Umbera Indian- Grand Tour Of Panama --Fabulous!

cathykins

My husband and I just returned from the 11 day Summit cruise. One of those stops offered a "Grand Tour of Panama" which included three different stages. I promised myself that I would write a review when I got back...as so often I have looked for reviews and found this section of CC to be underutilized. Here goes:

First we took a short bus ride to the Panama Canal itself. Don't for a moment think you would be bored. It is truly fascinating and I could have stayed there longer. There is a covered "viewing platform) that shelters you from the heat (although it WAS humid...) and you are able to see a ship go through one of the locks. Truly awe inspiring close up! I believe we were there about 1 and 1/2 hours. Then we boarded our bus for a short trip to a hotel, where we got into small boats that held about 14 people each and headed out onto Gatun Lake. This is a lake that was formed by the making and flooding of the Panama Canal. We had a naturalist narrate as we floated across the lake. She told us some of the history and some of the interesting things about the plants and animals. We saw some sloths - one had a baby in her arms and was swinging from a tree right over our boat!) and some monkeys and some cool birds...That section of the tour lasted about 45 minutes I think. Then the little boats took us to a dock where we got out and proceeded to walk up a little path to an "Umbera Indian Village". These are the indigenous Indians that still maintain a way of life that they have lived for hundreds of years. It was so interesting. Many of the women were topless and some were nursing babies. The men wore little more than a loin cloth. There were the cutest little smiling kids running around playing. We were led into a sort of "long house shelter" that was open on all four sides to let the breeze in. Then the Umbera Indians put on a dance for us. Then they gathered up all the tourists and drew them into their circle and all of us were smiling and twirling and dancing around together. It made for a great photo opportunity and something really unique. They also had a few small structures where a couple families lived and we were able to see them. They had some handi-work they sold as well. It was a very short glimpse into a way of life that is surely quickly disappearing. I recommend it highly!

Have a great time,

Cathykins

We used the boat tour called the "Grand Tour of Panama" and were very happy with it. I don't know about the other tour...does it offer the Lake and the Locks and the Indians? I wouldn't miss out on any of it if you can help it.

Cathy

• 6 months later...

Cathy -

So glad you posted a review. I just signed up for this tour. Last time I did the train along the canal. Were there any snacks provided? It appears to be quite long & was wondering if I should bring something along. Thanks.

We are on the 11 night Summit in December (27th) Do you remember the time of this tour? We are thinking of doing it but the timing may make a difference for us. Also, we have 5 and 7 year old, well-traveled and well behaved children. Do you think they would enjoy this tour or should we leave them on the ship? Thanks for any imput you have. Also, what did you do in Costa Rica?

• 1 month later...

EXCELENT YOUR DESCRIPTION ABOUT THE GRAND TOUR , THE ONLY THINK I DONT SEE WAS THE NAME OF THE EXCELENT GUIDE THAT TAKE CARE OF YOU ON THE TOUR , I REALY BELIEVE THAT THE SAME WAY WE COMPLAIN ABOUT THE BAD GUIDES WE NEED TO GIVE THE CREDIT TO THOSE GUIDES THAT DESERVED.

JUPITER

My husband and I just returned from the 11 day Summit cruise. One of those stops offered a "Grand Tour of Panama" which included three different stages. I promised myself that I would write a review when I got back...as so often I have looked for reviews and found this section of CC to be underutilized. Here goes:

First we took a short bus ride to the Panama Canal itself. Don't for a moment think you would be bored. It is truly fascinating and I could have stayed there longer. There is a covered "viewing platform) that shelters you from the heat (although it WAS humid...) and you are able to see a ship go through one of the locks. Truly awe inspiring close up! I believe we were there about 1 and 1/2 hours. Then we boarded our bus for a short trip to a hotel, where we got into small boats that held about 14 people each and headed out onto Gatun Lake. This is a lake that was formed by the making and flooding of the Panama Canal. We had a naturalist narrate as we floated across the lake. She told us some of the history and some of the interesting things about the plants and animals. We saw some sloths - one had a baby in her arms and was swinging from a tree right over our boat!) and some monkeys and some cool birds...That section of the tour lasted about 45 minutes I think. Then the little boats took us to a dock where we got out and proceeded to walk up a little path to an "Umbera Indian Village". These are the indigenous Indians that still maintain a way of life that they have lived for hundreds of years. It was so interesting. Many of the women were topless and some were nursing babies. The men wore little more than a loin cloth. There were the cutest little smiling kids running around playing. We were led into a sort of "long house shelter" that was open on all four sides to let the breeze in. Then the Umbera Indians put on a dance for us. Then they gathered up all the tourists and drew them into their circle and all of us were smiling and twirling and dancing around together. It made for a great photo opportunity and something really unique. They also had a few small structures where a couple families lived and we were able to see them. They had some handi-work they sold as well. It was a very short glimpse into a way of life that is surely quickly disappearing. I recommend it highly!

Have a great time,

Cathykins

• 3 weeks later...

We did the same tour thru Princess. We just got off the Grand yesterday (12/27) and this tour was the highlight of our cruise. Even our 12 yr old liked it. We stopped at a very nice hotel and took boats out to the village. We saw a couple 3 toed sloth, a monkey and an inguana or sometype of reptile while we were on the water.

If you're on the Grand and see the term "replica village" for this tour, don't let it sway you. There was a tribe of Embara Indians, chief and all on the island.

They have items to sell and will barter with you. The chief spoke and our tour guide, who was also an Embara Indian, translated. My son and husband were pulled out of the crowd to dance with them. The women are scantily clad from the waist up. Some wear large necklaces to cover themselves but some don't. It was not at all offensive. We also had some fruit in our bags (oranges, apples and pears) and the little ones wanted these over candy.

There was no notice for Panama that we could not bring fruit. At a couple other stops there was notice that we could not bring dairy or fruit on the islands.

If you want to buy something, your best bet is to get it there rather than in the marketplace. There will also be Embara selling items at the marketplace in the port but you can get it for a little less on the island.

We were able to see the Coral come thru the Gatun locks after we left the village. There are 80 steps up to the platform but they are in sections and not bad at all to climb

I absolutely loved this tour and would do it again in a heartbeat.

• 2 weeks later...

Snowmouse: We are on the Summit 11 day in Feb. In the doc booklet it lists the Grand Tour of Panama (same as OP review) and the price is $119 pp. This tour is 5 hours.

Then, there is just the Embera Indian Culture tour for $75.00. The difference is that you do not go to the lock, or in the boat across the lake. The tour mentions the Changres River so possibly you go along the banks of the river. I am wondering if this is the same village as the Grand Tour? This tour is 3 hours.

Grace

HELP, can anyone please help me ?????

We are booked on the Legend of the Seas March 27th from San Diego to Fort Lauderdale.

I booked an excursion to see the Indian village and was wondering if I actually go through the Gatun Lock before leaving the ship to see the village.

Anyone who has done the Embara excursion please help

Thanking you

Tell your friend that the excursion will be worth missing the last set. Going through the locks is such a SLOW...SLOW..event. Not to say it is not interesting but after experiencing the other sets I don't think you will miss too much. I would keep your plans.

SKB..........Ah Ha, now I see where you got the info you emailed me. lol

Vikki, So you are saying that we will go through the first set of locks before getting off for this excursion then? Will have to check with the DH and see if this is acceptable to him. He is the one that wanted to go all the way through.

Thanks for asking the question though SKB! ;)

Toto: If you are coming from the Pacific ocean you will go through two different sets of locks before you hit gatun lake where you will get off by boat to do the Umbara Indian excursion. The only set of locks you will miss is the gatun locks. We stayed on the ship because for the first time I wanted to say we went ocean to ocean. That being said I have heard this excursion is great and worth missing a bit of the canal for. The people from our cruise who did it seemed very pleased. The next transcanal cruise we do I will make a point of doing an excursion.

I did not do the excursion so I do not know if at some point you get in a canoe. I do know that you leave the ship in Gatum lake in the normal tender boats. If you do transfer to a canoe a some point I would not worry because the couple at the next table in the dining room did that excursion and she had to weigh about 200. He was short maybe 5'9' but had to weigh at least 265. The did not strike me as very nimble if you get my drift.

Archived