Hop On Hop Off Bus

psblin99

There had been so much talk of pick pockets, etc that I felt safer doing the HO HO bus, rather than local transport. I felt if it was a choice between 1 EUR or 23 EUR, the ruffians would take the 1 EUR. May or may not be true, but I know we never had a problem with anyone trying to rob us, or pick pocket us. We got to go where we wanted to go, and see what we wanted to see. The only thing really lacking was eating. My friend doesn't even eat Italian food, so it presented a real problem. I did get pizza down her once, but that was about it. And sandwiches were difficult too, because the bread was hard and we had both had dental work done prior to our trip.

But as for seeing Rome, we sure did. Even using the HO HO buses, we walked our feet off. After leaving Circus Maximus, up the hill, then across a street, and through the embassy row (actually almost got arrested by MPs for trying to take a photo of the US embassy), finally found a church called Sabina (when we saw the sign, decided it was prophesy as our friend left behind in California is named Sabina) so wanted to take some photos for her. They were actually filming a movie there that day, so we saw some Italian movie stars. Then to a terrace at the back of the church that overlooked all of Rome. It was amazing. Then sadly, we had to traverse back the way we had come and that was a long walk back to the HO HO stop.

And I sure don't agree with the poster that said "if you have a good map you can traverse Rome". Streets aren't on the map, they are named different than what's on the map, streets dead end when the map shows them going through, etc. Map makers never dreamed of a city like Rome. I had two maps from home and the one the hotel gave us. The one the hotel gave us was actually a little better because it was large enough print to read. And I also don't agree that central Rome is compact. It might seem to be if you are young and fit, but 10 or 20 blocks when you have a disability is not easy.

Have a great time exploring Rome, however you decide to do it.

Thanks Eleanor,

My travel companion is my 24 year old daughter but I will be 58. I survived her dragging me all over San Francicso last year so I imagine Rome will be ok.

We find that the best buses in Rome are the small 'electrico' buses that run throughout the central tourist areas including Termini, the castle, and Borghese. We use them frequently..especially when we are tired of walking.

TYMMV but I'd suggest public transportation and walking or get a private vehicle. The idea of taking a big "circle" of all the sites than get on and off and wait in a long line for the next bus seems terribly wasteful of time.

If money isn't an issue do a private tour, or if you are adventurous or on limited budget see it like the locals and by foot and public transportation.

good luck

Seems like a great way to see a lot. We don't want a guide just do not want to navigate. Any thoughts?

Seems like a great way to see a lot. We don't want a guide just do not want to navigate. Any thoughts?

We've done this in many European cities. And if you can just get over the stigma, I would tell you to do this. Being able to hop on and off is great. There is either a tour guide or a tour you plug headphones into for info on what you're seeing.

If you've never been to Rome before, there is no way you could hit the highlights without the bus. The evenings are for wandering.....

Have a great trip!

Archived