1st Cruise Next Week

ShootinBlanks

Hello everyone, just wanted to say I really appreciate this board as it has helped us tremendously. We are a mid 30's couple going on our first cruise next week on the Pearl to the Eastern Caribbean. I've always avoided cruises as I've heard they can be crowded and congested but we got a great deal on the trip and it has excellent stops. We upgraded to a balcony room which after reading earlier today it sounds like we got a great room....10th floor AFT. We had no idea that it had a bigger balcony so it was a very pleasant surprise. I have a couple questions and am open to any suggestions anyone may offer.

First of all, roughly how much is a taxi from Fort Lauderdale to Miami (Sofitel Hotel)? The flights were a lot cheaper so we chose to fly into FLL. I had looked at a private transfer with SAS Shuttle but the pricing is based on three people and there are only two of us travelling. I can't imagine the taxi being too expensive but who knows.

I know this has been written about over and over but is it possible to purchase alcohol either in the duty free shop or on any of the stops and have it in your room? I'm kind of a rum snob and Bacardi definitely won't work but regular Captain Morgan would work if needed. The $63 a bottle is excessive but well worth the cost for the convenience of enjoying a beverage on my balcony. If need be I can attempt to sneak a bit on in my rum runner but I'd rather not go this route unless absolutely necessary.

We are on a pretty tight budget this trip unfortunately but we want to enjoy the ship and our stops. I like to snorkel as much as I can and my wife is going to give it her best effort this trip. She has tried numerous times in Mexico but never was comfortable. She went and got a well fitting mask the other day so this is the trip she gets it down! Here's what we are thinking on the stops but please give me any suggestions.

Samana DR: Either going with the flow or finding a decent place to snorkel. The excursion to Cayo Levantado is also an option here.

St. Thomas: We definitely want to hit Coki Beach for some relaxation and some snorkeling. We had planned on visiting the aquarium but after reading some reviews we may pass. Depending on our time schedule we may head to Saphire Beach as well. I'd love to visit St. John but I'm sure St. Thomas has plenty to offer us so we will stay put.

Tortola: We are pretty undecided on what to do here. We thought about taking the $15 open air taxi tour but there are a few stops that we are also interested in. Snorkeling at Norman Island or Brewer's Bay is tempting. I know Virgin Gorda is a very popular spot but I just can't see leaving one island that we've never been to and going to visit another. Virgin Gorda can be on our next trip itinerary :-)

Great Stirrup Cay: Last stop on the trip so relaxing on the beach and maybe getting some snorkeling in sounds great.

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions you may offer. Really looking forward to this trip and some time away from work, school and the kids.

Welcome to CC! I see you are also a Hoosier. We are also going on the Pearl next week, too. We have a meet & greet set up, see my link in my signature for more info on the Roll Call. Check the last page as it has moved around a bit but it is on Monday. (A Week from today!)

...I've always avoided cruises as I've heard they can be crowded and congested but we got a great deal on the trip and it has excellent stops. We upgraded to a balcony room which after reading earlier today it sounds like we got a great room....10th floor AFT. We had no idea that it had a bigger balcony so it was a very pleasant surprise. Sounds great - we are on the 9th below you. A lot of the CC folks are on the 11th. As for crowds - my limited experience is that we could avoid all the crowds just by shifting a few hours earlier.

First of all, roughly how much is a taxi from Fort Lauderdale to Miami (Sofitel Hotel)? The flights were a lot cheaper so we chose to fly into FLL. I had looked at a private transfer with SAS Shuttle but the pricing is based on three people and there are only two of us traveling. I can't imagine the taxi being too expensive but who knows. I know its $100 from Miami to West Palm (20 years ago - missed the train) I would bet you are looking at at least $50 for a cab. I think if you look at our meet and greet - there are some seasoned veterans coming from FLL on shuttles.

I know this has been written about over and over but is it possible to purchase alcohol either in the duty free shop or on any of the stops and have it in your room? Not until Saturday after 7pm. I'm kind of a rum snob and Bacardi definitely won't work but regular Captain Morgan would work if needed....

...Really looking forward to this trip and some time away from work, school and the kids. yep!!!

Thanks for the quick replies. Can I get a bar setup after arrival on the ship or do I need to handle that ahead of time?

Bar setups have to be ordered in advance.

Don't forget to purchase a future cruise reward on the ship, because you will most likely be addicted to cruising once you start....and the best way to get over Post Cruise Depression is to book another cruise. :)

SAS has a great reputation. I just scheduled them for April (from FLL hotel to Miami cruise port). Their price was very reasonable and response to my request quick and complete. I would assume that they will be picking up more than just you two at the airport in their van if you used them. They might also make a swing by a hotel for a pickup on the way. We'll be on the Pearl in April again. Love the Great Outdoors, Spinaker lounge, buffet...well, just about the whole thing. Caution, you will be addicted. Don't forget to buy the $250 cruise credit package while on board. You'll get an immediate $100 credit for your present cruise, plus a full $250 deposit for your next cruise within 4 years.

Thanks for the quick replies. Can I get a bar setup after arrival on the ship or do I need to handle that ahead of time?

You need to e-mail them as soon as possible. I don't know if you can still get this done as it may be too close to sailing. I would try

If your leaving 3/6 on the Pearl check out our Roll Call -

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1042279&page=16

I arranged a bar setup (Captain Morgan) a few weeks ago. I'm not sure if you'll have time now but you can try. $63.00 is kinda steep but I think it's still cheaper than individual drinks.

We are using SAS out of FLL. I told them it was just the 2 of us and they didn't seemed concerned.

I was debating between Coki and Sapphire. I've decided on Sapphire. Most of the reviews were fairly positive and the snorkeling should be good.

We are in an aft facing balcony also - first for us. Enjoy your cruise :)

First of all, roughly how much is a taxi from Fort Lauderdale to Miami (Sofitel Hotel)? The flights were a lot cheaper so we chose to fly into FLL. I had looked at a private transfer with SAS Shuttle but the pricing is based on three people and there are only two of us travelling. I can't imagine the taxi being too expensive but who knows.

A taxi will cost you as much or more as a private car ($75-$90 each way), so you might as well get the private car. I recommend Larry's Limos. Personally, I would stay in Ft Lauderdale rather than Miami because the hotels are less expensive, it's nicer and there is more to do. If you are going to stay in Miami, though, I would rent a car from Alamo at FLL, drop at MIA then take their shuttle to the POM. When I was there at the beginning of February they were planning to move the shuttle service from MIA to a Downtown location and may have already done so.

Samana DR: Either going with the flow or finding a decent place to snorkel. The excursion to Cayo Levantado is also an option here.

Not much to flow with in Samana. It 's very poor and children follow you around begging for money.

St. Thomas: We definitely want to hit Coki Beach for some relaxation and some snorkeling. We had planned on visiting the aquarium but after reading some reviews we may pass. Depending on our time schedule we may head to Saphire Beach as well. I'd love to visit St. John but I'm sure St. Thomas has plenty to offer us so we will stay put.

If you want to go with the flow St Thomas would the the place to do it.

Great Stirrup Cay: Last stop on the trip so relaxing on the beach and maybe getting some snorkeling in sounds great.

Well, that's good because other than eating that is all there is to do on Great Stirrup Cay.

A taxi will cost you as much or more as a private car ($75-$90 each way), so you might as well get the private car. I recommend Larry's Limos. Personally, I would stay in Ft Lauderdale rather than Miami because the hotels are less expensive, it's nicer and there is more to do. If you are going to stay in Miami, though, I would rent a car from Alamo at FLL, drop at MIA then take their shuttle to the POM

Thanks for the link. My wife may be up for a few hour ride around South Florida. We already booked our hotel through NCL....staying at Sofitel Miami.

We booked the air ourselves as they were alot higher. I drug my feet a bit on the hotel and just booked when I was on the phone with them...lol. Sofitel looks like a nice place and we are only there for a night anyway.

Yeah, it's fine, but they do charge $9 for overnight parking if you have a rental car. It's located in the Blue Lagoon area which is a corporate area and very spread out. There's not much in the way of shopping for last minute items or restaurants you can walk to.

The only thing I wanted to add is that Samana is not the greatest place to just "go with the flow". If you are looking for a nice relaxing beach day, Cayo Levantado is terrific. Sign up early for NCL Cayo Levantado tours so that you can get on one of the earlier tenders, and you might even look into the "Swimming with the Sea Lions" tour if you want to splurge. Have you signed up with the roll call for your cruise? they might be arranging group tours to other beaches in Samana that you could join, but otherwise it's not an very easy place to just "look for a beach".

Have a great cruise!

Robin

Help me understand this. I'm allowed to bring wine aboard but it comes along with a $15 uncorking fee? Why not charge an uncorking fee for hard alcohol as well? I would gladly pay $15 or even $25 to bring a nice bottle of rum to enjoy...oh well. If you are reading NCL please take this into consideration :)

Well we can share a drink maybe... I ordered some Glenfiddich for the room.:cool: Deck 9 aft... As for the hotel - I booked the Hyatt Summerville (at MIA) for ~$200 incl taxes. Some of the perks are free shuttle to hotel, free shuttle within 2 miles, and I think port shuttle with some encouragement. Also a full hot breakfast buffet and full suite. (With a full kitchen - which I don't need) I figure I save $45 on cab fare and $40 on breakfast, as compared to the low end motels. I plan to knock on the POM door at 11am in six days!

Well we can share a drink maybe... I ordered some Glenfiddich for the room.:cool: Deck 9 aft... As for the hotel - I booked the Hyatt Summerville (at MIA) for ~$200 incl taxes. Some of the perks are free shuttle to hotel, free shuttle within 2 miles, and I think port shuttle with some encouragement. Also a full hot breakfast buffet and full suite. (With a full kitchen - which I don't need) I figure I save $45 on cab fare and $40 on breakfast, as compared to the low end motels. I plan to knock on the POM door at 11am in six days!

We paid $198 for the Sofitel which included breakfast and transportation to the port as well. I emailed SAS for transportation to the hotel and back to the airport on the way back. If I can save a few bucks on transportation that is always a plus....if I didn't wait too long to try and book.

Hello everyone, just wanted to say I really appreciate this board as it has helped us tremendously. We are a mid 30's couple going on our first cruise next week on the Pearl to the Eastern Caribbean. I've always avoided cruises as I've heard they can be crowded and congested but we got a great deal on the trip and it has excellent stops. We upgraded to a balcony room which after reading earlier today it sounds like we got a great room....10th floor AFT. We had no idea that it had a bigger balcony so it was a very pleasant surprise. I have a couple questions and am open to any suggestions anyone may offer.

I know this has been written about over and over but is it possible to purchase alcohol either in the duty free shop or on any of the stops and have it in your room? I'm kind of a rum snob and Bacardi definitely won't work but regular Captain Morgan would work if needed. The $63 a bottle is excessive but well worth the cost for the convenience of enjoying a beverage on my balcony. If need be I can attempt to sneak a bit on in my rum runner but I'd rather not go this route unless absolutely necessary.

We are on a pretty tight budget this trip unfortunately but we want to enjoy the ship and our stops. I like to snorkel as much as I can and my wife is going to give it her best effort this trip. She has tried numerous times in Mexico but never was comfortable. She went and got a well fitting mask the other day so this is the trip she gets it down! Here's what we are thinking on the stops but please give me any suggestions.

Tortola: We are pretty undecided on what to do here. We thought about taking the $15 open air taxi tour but there are a few stops that we are also interested in. Snorkeling at Norman Island or Brewer's Bay is tempting. I know Virgin Gorda is a very popular spot but I just can't see leaving one island that we've never been to and going to visit another. Virgin Gorda can be on our next trip itinerary :-)

Thanks ahead of time for any suggestions you may offer. Really looking forward to this trip and some time away from work, school and the kids.

I think the taxi is about $30 but someone will be able to answer you better, I haven't done that for years.

Yes, the cost is a bit pricey for booze but it is still cheaper than buying the drinks one by one and it is worth the cost of have a drink on the balcony. I am not going to suggest Rum runners because I have am issue with not supporting the ship, but yes, you will probably be able to get run on using the runners.

If I were doing Samana again I would stick with an NCL tour: Tortola I think the baths in Virgin Gorta are a must, but a tour of the island sounds good. If you are on a budget, just do the island tour and save the baths for a later date.

GSC, do your snorkeling there.

Now, let me add, the Pearl is an awesome ship.

Nita

Maybe you should invite him over for breakfast since the Hyatt Summerfield Suites and the Sofitel are across the street from each other.

I think the taxi is about $30 but someone will be able to answer you better, I haven't done that for years.

Yes, the cost is a bit pricey for booze but it is still cheaper than buying the drinks one by one and it is worth the cost of have a drink on the balcony. I am not going to suggest Rum runners because I have am issue with not supporting the ship, but yes, you will probably be able to get run on using the runners.

If I were doing Samana again I would stick with an NCL tour: Tortola I think the baths in Virgin Gorta are a must, but a tour of the island sounds good. If you are on a budget, just do the island tour and save the baths for a later date.

GSC, do your snorkeling there.

Now, let me add, the Pearl is an awesome ship.

Nita

Thanks for the response Nita. I do think we'll save Gorda for a future trip. Like I said, I just can't see leaving an island I've never been on to explore another. We are pretty laid back people so we'll make the best out of almost any situation. I am looking forward to our trip that is for sure. I'm trying to keep my expectations low so I'm not disappointed but I'm sure we will have a great time. I think we will really enjoy our larger balcony!

Nita...

I think it's been more than "a few years" since taxi fare from FLL to Miami was $30. It might have been that low in 1967. :eek:

Maybe you should invite him over for breakfast since the Hyatt Summerfield Suites and the Sofitel are across the street from each other.

Yes they are.... :D doh! Oh well , I bet there are a lot of POM customers there on a Saturday night...

Archived