Renting a car in juneau

messymarie

Google "Rent-A-Wreck" - they have offices near downtown, within walking distance if no mobility issues, I'm told. I wouldn't waste the $30 or so to get out to the airport to pick up a car when one is closer by and gets great reviews. They are not "wrecks" - just older vehicles w/more mileage on them, but I understand they are clean and in good running order. Check out the Ports of Call boards, Alaska, and ask the question there. Tee Harbor is a local and she will be able to provide more info.

Rent a Wreck in Juneau now has a downtown office during cruise season. I do not believe they pick up at the dock any longer. I spoke with them last week and they did not offer to pick me up. They just told me where there downtown office was located.

We are renting from them but we have to be at the airport for a tour at 9:00 a.m. and both Rent a Wreck and the tour company said it would be cutting it too close. So we will have to cab it over to the airport in the morning. Rent a Wreck will pick us up from the airport after our tour and take us to their off airport location to pick up the car. Then we will be able to drop it off at their downtown office afterhours. Works for us, although I wish we could pick up downtown. Just don't want to risk missing the tour flight.

Update to my previous post:

I just got my confirmation from Rent a Wreck. Here is the info for cruise rentals:

"Rent A Wreck is happy to announce the opening of our satellite location near the port in downtown Juneau for the convenience of our customers arriving and departing on cruise ships this tour season.

Our satellite office is located at 101 Mill Street, three blocks south of the the AJ Dock (shown as dock A in the travel brochures) and one mile south of the Alaska Steamship Dock (shown as Dock E in the brochures). You may catch a taxi from your ship to our office, or weather permitting, the walk would be beautiful. At the end of your rental, you will return your vehicle to that same location before 8:00 p.m. and taxi or walk back to your ship."

I did just call and ask about the 8:00 p.m drop off time since my cruise ship is docked until 10:00 p.m. at night. I was told that we could drop the care off up until 9:00 p.m., but to remind them of this when I pick up the car.

...but where are you planning on going with this car?

Juneau is so walkable - If you want to go to Mendenhall, the local bus tour companies that leave from the pier are incredibly cheap and so much less hassle than a getting and returning a car.

...but where are you planning on going with this car?

Juneau is so walkable - If you want to go to Mendenhall, the local bus tour companies that leave from the pier are incredibly cheap and so much less hassle than a getting and returning a car.

I don't know about the OP, but some things we are considering:

Shrine of St. Therese

Glacier Gardens

Jensen-Olsen Arboretum

Auke Bay Harbor, Lena Point and Tee Harbor

So, if I take a cruise and land in juneau with NCL....how close is that to 101 Mill street?

I will do further research, but thought someone might know...

Perhaps ask on the Alaska board where the NCL ships tend to dock. Below I have posted the complete directions and map they sent me. This will give you an idea of where the various docks are and where Rent a Wreck is in relation to the docks.

RentaWreckMap.jpg

Archived