Alternatives to Formal Nights?!

EmmyJ

Hi, I will be going on my first ever cruise in 7 weeks. I'm not so keen on the whole 'formal night thing', probably because I don't understand it but also because I don't fancy getting really dressed up. I like wearing dresses and my partner will wear a shirt and tie but is that enough? Anyway what are the alternatives if any for dinner? Does everyone on the ship dress up? Are all the other restuarants 'formal' as well? Thanks x

Hi, I will be going on my first ever cruise in 7 weeks. I'm not so keen on the whole 'formal night thing', probably because I don't understand it but also because I don't fancy getting really dressed up. I like wearing dresses and my partner will wear a shirt and tie but is that enough? Anyway what are the alternatives if any for dinner? Does everyone on the ship dress up? Are all the other restuarants 'formal' as well? Thanks x

Just a warning since I see you're a relatively new poster - this is a hotly contested topic on here, ranging from "I'll wear whatever I want" to "Anyone not in a tux or gown should be shot." :) That being said, the Windjammer is a very safe bet for formal nights if you don't want to be dressed up, but I personally feel that a dress for ladies and a tie for men is fine.

Have a wonderful cruise!!

On our recent 7 night cruise on Serenade there were 2 formal nights. We didn't dress up at all for the first formal night...just typical MDR attire of black dress pants and a caribbean shirt for my DH and some kind of nicer than a t-shirt top for me. We ate in the MDR and did not feel at all out of place. The second formal night I wore a dress but not one that anyone would consider formal and my DH wore a suit. We have decided however, that we are not doing formal night anymore, EVER. We don't enjoy getting dressed up and have only done it in the past because my MIL really loves formal night pictures. We told her no more...after 4 cruises of formal nights that's enough for us. It's just not fun to us. More power to you if you enjoy it but it's not for us. And as long as the cruise line doesn't stop us, we will continue to eat in the MDR in our "nice enough" clothes!!!

We also do not like getting dressed up on vacation - we go to either the Windjammer or to a specialty restaurant usually. We have on occasion gone to the MDR and I have worn a dressy blouse with slacks and hubby has worn a Hawaiian type shirt and khaki's. I think you in a dress and your hubby in a shirt and tie should be fine - enjoy!:)

Would it be appropriate to schedule one of the specialty restaurants on formal night? I got the idea that people will be in formal attire there as well.

Formal Night is observed in the specialty restaurants as well as the Main Dining Room. It is perfectly acceptable to dress up for dinner there, or you don't have to at all. The dress code for specialty restaurants is smart casual at all times. Having said that, we dressed for dinner at Chops on FN, and saw that some did not.

You can dress up for dinner and change back into casual wear for the remainder of your evening. You do not have to stay dressed up all night long, but you will see others who choose to do so.

So a 13 year old boy in a button-down shirt and blazer would be ok. I don't want to buy him a suit right now, he grows out of things before we get home from the store.

Thank you, I wasn't planning on trying the specialty restaurants this trip as its our first but I think I just found the solution to my problem. Dress pants and a jacket or dress shirt for ladies I guess would be ok?

I was able to book a 6:30 for Portifino!

So a 13 year old boy in a button-down shirt and blazer would be ok. I don't want to buy him a suit right now, he grows out of things before we get home from the store.

Thank you, I wasn't planning on trying the specialty restaurants this trip as its our first but I think I just found the solution to my problem. Dress pants and a jacket or dress shirt for ladies I guess would be ok?

I was able to book a 6:30 for Portifino!

This would all be fine in the MDR too.

Emmy, you really MUST come over to our Roll Call! We are a very friendly bunch, and you are assured of only kind and friendly responses!

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1189609

:)

I have been wondering about this topic. Our cruise in May '12 will be our first ever, and I'd like to kind of have the 'whole experience,' including dressing a little fancy for at least one of the formal nights. But I'm wondering exactly how formal people get? Like are there women whose dresses would not look out of place on the red carpet on Oscar night? Because I'm definitely not going that far. I'm not going to look like Scarlett O'Hara or someone from Footloose prom, either, but I'm really wanting to find something really beautiful and elegant. (Too bad I don't have a spouse to force into a tux alongside me! :D but I'll settle for aggravating the heck out of my kids by making them snazz it up a little!)

I had said on another board I was going to find the perfect little black dress, but then I started looking at evening dresses in my favorite color- yellow! :D So beautiful! I may wear a yellow dress one formal night and red the other one, because I look smashing in red, if I do say so myself! And I'll have just finished losing a truckload of excess weight, so I am going to enjoy dressing to express! Oh yeah.

I have been wondering about this topic. Our cruise in May '12 will be our first ever, and I'd like to kind of have the 'whole experience,' including dressing a little fancy for at least one of the formal nights. But I'm wondering exactly how formal people get? Like are there women whose dresses would not look out of place on the red carpet on Oscar night? Because I'm definitely not going that far. I'm not going to look like Scarlett O'Hara or someone from Footloose prom, either, but I'm really wanting to find something really beautiful and elegant. (Too bad I don't have a spouse to force into a tux alongside me! :D but I'll settle for aggravating the heck out of my kids by making them snazz it up a little!)

I had said on another board I was going to find the perfect little black dress, but then I started looking at evening dresses in my favorite color- yellow! :D So beautiful! I may wear a yellow dress one formal night and red the other one, because I look smashing in red, if I do say so myself! And I'll have just finished losing a truckload of excess weight, so I am going to enjoy dressing to express! Oh yeah.

The "average" female cruiser will be in a cocktail type dress, usually knee length. Some will be a little more formal and some will be a little more casual (and some a LOT more casual). You will probably see some teens and college students wearing a prom or formal dress to get a second wear out of them.

Without seeing the dresses you are thinking of I think yellow and red dresses would be great!

According to RC's website, the dress suggestions for the specialty restaurants is smart causual. On formal evenings, formal attire is appropriate but not required.

Q: What is the dress attire for Specialty Restaurants & Mystery Dinner Theater?

A: We suggest smart casual attire - jackets for men, dresses or pantsuits for women. On formal evenings onboard, formal attire is also appropriate in the restaurant; which includes suits and ties or tuxedos for men and cocktail dresses for women.

On my Serenade cruise last year, my mom and I did not feel like bringing formal attire. We ate at Chops one night and Portofino the other. I wore a nice Sunday-church type dress and my mom wore a dressy pantsuit. There were a few people dressed in formal attire, but most were in nice but not formal clothes.

What we had on probably would have been okay for the MDR, but it wasn't in accordance with the posted attire guide. We stopped by the dining room to say hello to our tablemates, and one of the men was wearing shorts and Hawaiian print shirt, like he did every other night in the dining room. Formal onboard doesn't seem to mean traditional "formal" anymore.

Archived