Balcony Vs Inside cabin

haifun

I need help to book the cabin for the Panama canal trip from FLL to CA.

Could I see the lock as they go through if I book the balcony?

Which one is better for view and save the money.

Haifun

Yes you can see the locks (or at least one side of them) from your balcony. You can also go to the front or rear of the ship for a great view, no matter where your cabin is.

If you want specific info about a specific Princess ship and the cabins on it, you should repost that question on the Princess board here at Cruise Critic.

We were on the Panama Canal just this last Feb. and yes we had a balcony and could see only one side. We found that we were more outside on the decks, (promenade, up top etc to see everything we could. So if you want the inside cabin to save money thats fine. Even with us you had a balcony we still went out on the decks to make sure we saw everything. Hope that helps.

Marilyn

All,

Thank you very much for the informations that all I need to know. I was on VeenDam last year and back to back on Dawn Princess in February and I will cruising out of Seattle on May 15,2004 for Alaska on Oosterdam. So my next trip will be Panama Canal, maybe on Dec 26.

Thanks,

Haifun

• 1 month later...

My husband and I have been through the canal 3 times. We were able to sit on our balcony on the Rotterdam and it was very comfortable going through the locks, but we were able to see only one side. The first time we went through, we were on the Ryndam and we had the best seat in the house, in my opinion. We went up to the Crow's Nest and snagged two seat right up front in the middle. We spent the day there and had a great view of the entire canal passage, in air conditioned comfort!

So, I guess it's up to you, I liked both experiences.

Linda

Thanks for listening

• 2 weeks later...

We did a Canal transit in April and enjoyed having the balcony. The front or rear of the ship seemed to be the best place as you go through the locks to see the lock gates in action, but while we were in Gatun Lake we really liked having the balcony to get out of the sun and relax. If the balcony is an option for you, I would recommend it.

Sue

Dawn Princess - Panama Canal - April 2004

Dawn Princess - Alaska - August 2005

icon_wink.gif Panama Canal

The first time we did a full transit of the canal we were on the Royal Princess. We had a balcony on the starboard side since we were going from the west coast to the east coast. A ship's photographer ran along the shore and took pictures of the ship going through the locks. He also took pictures of passengers out on their verandahs - we have a great picture of us on our verandah going through the locks.

We always book a verandah and choose the side where we can watch the mules work.

Going from east coast to west coast we choose a cabin on the port side.

We have done the full transit several times and love to sit out on the verandah as we go through the locks.

icon_smile.gificon_smile.gif

• 3 weeks later...

What time did you have to be up there to get the seats in the Crow's Nest? Was there a problem with passengers blocking your line of sight by crowding around in from of your chairs?

• 1 month later...

We are doing the Panama Canal on the Legend in October. We checked lots of ships but settled on one that had rear facing balconys. That way you see everything and get a larger balcony than one on the side of the ship. You do have to book these way ahead, they go quickly! Marg

We are on the next trip from you out of Fort Lauderdale on the 17th of October. We did this trip a number of years ago from West to East but this time are taking friends with us who wanted to do Orlando etc. pre cruise. We booked a good year ago to get the rear facing balcony and I am SO excited, we usually do the cheapie cabins so this is a real treat for us. Have a wonderful cruise and save some of the sunshine for us. Marg

Archived