Suggestions for Managing Money (GBPounds and Euros)

nansonagain

As a novice cruiser and a first time private tour participant I need help understanding where to get foreign currency to manage lunches on our own, tips to private tour guides, admission to sites while on hoho bus tours, etc. Does the ship handle currency exchange via the shipboard account or do I need to locate a bank in the various cities to do a credit card transaction to get local currency? I plan to bring Euros from home for our Ring of Kerry land tour that precedes the cruise but I don't feel safe bringing so much cash, foreign or US, to handle the whole cruise too. Thanks for any advice or guidance toward low service-fee or international charges on my credit card.

As a novice cruiser and a first time private tour participant I need help understanding where to get foreign currency to manage lunches on our own, tips to private tour guides, admission to sites while on hoho bus tours, etc. Does the ship handle currency exchange via the shipboard account or do I need to locate a bank in the various cities to do a credit card transaction to get local currency? I plan to bring Euros from home for our Ring of Kerry land tour that precedes the cruise but I don't feel safe bringing so much cash, foreign or US, to handle the whole cruise too. Thanks for any advice or guidance toward low service-fee or international charges on my credit card.

I always get money out from the hole in the wall. Simple and easy really.

Equally, I make sure I have some currency if at all possible for that time before the first cashpoint comes into view.

WD

For cash, the best source is the ATM, make sure your card is setup for international transactions (some aren't), also ask your bank what your daily withdrawl limit is. The ship will do some currency exchanges but charge a nice fee for the service ;). It is always nice (but not always possible) to have at least some currency when you arrive. If we don't, our first stop is an ATM. Many cruise ports will have these very close by.

As for a credit card, we use Capital One as they have no international transaction charges and give a reasonably fair exchange rate.

Kirk

If you do a quick search, you will come up with several threads already dealing with this exact topic.

briefly, you should have some local cash on hand for whatever countries you will be in. Pounds and Euros will go a long way.

When we traveled, we tried to charge as much as possible. You get the best rate of exchange with credit cards. It may not seem like much, but for a long trip, it can add up (the savings, that it). As was said, most CC charge a foreign transaction fee, usually 3% of the purchase and that also can add up, so try and get a CapitalOne CC, as they has NO foreign transaction fees, AND you can earn points for yourself. But remember, you cannot use a CC as an ATM card. If you do, you will be charged for a loan instead of a debit. If you plan on using ATM machines, you will need a debit card either from your bank or another bank. Most people have these cards for these purposes. But again, be aware that there CAN be additional charges for use of other ATM machines. If you can, find a bank that will allow you to use other aTM's with no charge. Very few ATM's in Europe will invoke an additional charge.

Again, try and charge as much as possible which eliminates the need to carry large sums of cash, but get the right cards for your travels.

Cheers

Len

• 2 weeks later...

Some other points:

1. Many overseas ATM machines require a 4-digit PIN. If your's is more you'll need to reset it before you leave.

2. Be sure to tell your bank and your credit card companies that you are traveling overseas. They will put an alert on your account. Otherwise, their built-in security programs will sense a different pattern of use and your card may be temporarily blocked until you call the bank and clear up the situation. Not critical, but who wants to deal with this while on vacation? This is not, I warn you, full-proof, as my bank as blocked my card on occassion even though I called and alerted them in advance.

3. Your bank may have an agreement which allows you to use the ATM's of certain foreign banks without charging an out-of-network ATM fee. You'll still pay the foreign currency conversion fee, but the other fee (usually $5) will be waived. BofA has this arrangement with a number of foreign banks. Call your bank to find out.

4. I have heard that Charles Schwab bank reimburses you for the out-of-network ATM fees from anywhere in the world if you set up a checking account with them.

We are going to the British Isles in May and I plan to get some money exchanged before we leave from my bank for a one time charge.

Then we have a Capitol One card for our foreign charging. I have already gotten a 4 digit pin number and advised them we are traveling abroad.

Or you can get a prepaid debit card and load it up before you go and just use that at the different places.

Archived