Star Clipper vs Windstar?

sanibel

We have not actually sailed wiith both. However some relatives of ours, whose opinion we respect, have been on Windstar and they reported favourably - crew, food etc. We have been on the Clippers several times and have another trip booked for next month (can't wait!) - crew, food, ships the whole experience is excellent.

I would say the main difference is that the Windstar Ships are engine powered with auxillary sails, and the Clippers are real sailing ships with auxillary engine power. If you are attracted to the "real sailing" aspect, or you fancy something different, you may wish to give the Clippers a go.

I will be interested to see how others posters compare the two.

We too, loved the day at sea when we were under sails the entire day. At one point someone explained that the ship needed to use the engines getting into and out of port and also to be certain we kept to a schedule, but that they preferred to use the sails when they could.

Having more sailing time is what appeals to us about the Clippers.

We will be interested to hear more.

Suggest you do a search on this thread using the keyword "Windstar". This question comes up regularly. Opinions seem to favor Star Clippers but if you check the Windstar pages you might get a different view. :)

Basically they are just different. Depends on what you like.

Robbie

We have done both and both are great. Windstar is a bit more upscale but Star Clippers is more low key and friendly. For the sailing purist Star Clippers is where you want to be.

Again both are great but we have more loyalty to Star Clippers. Not for the usual cruise ship amenities like food or entertainment but for the fact you are on a real sailing ship.

You can't go wrong with either line. Except for an Alaska cruise this summer and our favorite big cruise ship the QM2, Star Clippers and Windstar are the only cruise lines we will be on in the future.

Hope this helps, enjoy

Thanks for the thoughts. While we loved Windstar and will definitely repeat, we were intrigued by more pure sailing time as the Clippers do and we also like a piano bar which we missed on Windstar.

Definitely think these two lines will be our favorites. Big ship check can be ugly and children running around unsupervised can be too.

YIKES! Children, don't even get me started. I doubt you will see any children on Star Clippers. I forgot to mention two things. There are no elevators and the stairs are quite steep. Star Clippers is not a cruise for anyone who has difficulty walking. Also the gangway to the tenders can be a challenge.

Make sure you do the mast climb. It is very safe and there nothing like it on any cruise ship. Picture yourself in the crows nest 50 feet above the deck sailing downwind. It's the only time I have been able to imagine what it must have been like to be an explorer 500 years ago. It's fantastic!

Happy Sailing

• 1 year later...

We've traveled twice on each and enjoyed each for very different reasons

Star Clippers (Thailand and the Caribbean, going to Greece with them in October) - love their staff and the "casual" aspect of the ship. Captain welcomed Bridge visits. Their Cruise Directors were both awesome and very visible / accessible and personable. I'd rate their food an 8 of 10.

Windstar we've sailed with twice. Once for two weeks, Barbados to Mexico and once for a week Eastern Caribbean. Windstar was more expensive and more Americans were aboard. Our 2 week cruise had a charter group of 40-50 people from Texas for the 2nd week. Though their crew is nice, they aren't as "accessible" as those on S.C., and, I felt more like I had to dress up on Windstar. I think, overall, I enjoyed the food more on WS than on SC, having several excellent meals and wines. Bar tabs were comparable.

We always do our own thing when it comes to shore excursions, so, I can't tell you anything about the ships' offerings.

• 2 months later...

I disagree with the statement that Windstar is more upscale, I'm not sure why people think this. I found things to be the opposite.

We've been on both and prefered Star Clippers, however have nothing bad to say about Windstar(I'd gladly sail her again).

I found Royal Clipper to be a beautiful ship-like her name, I felt like royalty. Windstar was shabby and run down in comparison. Still a nice ship, but after being on Royal Clipper I felt it was a downgrade. We paid more for Star Clippers, but that could be attributed to the season(summer vs. spring) or location(Med vs. Carib)

Food was much better on Star Clippers as well. Also I loved the dining area on Royal Clipper and was not a fan of all the outdoor dining on Windstar.

Rooms were larger on Windstar and there were more evening activities.

Loved sailing, mast climbing and lying in the bow net on Star Clippers.

Both lines are wonderful and don't disappoint. Though I have a preference, you can't go wrong with either.

FYI: Windstar under new ownership, and at least one ship already has been totally refurbed, with others either in the works or soon to be.

Have sailed both Star Clipper Cruises (the Star Clipper, not the Royal) and have sailed Windstar's Wind Star and Wind Surf. We had absolutely no complaints about the accommodations or the condition of any of them. Preferred the ambience of the smaller Star Clipper and Wind Star to the Wind Surf, tho. Surf is "too big" for us small-ship sailors.

• 4 months later...
On one website Star Clippers was rated as 3 stars and Windstar was 5 stars. I couldn't figure out why they were rated so different. Any ideas?

I am puzzled. We are going back on an SC ship for a couple of weeks in Greece soon and will report back.

I think the WS ships have a newer "look" about them. I don't recall any big differences in cabins or staff. The food was more varied in WS for lunch. Loved our CD on SC though.

Another comment on Star Clipper ships:

More european/continental passengers on board for the Caribbean sailings, which we loved! We have met folks from all over Europe, Australia, Canada, etc. Not so on the Windstar ships in the Caribbean, which is our preferred sailing locale (plus Costa Rica and Panama).

Archived