Sapphire Beach - is it still a dump?

Clarkk W Griswald

Several years ago, we went to Sapphire Beach. It was a beautiful resort/beach area with an outdoor restaurant/bar and clean restrooms. The last time we went (maybe a year ago), the place had turned into a dump. The restaurant/bar area had closed, the restrooms were disgusting, with broken toilets. Has anyone been there lately? Have conditions improved?

I was just there this last September, the bathrooms were exactly how you described it broken, filthy, no paper products, no soap etc. The beach was beautiful though!

Thanks for the info. This is so disappointing to hear. Sapphire Beach is such a beautiful beach (i think better than Magen's Bay). But, if it's not being taken care of, I won't waste the cab fare to go there.

My mother and I did Magen's last year and didn't enjoy it. Could be the time we went and the fact that the weather was cloudy, but we found it overcrowded and just not what we'd heard about it. The distance between the top of the sand to the edge of the water was so small that with all the lounging chairs, it looked like ppl were on top of each other. But when we went to pick up some people from our tour @ Sapphire on the way back to the cruiseline, we got out and looked around and found it to be more spacious and generally nicer. So we said we'd go there this year. Mind you we didn't check out the toilets and that's a big deciding factor for Mom and I, ewww. Thanks for the info.

The last time we went i believe was in March 2008. The restaurant/bar was closed. There was a small souvieneir shop at the far end of the beach, and they did have overpriced warm sodas and bottled water. The restrooms were the worst i've ever seen. Broken/cracked toilets that didn't flush, no paper products, and the floors were disgusting.

The beach itself is beautiful. But i can't see spending the $11 roundtrip cab fare per person (that's what it was then) if the restroom conditions haven't improved. That is definitly a deal breaker for us.

The last time we went i believe was in March 2008. The restaurant/bar was closed. There was a small souvieneir shop at the far end of the beach, and they did have overpriced warm sodas and bottled water. The restrooms were the worst i've ever seen. Broken/cracked toilets that didn't flush, no paper products, and the floors were disgusting.

The beach itself is beautiful. But i can't see spending the $11 roundtrip cab fare per person (that's what it was then) if the restroom conditions haven't improved. That is definitly a deal breaker for us.

I'm hearing so many mixed responses re food, some who recently got back said there was food and waitresses walking by taking orders, then others are saying there is no food only food stands. I honestly don't even remember eating at Magen's to be honest, but I know the option was there. Someone in St. Thomas just confirmed that the cab ride is $10 per person each way! That's $40 between my mother and I!

Archived