Any changes since no automatic tipping??

bazzaw

I am wondering if any of those regular cruisers, who have recently done a P&O AUS cruise where the automatic tipping has been taken off, have noticed any "difference"??

I have cruised on P&O AUS when there was automatic gratuities (which we left in place) and have now been on P&O UK ships where tipping amounts are "recommended" by P&O and envelopes are left out in the cabin on the last night.

Two different systems - and I can't really say that I noticed any difference in the staff. Just wondering. Next cruise is on QM2 where automatic tipping is done.

Barry

I am wondering if any of those regular cruisers, who have recently done a P&O AUS cruise where the automatic tipping has been taken off, have noticed any "difference"??

I have cruised on P&O AUS when there was automatic gratuities (which we left in place) and have now been on P&O UK ships where tipping amounts are "recommended" by P&O and envelopes are left out in the cabin on the last night.

Two different systems - and I can't really say that I noticed any difference in the staff. Just wondering. Next cruise is on QM2 where automatic tipping is done.

Barry

Our first non-autotipping cruise on P&O was at Christmas, and we noticed absolutely no difference in service levels etc. P&O Aus don't recommend amounts for tipping, but they do now encourage you to personally tip staff at your own discretion in lieu of the auto-tipping.

We cruised on the very first P&O cruise with out auto tipping was 02/10/2010. only thing we found was the prices of drinks and tours and the on board shopping went up a l little, some prices went up more then others.

We cruised on the very first P&O cruise with out auto tipping was 02/10/2010. only thing we found was the prices of drinks and tours and the on board shopping went up a l little, some prices went up more then others.....

These things normally adjust themselves as CPI increases (as it has in AUstralia) the produce, etc used for food you would imagine any cruise out of AU would use food from the country. Prices have also increased there over the last few years, same too as ingredients.

We cruised in late November without auto-tipping and like Skyrules and others have said ... absolutely no difference whatsoever in the level of service, etc - if was, as usual FANTASTIC.

We've noticed the prices increase somewhat every cruise (not that we cruise THAT often) ... and really, it's no more than what prices probably increase at land based holiday destinations ... and like Drelix - am quite sure this is more reflective of other issues - and IMO not anything to do with the tipping arrangements.

We still tipped our wonderful cabins steward and waiters ... they were all fantastic! :)

I think you ment itachi lou lou.

But thinking of the prices still they are about what you pay in a pub or club so its still not that bad like 2.75 for a can of drink I have paid for more then that at a club and 7 ish dollars for a beer around the same place so i think it has to do with both auto tipping and other prices going up like also shipping it to the ship.

I think you ment itachi lou lou.

But thinking of the prices still they are about what you pay in a pub or club so its still not that bad like 2.75 for a can of drink I have paid for more then that at a club and 7 ish dollars for a beer around the same place so i think it has to do with both auto tipping and other prices going up like also shipping it to the ship.

Oh sorry Drelix, I was really referring to your comment "I noticed the prices went up a bit to but I did not think it was cause of no automatic tipping" - mainly because i just thought it was normal inflation :rolleyes: rather than an dirrect result of the removal of auto-tipping.

I don't think the prices are really that bad on P&O ... certainly doesn't stop me buying a drink ... or two ... or ....:p

Good to hear so many voices of reason lately :) You're right, the prices are consistent with land-based pubs and clubs, and certainly better than most hotel bars.

Also good to hear that service quality hasn't been affected - not that I expected this, but it's a nice reassurance all the same.

Good to hear so many voices of reason lately :) You're right, the prices are consistent with land-based pubs and clubs, and certainly better than most hotel bars.

Also good to hear that service quality hasn't been affected - not that I expected this, but it's a nice reassurance all the same.

I agree . We used to think the wine charges were a bit dear on a cruise,

not that it stopped us from having one or three,

but just lately , have had occassions to go out to ,

shall we say "smart or up market restaurants" ,

both here and in Australia,

and boy , do they know how to rock in the charges.

Archived