I dont get why people....

chach123

OP, since you started this thread, and therefore seem interested in opinions; I think a lot of people here are not so much "stressed out" by what others wear in the MDR, but many of us have "standards", ie good taste. Whether that includes or doesnt include, flip flops, baseball caps ( worn forward, backward, or sideways ), jeans, shorts, bare midriffs, it all comes down to what "We", the posters here consider good manners.

I will admit things are changing in that regard, and dress in the MDR is no longer as formal as it once was. ( I have too many formal dresses in my closet, that I no longer bring on cruises, but cant part with ).

The thing is, a lot of folks come on here, and ask others for opinions, ie; is it ok to wear jeans in the MDR, is it ok to wear flip flops etc.....So one can expect other posters to respond. The people who ask seem to be honestly curious, and are asking because they may not know what is the right thing to do.

Thank goodness that there are some who do want to dress appropriately in the MDR, and have the sense to ask beforehand, if they are uncertain.

I don't give a fig what everyone else wears, but I can spend weeks happily hunting down my new cruise wardrobe! Just ask my husband! :D

Half the fun of the cruise is all the planning and shopping beforehand!

I'm with you, Penny!! I don't care what other people wear, but I sure do enjoy what I wear!! And I love the BF in a TUX!! LOL

Long long ago, when I was a kid, my dad would take me to hockey games at the Montreal Forum.

Pretty much all the men would be wearing ties with suits and hats. Women wore dresses.

This was for a hockey game!

Times change mostly for the better. Still sometimes I miss the formal outfits.

I sometimes miss the formal speech and old fashioned politeness of the early 60's.

You can't go back and the good old days weren't always. Still I don't remember seeing so much flesh

(often covered with tattoos) back then.

Long long ago, when I was a kid, my dad would take me to hockey games at the Montreal Forum.

Pretty much all the men would be wearing ties with suits and hats. Women wore dresses.

This was for a hockey game!

Times change mostly for the better. Still sometimes I miss the formal outfits.

I sometimes miss the formal speech and old fashioned politeness of the early 60's.

You can't go back and the good old days weren't always. Still I don't remember seeing so much flesh

(often covered with tattoos) back then.

We are from the same era richstowe....! And I agree, we cant go back there, or then, and we just have to go forward, "times they are a changing ".

I pride myself on tolerance, and moving on with the "new ways", but I have to admit to a fondness for the old formal cruise etiquette. Just me.:)

IMO - plain and simple: Respect.

For myself - I have a "stomach" made of iron. Not much grosses me out if you will. But I know several people you lose their appetite when they not just smell but see unpleasant things. Think about it. Would you enjoy eating next to someone you had dried snot across their nose and cheeks and food stuck in their hair? (Classic shot of a toddler after dinner by the way) Most would not and for some, they find this nauseating. Likewise, many a man and yes, even women, have hairy toes and unkept toenails. Feet are not pretty and some find them disgusting as well.

The question: "why shouldn't he be able to wear his flip flops in the MDR - after all it is his vacation?" The answer: Dress codes are there for a reason. Mainly, I beleive to create an atmosphere of common respect so that the majority may have a pleasant experience.

Well don't look at feet then. Well don't look at the accident on the side of the road. Hard not to notice in both scenerios. It's called human nature to look - especially at that which sticks out.

I just watched a thing about the dress for the Royal wedding. And they will be wearing hats indoors *gasp. Darn those british people wearing hats indoors, don't they know it disrupts the entire event? :D

What do all the fancy dress people think of that? ;)

The fancy people think you don't understand the difference between men and women. Men do not, and I am sure will not, wear hats inside. Women do.

IMO - plain and simple: Respect.

For myself - I have a "stomach" made of iron. Not much grosses me out if you will. But I know several people you lose their appetite when they not just smell but see unpleasant things. Think about it. Would you enjoy eating next to someone you had dried snot across their nose and cheeks and food stuck in their hair? (Classic shot of a toddler after dinner by the way) Most would not and for some, they find this nauseating. Likewise, many a man and yes, even women, have hairy toes and unkept toenails. Feet are not pretty and some find them disgusting as well.

The question: "why shouldn't he be able to wear his flip flops in the MDR - after all it is his vacation?" The answer: Dress codes are there for a reason. Mainly, I beleive to create an atmosphere of common respect so that the majority may have a pleasant experience.

Well don't look at feet then. Well don't look at the accident on the side of the road. Hard not to notice in both scenerios. It's called human nature to look - especially at that which sticks out.

It is a SUGGESTED Dress code not a REQUIRED dress code. I despise hypocrites as I am sure most people do, so your disgusted by hair on the toes but not by hair on the head? I chose to shave my head as I am disgusted by hair on the head during dinner. Why? Feet are under the table and out of view but hair on the head is what falls into your food and peoples food sitting next to you. Hairaphobes have always made me laugh as they are the ones with the biggest head of hair yet shave the rest of there body. Hypocrisy I tell ya!;)

The fancy people think you don't understand the difference between men and women. Men do not, and I am sure will not, wear hats inside. Women do.

Yes Men will be wearing hats inside for the wedding so once again hypocrisy. As a army veteran hats can be worn inside.

It is a SUGGESTED Dress code not a REQUIRED dress code. I despise hypocrites as I am sure most people do, so your disgusted by hair on the toes but not by hair on the head? I chose to shave my head as I am disgusted by hair on the head during dinner. Why? Feet are under the table and out of view but hair on the head is what falls into your food and peoples food sitting next to you. Hairaphobes have always made me laugh as they are the ones with the biggest head of hair yet shave the rest of there body. Hypocrisy I tell ya!;)

Not me - I have a stomach of iron.

I don't understand where you got the idea that it is a SUGGESTED dress code not a REQUIRED dress code. Seems like splitting hairs. Sorry for the pun. :eek: I don't see either of those words used in Carnivals dining dress code.

From their FAQ:

Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

Yes Men will be wearing hats inside for the wedding so once again hypocrisy. As a army veteran hats can be worn inside.

reference please? And uniforms are a different thing. Although I thought that this was rather the rule:

The cap is part of our uniform. We must always wear our cap while outdoors or while under arms, when carrying a rifle or wearing a saber.

Otherwise, we are not supposed to wear our hats indoors. Soldiers should develop the habit of removing their caps upon entering a building.

In some formal occasions however, it has been a custom to wear the cap during the duration of the activity. A fine example is during military graduation ceremonies.

I don't understand where you got the idea that it is a SUGGESTED dress code not a REQUIRED dress code. Seems like splitting hairs. Sorry for the pun. :eek: I don't see either of those words used in Carnivals dining dress code.

From their FAQ:

Both dress codes for the dining rooms are described below.

Cruise Casual Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Sport slacks, khakis, jeans (no cut-offs), dress shorts (long), collared sport shirts; Ladies - Casual dresses, casual skirts or pants and blouses, summer dresses, Capri pants, dress shorts, jeans (no cut-offs).

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Casual dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, basketball shorts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men and baseball hats.

Cruise Elegant Dining Dress Code: Gentlemen - Dress slacks, dress shirts. We also suggest a sport coat. If you wish to wear suits and ties or tuxedos, by all means we invite you to do so. Ladies - Cocktail dresses, pantsuits, elegant skirts and blouses; if you‘d like to show off your evening gowns, that's great too!

Not permitted in the dining room during the Cruise Elegant dinner for ladies and gentlemen: shorts, gym shorts, T-shirts, beach flip-flops, bathing suit attire, jeans, cut-off jeans, sleeveless shirts for men, sportswear, and baseball hats.

The red parts are the only possible requirements and since Carnival doesn't enforce them, they obviously aren't.

The fashion police love to toss out "respect" but that again is their problem. They can huff and puff all they want but have no authority nor ability to force their will upon others. The way the toss out insults only erodes any base of respect that they might have. Legends in their own minds, are they.

reference please? And uniforms are a different thing. Although I thought that this was rather the rule:

The cap is part of our uniform. We must always wear our cap while outdoors or while under arms, when carrying a rifle or wearing a saber.

Otherwise, we are not supposed to wear our hats indoors. Soldiers should develop the habit of removing their caps upon entering a building.

In some formal occasions however, it has been a custom to wear the cap during the duration of the activity. A fine example is during military graduation ceremonies.

Once again, it is not the military, it is the Fun Ship. :)

Once again, it is not the military, it is the Fun Ship. :)

This was in reference to the Royal Wedding. I would assume that few will be wearing their uniform except on formal night- but in fact, uniform is uniform and the rules for wearing the uniform do not distinguish between cruise ship and on base. but I am sure that our armed forces know those rules far better than I.

The red parts are the only possible requirements and since Carnival doesn't enforce them, they obviously aren't.

The fashion police love to toss out "respect" but that again is their problem. They can huff and puff all they want but have no authority nor ability to force their will upon others. The way the toss out insults only erodes any base of respect that they might have. Legends in their own minds, are they.

For me it is frustrating. If there are published codes (rules) then they should be enforced. If Carnival does not wish to enforce them, then they should re-write them or do away with standards completely. Here is the relevant definition of the word code from the Oxford dictionary:

a systematic collection of laws or regulations:

a set of conventions governing behavior or activity in a particular sphere:

a dress code

a set of rules and standards adhered to by a society, class, or individual:

a stern code of honor

I don’t have much of a dog in this hunt, I just wish things were better defined and enforced because a code unenforced is no code at all.

For me it is frustrating. If there are published codes (rules) then they should be enforced. If Carnival does not wish to enforce them, then they should re-write them or do away with standards completely. Here is the relevant definition of the word code from the Oxford dictionary:

a systematic collection of laws or regulations:

a set of conventions governing behavior or activity in a particular sphere:

a dress code

a set of rules and standards adhered to by a society, class, or individual:

a stern code of honor

I don’t have much of a dog in this hunt, I just wish things were better defined and enforced because a code unenforced is no code at all.

Piano- this is the same board which goes on for pages about smuggling. And you are looking for consistency on what to wear in the dining room? The fact is there is no code any longer- Anything goes. Or nearly anything, since nobody "enforces" anything, or only the very most egregious behavior. And looking for anything else will probably explode your head.

This was in reference to the Royal Wedding. I would assume that few will be wearing their uniform except on formal night- but in fact, uniform is uniform and the rules for wearing the uniform do not distinguish between cruise ship and on base. but I am sure that our armed forces know those rules far better than I.

Some people love to say how formal the waiters are dressed. What the hired help is wearing is a uniform and is required. There is a fine example of a dress code, and it is enforced.

Carnival knows exactly what it is doing and it is their job, and their job alone. Once again, it is the Fun Ship. :) Hint - the suggested dress is not a code at all.

Piano- this is the same board which goes on for pages about smuggling. And you are looking for consistency on what to wear in the dining room? The fact is there is no code any longer- Anything goes. Or nearly anything, since nobody "enforces" anything, or only the very most egregious behavior. And looking for anything else will probably explode your head.

You are right, 5waldos. :o But it frustrates me just the same. Oh, well. :confused:

Some people love to say how formal the waiters are dressed. What the hired help is wearing is a uniform and is required. There is a fine example of a dress code, and it is enforced.

Sorry- apparently this su-bdiscussion was misunderstood- we were discussing military uniforms. And the fact that military uniforms do not rely on Carnival to determine how they will be worn.

Carnival knows exactly what it is doing and it is their job, and their job alone. Once again, it is the Fun Ship. :) Hint - the suggested dress is not a code at all.

Right or wrong, I seems that is true. My only point is that Carnival should remove the "code" if they wish not to have it.

You are right, 5waldos. :o But it frustrates me just the same. Oh, well. :confused:

Yea- wear what you, or your other half, wants to wear and you will be fine. There will be no real help here- you have now been exposed to the good, the bad, and the ugly. And everything inbetween.

Archived