Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center?

FinallyAlaska

I am weighing the pros and cons of a ship excursion in Juneau (versus independently booked excursions). One of the ship's excurions I am considering describes a one-hour stop at the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center. What will we be able to experience in an hour?

You probably could squeeze in most of these if you didn't have to wait in line for the bathroom. There are a couple bridges where bears and salmon can be seen in season that are near the parking area. The walkway up to the Visitor Center has labeled plants and other information. Inside there is a decent movie that the timing might allow, and some good exhibits. Outside you can get a good view of the glacier and the falls. What you won't get is a chance to do any real walking or hiking along the shore to the waterfall or any of the other trails that they have there.

On your own you can get a RT bus/shuttle ($16+/-) and pick your own times. We did that, the tram, walked the town, and got great pizza, all for the price of the ship's excursion.

I am weighing the pros and cons of a ship excursion in Juneau (versus independently booked excursions). One of the ship's excurions I am considering describes a one-hour stop at the Mendenhall Glacier Visitor Center. What will we be able to experience in an hour?

The only advantage to a tour is the quality of the seats on the bus. The glacier is only about 20 minutes from the dock. I believe the cheap shuttle bus even as the travelogue from the driver.

The Visitor Center has an entry fee that would be included in your pricey tour. Everything else at the glacier is free; many people don't even go into the center. If you're interested in learning how glaciers work and seeing a short film, it's worth the cost.

It can easily be absorbed in an hour. Real geology geeks might want more time. I'd personally spend at least 2 hours at the glacier, if not longer, to do the hikes. If you have mobility issues, there's still well maintained paved trails.

I think I left out that the one hour at the Visitor's Center is not the only thing that the ship's tour I am considering does. The main thing is whale watching. Then the hour at the Visitor's Center. We are pretty sure we want to do a whale-watching excursion but I am uncertain whether the best option would be the ship's tour or an independent tour. If the hour at the Visitor's Center would be worthwhile (that is, there are some interesting things to see and do), then that might sway me in favor of the ship's excursion.

Thanks for everyone's advice. I simply cannot imagine trying to plan this trip without you!

I think I left out that the one hour at the Visitor's Center is not the only thing that the ship's tour I am considering does. The main thing is whale watching. Then the hour at the Visitor's Center. We are pretty sure we want to do a whale-watching excursion but I am uncertain whether the best option would be the ship's tour or an independent tour. If the hour at the Visitor's Center would be worthwhile (that is, there are some interesting things to see and do), then that might sway me in favor of the ship's excursion.

Thanks for everyone's advice. I simply cannot imagine trying to plan this trip without you!

So the ship's whale watching only gives you an hour at the glacier, then drives you back to your ship?

Again, it depends on what you want to do. I see plenty of people get off their tour bus, walk to the viewpoint, take a couple of photos and walk back to the bus shelter, sitting there surrounded by nature's beauty, waiting for a bus.

If I only had an hour at the glacier, I wouldn't bother with the center. There's informative plaques around outside to give you the basic info, and I think seeing the geological formations and the different views of the glacier are more worthwhile.

Also, if you're here in the fall, there may be bears to view at Steep Creek by the parking lot.

So the ship's whale watching only gives you an hour at the glacier, then drives you back to your ship?

Yep, that's the tour. At this moment, whale watching is a definite yes. I would also like to leave feeling like I had experienced the glaciers but I am having a hard time figuring out how to do that. Of course a helicopter ride and landing probably is the best way to experience the glaciers but I am trying not to go broke on this trip, so I am trying to figure out it there is a much cheaper although acceptable way.

Can you really get a sense of the glaciers walking the Visitors' Center trails? Or should I just suck it up and book the helicopter?

The visitor center IMO is interesting and yes you can get a good sense of the glacier but if you really want to get up close and personal then the helicopter is the way to go....however if you are going on to the Hubbard glacier or Glacier Bay then I would just stick to the local independent shuttle.

I'd definitely recommend doing a whale watch with someone like Orca Enterprises or Marv & Harv. They're both great and it's much better than the cruise ship's whale watches! If you let them know a head of time they'll drop you off at Mendenhall. From there you can catch a bus for $7 or $8 back to the ship. The buses run constantly so it's not hard to get back.

On our first trip we did the helicopter landing and it was amazing! Out of all the excursions we've done it is our favorite. We saw things we'd never seen on any nature show. I'm not sure about any of the other whale watches and it's been four years, but Orca took us from the whale watch and dropped us off at the airport for the helicopter trip. Saved some time.

I'd definitely recommend doing a whale watch with someone like Orca Enterprises or Marv & Harv. They're both great and it's much better than the cruise ship's whale watches! If you let them know a head of time they'll drop you off at Mendenhall. From there you can catch a bus for $7 or $8 back to the ship. The buses run constantly so it's not hard to get back.

On our first trip we did the helicopter landing and it was amazing! Out of all the excursions we've done it is our favorite. We saw things we'd never seen on any nature show. I'm not sure about any of the other whale watches and it's been four years, but Orca took us from the whale watch and dropped us off at the airport for the helicopter trip. Saved some time.

Do you happen to know how late in the day these buses run?

Archived