What Will You Be Reading on Next Cruise and Will It Be Book, Kindle or Nook?

aussieg3

I've taken my Kindle 3 on my last few cruises. It was an easy choice for me ... most things I buy online, I buy from Amazon. It was (relatively) inexpensive. It has a great screen for reading books (I have an iPad if I need something in color). I have more faith in the longevity/power of Amazon over Barnes and Noble.

We're leaving on Friday for the Panama Canal on Princess, and I'll have my Nook Color with me. I've loaded it up with Moning's series, but I haven't started that yet. Plus some good old romances by Susan Wiggs and the last of the Nora Roberts bride quartet. I'm also excited about having a few magazines to read on the Nook Color instead of having to lug them around. I'm a big magazine reader on planes and trips, so it's nice to just have it all in the Nook.

Divingaggie, If you like Susan Wiggs, you might like Sherryl Woods (Chesapeake Shores series is my favorite) and Debbie Macomber (Cedar Cove) series.

Absolutely my Kindle 3. Just got it and love it to pieces. Have already finished two books on it and am in the middle of the third. I highly reccomend Unbroken by Laura Hillenbrand. One of the 5 best books I have ever read.

Cheers, Kenn

On my last cruise, I took my kindle (rev 1). I spent months picking books and had it fully loaded. It was a disaster (for me). I had a hard time reading on my back while in the sun and wasn't able to relax with it as I can a book (less flexible). It was the end of my "kindle honeymoon."

I ended up giving it away 6 months later. This upcoming cruise, paperbacks all around

FWIW - I haven't given up on the idea of an e-book. The color nook looks interesting

What will you be reading on your next cruise? I love easy reading mysteries on vacation (Janet Evanovich, Sue Grafton) and will be bringing both on my next cruise. This is the first time I'll be bringing a Kindle rather than actual books on vacation. If I get tired of reading, I can always play Scrabble. I'm addicted!

Love that cat! It has to be a book for me. I've tried my daughter's Kindle and it's not very tactile. I can see a big advantage to it - you can read in the early hours without disturbing your bedmate, but Ill stick to books. I would like to read Con Iggulden's 'Empire of Silver' It's the last in his 'Conquerer' series, but Amazon says it hasn't been published yet - I'm sure it has. I really enjoyed that series and I got quite fond of Genghis - a bit worrying! Not the kind of books |I would normally read.

Edited by lolagail

I'm an avid reader and have been all my life.

I will never consider a Kindle or any other sort of electronic device...

I love the feel of a book, the smell of it. Love to hold it and dogear the pages. Love books that somebody else has handled and read--I consider that a shared experience.

I would never want a book that needs it's battery charged....;)

I've taken my Kindle 3 on my last few cruises. It was an easy choice for me ... most things I buy online, I buy from Amazon. It was (relatively) inexpensive. It has a great screen for reading books (I have an iPad if I need something in color). I have more faith in the longevity/power of Amazon over Barnes and Noble.

Also havae a Kindle 3 and agree about the longevity of Amazon over Barnes and Noble -- especially since B&N are closing a lot of stores. No matter how much people love "real" books, they seem to be going the way of other outdated inventions. The good part of that is that it will save trees.

I love the feel of a book' date=' the smell of it. Love to hold it and dogear the pages. Love books that somebody else has handled and read--I consider that a shared experience.

I would never want a book that needs it's battery charged....;)[/quote']

Obviously no one is going to change your mind, but I tend to read quite a bit and on a 7 day or longer cruise, the Kindle saves me about 10 pounds in my suitcase. Also, the charge, especially without wireless on, lasts over two weeks so it's not like you daily putting the book down to charge.

I have had my nook over a year now. It went on its' first cruise last summer.

I am an avid reader. Noticed I had no problems reading in bright sunlight- the lady near me with an IPAD couldn't see. nook uses e-ink technology.

It has spoiled me...was reading a older paperback- the print was unusually small and the font was hard to be at ease with...nook changes font and size if desired.

I love hard books also...so I use a blend......but it really saves a lot of packing weight and space on a cruise...

I left my nook in my office yesterday and was planning to finish the James Grippando novel I was reading....I ended up reading the rest today on my pc by accessing my on-line account.

The limited access to sharing purchased ebooks makes me still buy some books especially to share...

I've decided I have a bunch of e-books I wanna share with my gf who is home temporarily...I'm just gonna give her my nook for 2 weeks.

Bernadette

I am a library girl myself - I can't imagine what I would have spent over the years with the amount of books that I have read without using the library. But now with my Kindle I have the availability of having a book with me at all times - I never "run out" and have to go searching for something to reread. It holds just like a book with the cover on. No struggling with the size of the font. Perfect for travel. Good for the environment. You can try out new authors. What's not to like?!! And for $139 you can't beat it!!! LOVE IT!!:D:D

I am a book editor and thought I would never like an electronic reader. Wrong! I love my Kindle. Truthfully, what's the difference between holding a book and holding an e-reader (other than the fact that the e-reader is lighter and your arms don't get tired.....oh, and it holds hundreds of books in one slim package).

I've come to realize that a "book" is really the content, not the physical package it comes in.

I am a library girl myself - I can't imagine what I would have spent over the years with the amount of books that I have read without using the library. But now with my Kindle I have the availability of having a book with me at all times - I never "run out" and have to go searching for something to reread. It holds just like a book with the cover on. No struggling with the size of the font. Perfect for travel. Good for the environment. You can try out new authors. What's not to like?!! And for $139 you can't beat it!!! LOVE IT!!:D:D

Please tell this book lover what the cost of each book is for the kindle or nook or others, and which download 'free' books from the library or elsewhere.

I love the used book sales at the libraries and always take several books per cruise. When I finish the book I give it to my steward - if they don't like the book they can always put it in the crew library or trade it.

I'm just starting the 3rd 'girl with the dragon tatoo book'.

Thanks everyone for all the authors names to check out next time I'm at the library - I know I'll find some new favorites .:)

Nothing like sitting in the shade, hearing the waves, looking up as I turn the page and seeing the seas.............

You can borrow from libraries with Nook or Kobo. The Kobo is much like the Nook. It has wi-fi and the same e-ink.

e-books cost less than their print counterparts and there are frequent sales. I took advantage of a 20% off sale today from Kobo.

I love being able to have a big book without the weight and the often small print. I just finished Ken Follet's Fall of Giants. It is a great way to learn the politics of the early 20th century. It is the first of a trilogy and I am already hooked.

I love the feel of a book' date=' the smell of it. Love to hold it and dogear the pages. Love books that somebody else has handled and read--I consider that a shared experience.

I would never want a book that needs it's battery charged....;)[/quote']

LOL, just be careful. That is what I use to say then my kids got me Kindle for Christmas a couple years ago. I didn't use it for 3-4 months. Then I broke down and used it on a Med cruise just to save me from carrying 5-6 books half way around the world. I have not bought a book since. And I took grief from the kids too for using it. :o

Bill