Caribbean-Cruising Fashonista

indiana71

burm: All CCFs look just like you in this freezing weather! And when we're cruising on tropical water and sitting under a cloudless sky, we'll remember January 2014 as setting record low temps:rolleyes:

I had planned to take my scarf and gloves to the beach at Labadee in December. The scarf & gloves were needed at SailAway...but by the time we reached the Caribbean, I didn't even THINK about winter necessities:cool:

I mentioned in an earlier post that I went through old (pre-marriage) family albums and got rid of lots of photos; and arranged the keepers in an updated album. After looking at the photos that my mother is in, I realize why I always choose patterned clothing. In almost every shot, mother is wearing a patterned dress. (I loved her style - classic cuts, classy prints).

QUESTION: Is there someone in your life who influenced your style?!

burm: All CCFs look just like you in this freezing weather! And when we're cruising on tropical water and sitting under a cloudless sky, we'll remember January 2014 as setting record low temps:rolleyes:

I had planned to take my scarf and gloves to the beach at Labadee in December. The scarf & gloves were needed at SailAway...but by the time we reached the Caribbean, I didn't even THINK about winter necessities:cool:

I mentioned in an earlier post that I went through old (pre-marriage) family albums and got rid of lots of photos; and arranged the keepers in an updated album. After looking at the photos that my mother is in, I realize why I always choose patterned clothing. In almost every shot, mother is wearing a patterned dress. (I loved her style - classic cuts, classy prints).

QUESTION: Is there someone in your life who influenced your style?!

I didn't realize it until I read this post but tend toward non-prints for the same reason. My mom wore solids and accented with contrasting color jewelry. I tend to do the same but I wear bright colors as opposed to Mom's grey, black and navy. She changed her style when she was older, living in Florida she wore shorts and sleeveless blouses alot. Thanks for the memory, Nancy.

Ok, way off topic but was wondering....what color polish do you guys prefer when going on cruise? Do you go with a neutral that will match everything or a fun, bright, tropical color?

Fun, bright, tropical colours, usually with a design.

I remember once when 6 women were standing in a tight circle waiting to board our chartered sailboat- I looked down and noticed 6 beautifully painted sets of toes and all in tropical colours. We should have taken a photo. It looked so pretty.

I go with a tropical color, too. For the December cruise, my choice was redder than usual (thinking holiday...) but it didn't feel right with any outfit except The Red Dress:rolleyes:. I'm always looking for that Caribbean-pastel-but-happy color that goes with everything. Covergirl Outlast Stay Brilliant polishes are my new favorite. Considering the condition of my nails (splitting, short), this polish stays on without chipping for at least a week. Base Coat: Nail Envy Nail Strengthener (don't know if it does any more than regular old base coat, though); then two coats of polish, topped off with a coat of Sally Hansen Double Duty.

Don't recall if I mentioned - no longer using the Clinique serum product. My "parentheses" diminished a teeny tiny bit - not enough to warrant the $45 price tag.

The Garnier BB Crème is doing a great job. Pores look smaller and I rarely use/need the Clinique All About Eyes Concealer (that I used everywhere on my face EXCEPT around my eyes:rolleyes:. Now my only concealer is the one I use AROUND MY EYES - L'Oreal True Match Crayon Concealer that applies precisely where it's needed.

THE PROCESS BEGINS THIS AFTERNOON! We had a fabulous time with DS and his family. They arrived Friday evening. I prepared a multi-course Birthday Dinner Saturday and they left Sunday afternoon.

The Cruise Room is ready for Outfits Selection:cool:

Ok, way off topic but was wondering....what color polish do you guys prefer when going on cruise? Do you go with a neutral that will match everything or a fun, bright, tropical color?

Usually go for a pale metalic gold with ring finger highlighted with a fancy foil or a gold glitter coat I find the metallics more hardwearing

Sandy in Spain

Oh the gold/metallic sounds nice! Do you do the same color on toes?

It depends on how I feel. Sometimes I do a diferent design on my big toe nails with decals eg flowers, butterflies, stars.... There used to be a thread here called <show me your toes>

Sandy in Spain

Edited by t60

For me, nail color depends on when I get a manicure. I'm not allowed to wear bright tropical colors to work, so if I get a mani while I'm still at work, I usually go with a pale pink, like Fiji. But if I get the mani after finishing work, I'll go with a bright pink or some other bright color. I usually stay in the pinks family though, other bright colors don't look right on my hands.

Hello, hello!!! I'm back!! I've been reading and catching up the past couple of days and and pleased to report that not only is my next cruise in less than 30 days, cruise packing (and buying :rolleyes:) is in full swing. I popped out at lunch and bought some really cute shoes that I think are cruise worthy. I'll try and get a picture posted tonight.

With the metallic polish comment - a coworker had gold polish on that looked stunning!! She did it herself but I'll have to ask her the name again as I'm drawing a blank here ...

Looking forward to seeing pictures of what everyone is bringing on their next cruise :)

To clarify my last remarks, I'm only speaking for myself, of course, but keeping my weight down has never been easy for me, and I've always found it easier to get rid of an extra 5 pounds than an extra 20. On vacation, I find that I often eat less (no snacks lying around) and walk more (so many sights to see), so the clothes typically fit the same when I'm on my way home . . .

I completely agree with this!!

Yes, I eat dessert every night. But we also take the stairs EVERYWHERE unless I'm in heels.

Yes, I may eat larger portions. But I work out EVERY day - running on deck into the wind isn't an easy workout ;)

Yes I have cocktails. But ... well, no buts here, we do walk A LOT.

Last cruise I found I was up maybe 3 pounds. Gone within a couple of days after drinking lots of water and back to my regular diet.

GEOCRUISER: Yes! The yellow & white skirt outfit made the cut! Yesterday was Outfits Choosing Day, and today was Try On Day. A couple things just didn't work...a good reason to Try On before Packing.

More than half of the outfits have never been worn before (in the combination). DH couldn't believe it when I told him, "Six pairs of shoes + what I'm wearing - that's ALL the shoes:rolleyes:" This will be the least amount ever:rolleyes:.

I'm still unhappy with the/my inability to upload a photo...BUT, I really want to show you the handbags DH gave me for Christmas. If you click on the link, you will see the green Dooney & Bourke that has become my everyday purse. The other 2 are for fun and are both going on The Next Cruise.

http://images1.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv8885%3Dwp%3E2426%3D%3B55%3D657%3DXROQDF%3E275%3A%3B%3B53%3A9244wp1lsi

JEDIMOM: Welcome back! Hope you have better luck with photos...looking forward to seeing yours.

t60: I agree with you RE metallic...in fact, if I see one that looks tropical, it might be The One. Right now my nails are painted with Covergirl Outlast Bronze Beauty. Maybe the metallic would work as a second coat over My Papaya...will try that this weekend:cool:

Edited by indiana71

I'm hoping this link will be a bigger photo of the handbags...YAY! It is MUCH easier to see the Cupcakes and the Dots!

http://images1.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3A%3B7%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D3669%3C%3A62%3B8335nu0mrj

Thanks for working hard to get the pictures to show larger, Nancy. Love your everyday bag (a great neutral but unexpected color) and the cupcake purse would be great for carting around glasses, camera and lipstick while on board :)

Fun, bright, tropical colours, usually with a design.

I remember once when 6 women were standing in a tight circle waiting to board our chartered sailboat- I looked down and noticed 6 beautifully painted sets of toes and all in tropical colours. We should have taken a photo. It looked so pretty.

I think you changed my mind about how I am going to do my nails for our upcoming cruise. I am going to go for a tropical orange (my skin is too yellow for pinks) on my nails with some designs instead of the typical French manicure that I always tend to lean towards.

Thanks for the inspiration.:)

Peggy

So, I told my hair dresser to go to town and do anything she wanted (color and cut) as we are leaving a week from today for our cruise.:eek: Don't panic, it didn't turn out bad so that I am inquiring as to how to cover it with a hat. Actually, I always tell her to do what she wants. She has done my hair for over 10 years and is really talented...therefore I completely trust her. This time she really let loose and brought out my fun personality in my hair...and she even took a before and after picture that I thought I would share. (OK she did go a little crazy on the styling, but that only lasted til I got it wet.)

https://fashionabletravel.shutterfly.com/pictures/13

(Yes it is maroon, strawberry blond, blond, and blue!)

Peggy

So, I told my hair dresser to go to town and do anything she wanted (color and cut) as we are leaving a week from today for our cruise.:eek: Don't panic, it didn't turn out bad so that I am inquiring as to how to cover it with a hat. Actually, I always tell her to do what she wants. She has done my hair for over 10 years and is really talented...therefore I completely trust her. This time she really let loose and brought out my fun personality in my hair...and she even took a before and after picture that I thought I would share. (OK she did go a little crazy on the styling, but that only lasted til I got it wet.)

Peggy

I was afraid to click on your link...lol...but...I LOVE IT:):):)

Peggy

Peggy - Your hair looks fantastic!!! You have a very talented stylist.

I'm hoping this link will be a bigger photo of the handbags...YAY! It is MUCH easier to see the Cupcakes and the Dots!

http://images1.snapfish.com/232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv%3A%3B7%3Enu%3D3335%3E%3A64%3E566%3EWSNRCG%3D3669%3C%3A62%3B8335nu0mrj

I want the CUPCAKE purse!! Is it a recent find? I absolutely love it!!

Sent using the Cruise Critic forums app

MPLOYHAR: You are SO lucky to have a terrific hair stylist! From your photos, it looks like you can be edgy or style it to be conservative and still fun:). I'm a big fan of shorter hair and thank you for sharing pictures!

Tomorrow is my day to go to the hair salon. This is the longest my hair has been since teenage years, and the longest time between coloring. Even though Chelsey has been my stylist for only a couple months, she's made me happy:).

WRCJR98: The cupcake handbag was purchased in San Juan at the Dooney & Bourke outlet. If you go to dooney dot com, and Search "cupcake", a couple styles appear. The one I have is listed at $118.00. DH (because of outlet pricing) got both for a little more than that:cool:

BTW: No new purchases for The Next Cruise. Yes, there are a couple "new" items...because they didn't make the final Outfits previously;). With 3 cruises in 6 months, I need to be creative so all the photos don't show The Same Old Same Old cruise outfits.

Three weeks from Sunday - we're cruising:):cool:.

Received an email response from Cruise Critic RE the inability to post photos and the appearance of text as I type. The answer was: "Some servers have updated and that is causing a change. The tech folks at CC are working on compatibility.

I'm using a different browser and the "old style" is back!

Now...to see if a photo will post...YAY YAY YAY!! Looks like I'm going to be leaving google for foxfire:)

Now that the photo is visible: This is an outfit from the December Cruise - the animal print top wouldn't normally be in the Cruise Room, but since the weather during the return trip wasn't conducive to tropical clothing - it fit the occasion.

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3478%3Dot%3E2426%3D%3B55%3D657%3DXROQDF%3E2755477%3A%3A%3C244ot1lsi

Indiana,

Isn't it so hard to find a good stylist? I knew this one was a keeper when I tryed her out on a whim and she told me straight out that the style I desired wouldn't look good with my profile. People tend not to stand up to me as, I have been told it has to do with my commanding presence, but I LOVED the fact she wasn't going to let me walk out of her salon with anything less than the best, at least without my full knowledge of her expert opinion.

The one thing I did realize yesterday though about this color in my hair is that wearing black next to my face really washes me out...and almost all of the dresses I have packed for our cruise next week are black! To solve the problem, I bought some pashminas (rush shipping on ebay) last night that could be paired with my dresses and not only complement my complexion but will be great for keeping me warm, as I usually find dining cold when in a sleeveless dress.

Peggy

Sent from my SGH-T699 using Tapatalk

Received an email response from Cruise Critic RE the inability to post photos and the appearance of text as I type. The answer was: "Some servers have updated and that is causing a change. The tech folks at CC are working on compatibility.

I'm using a different browser and the "old style" is back!

Now...to see if a photo will post...YAY YAY YAY!! Looks like I'm going to be leaving google for foxfire:)

Now that the photo is visible: This is an outfit from the December Cruise - the animal print top wouldn't normally be in the Cruise Room, but since the weather during the return trip wasn't conducive to tropical clothing - it fit the occasion.

232323232%7Ffp93232%3Euqcshlukaxroqdfv3478%3Dot%3E2426%3D%3B55%3D657%3DXROQDF%3E2755477%3A%3A%3C244ot1lsi

Glad you have figured out your photo posting issues. What would we do without our computers?!?

Very nice casual outfit....though I think we've seen that top before. But maybe not as part of your cruisewear. How many days do you have cold/cool weather when departing from NYC? Guessing there are two where warmer clothes are warranted.