it's beautiful, but just not worth the risk for me and my family. Some people say -well stay on board - that pretty much defeats the purpose of cruising to these countries. However if you do go to these countries - they say to stay inside the fencing - even the private island on Haiti for RCI has armed guards. Sorry - just not my idea of a good time with kids.

The article says: "While Mexico is on the list of countries that currently rate "travel warnings" from the State Department (the newest entry on that list, of course, is Egypt), the State Department says most tourist areas do not present a risk. Caution is urged in Acapulco, parts of the Nayarit area and in border towns such as Ciudad Juarez."

There's nothing there about the Western Caribbean. I don't know where you prefer to cruise, but most Western Caribbean ports are just as safe as any other Caribbean port. Parts of Jamaica can be pretty sketchy, but I've not seen any problems in Cozumel, Costa Maya, Roatan, Grand Cayman.

The article says: "While Mexico is on the list of countries that currently rate "travel warnings" from the State Department (the newest entry on that list, of course, is Egypt), the State Department says most tourist areas do not present a risk. Caution is urged in Acapulco, parts of the Nayarit area and in border towns such as Ciudad Juarez."

There's nothing there about the Western Caribbean. I don't know where you prefer to cruise, but most Western Caribbean ports are just as safe as any other Caribbean port. Parts of Jamaica can be pretty sketchy, but I've not seen any problems in Cozumel, Costa Maya, Roatan, Grand Cayman.

Oh you probably aren't aware, yet another Canadian was murdered yesterday, plus a Royal Caribbean employee who was on a port jaunt from the Allure was found murdered this weekend both in Mexico. I had booked another cruise a couple of years ago and we couldn't get into Roatan because of labour problems at the port. Hence my reasoning for never taking the western cruise.

I'm fully aware anywhere I go in this world that I am in charge of my own safety. I can't really rely on others around me to do that job for me.

I do, however, think that you can travel to the Western Caribbean right now as long as you are "smart" and stay where the tourists are.

I'm excited to get on the Allure and I do plan on getting off at every port. They haven't released all the information yet on the details of the Royal Caribbean employee's death yet in Cozumel.

We went to St Martin, St. Thomas last year and we stayed where the tourists are. We are trying Western Caribbean this year just for a change of pace and scenery.

We have been on 28 cruises and only once did we feel threatened (on Martinique). It was local teenagers having their brand of "fun". We have been to Costa Maya many times (love it and that includes the locals). Everyone is friendly and polite...do you feel that here at home? St. Thomas has had it's share of incidents, but again always felt safe there. Cozumel, again felt safe. The jury is still out regarding the violinist from the Allure. Perhaps she went exploring, hit her head and drowned. To say she was murdered is speculative at best. Never explore on your own wherever you are. I feel sorry for all the good Mexicans who depend on the tourist dollar and get a bad rap because of drug lords, etc. who are ruining a beautiful country that holds many great memories for all of us.

Archived